Stayed one night at the lodge. My room was next to the reception area and consisted of a large double bed which was comfortable. The bathroom was well appointed with a bath tub and large shower. Breakfast was well prepared with a variety of things to eat.
The staff were friendly.
(1) Because of the old state of the building there are many gaps in the woodwork. I missed having curtains to give more privacy.
(2) There is insufficient lighting so reading at night is impossible.
Have a cup of freshly ground coffee at the little cafe past the temple on the square.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Shaxi Laomadian Lodge Laomadian signifies 'Inn for old horses' and it used to lodge caravan owners traveling on the Tea-Horse Caravan Road, from Xishuangbanna to Tibet and further, transporting and trading mainly tea, but also other merchandises like salt, silver, copper etc. Situated between Dali and Lijiang, near Jianchuan, Shaxi was one of the important trading centers on the Tea-Horse Caravan Road since several hundred years. Winter 2006, after 4 years of restoration work by Swiss architects with the help of Jianchuan government and several Swiss and International fundings, Shaxi has regained its beauty and starts to attract visitors from afar to admire this one of the last well-conserved market centers on the famous Tea-Horse Caravan Road. Shaxi Laomadian is a compound consists of 3 courtyards and 6 shop-fronts. It is being renovate into a modern Lodge with 9 standard rooms and 3 dormitories, a tea house and a fusion restaurant/bar (Karma Cafe). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Shaxi Laomadian Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shaxi Laomadian Lodge China/Yunnan - Jianchuan County