“FIRST CLASS IN EVERY RESPECT”
Review of Who'd A Thought It

Who'd A Thought It
Ranked #1 of 1 Grafty Green B&B and Inns
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“FIRST CLASS IN EVERY RESPECT”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed here with friends recently for our 25th Wedding Anniversary celebration and I can't find fault with it in any way. We had spent our 20th on Burgh Island in Devon so this had something to live up to. All I can say is that it did just that. Our room was fantastic and everything you could want, the staff were amazing and so helpful at all times and the restaurant and food were stunning. We all had a brilliant time and will definitely be back. I can't recommend it enough.

Room Tip: the room we had and the one our friends had were both great. I can only imagine that they are all as...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andy M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 26 June 2014

So, my last night before I fly back home so decide to take a break from the normal hotels and look for something for my partner and I a little different.

Came across the Dom Ruinart "Suite" online and the photos looked good so decided to book. First thing to be aware is that full payment is taken up front so make sure the person taking your card details repeats them back to save them having to call you back later and you repeating them.

Overall a great looking place, a lot of hard work has been put into it from The Hotel Inspectors initial visit a few years ago. Easy to find and friendly staff there at the bar with a beer in hand when you arrive.

Could not fault the service at the bar and knowledge of wines, when they did not have any of what we requested staff went out of their way to help and advise on alternatives.

When I was showed the room and features it was a very quick and rushed walk though, the spa and hot tub were explained with emphasis on making sure the lid goes back on so it does not go cold, worth pointing out as I would be more upset arriving and finding a cold hot tub.

No explanation of how to play music on the SONOS system or details on how to connect to the dedicated Wi-Fi for the room. To top it all off the TV kept on loosing signal so for the 16 hours we had the room the TV worked for about 2 before dropping out and then not getting signal again. Saying this is was impressive to see such a crystal clear "no signal" on the impressive 55" HD Sony, I have to admit I did not raise this as I am not a big watcher of TV.

Before asking questions I decided to check the in room guide, a one line explanation and a grainy screenshot do not explain how certain things work (music) and the Wi-Fi code was not listed. I went out to find Joe and get the Wi-Fi code so I could work, he was nearby and happy to assist.

Decided to test out the outdoor hot tub, I think the best way of describing it was a lobster boiling pot! It certainly had been kept warm for us! Bottom line, unusable at the temperature it was at, decided to leave that for the night.

On the note of the hot tub this is not a room to book if you have kids, the chemicals are all kept in the bottom left hand draw of the unit below the TV. Not locked away so easily accessible, having said that this may not be booking this room if you have kids with you.

We eventually retired to bed and slept fantastically thanks to the black out curtains and the fantastic mattress we slept fantastically.

Breakfast was faultless, exactly what was needed.

We packed up and the car was loaded, gave the room one last check over (making sure remotes were back in place, towels were hung up and bed was made etc) then left the key on the side and departed. I then had a phone call about 4 hours later advising the door curtain rail had been ripped away from the wall and there was "extensive" damage so he has had to divert his onsite builder from other work to repair before tonight. Not a drama, asked for the cost and was advised 30 to resolve.

Now, there was no inspection of the room before we left so one word against another, being the sort of person I am I agreed to resolve but asked for photos of the damage to be emailed though. Between us leaving and the phone call we have no ideas who had access, let alone how the damage was caused.

We would like to think I could give this place a other chance however we have agreed we would rather spend our money in a conventional suite in some of the other local hotels and miss out on the key features of the room that we could not use anyway.

It is up to everyone to at least try somewhere however I hope that your experience was better than ours.

Room Tip: Don't go for the features, you may not get to use them.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Jeremy G
stamford lincs
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We were staying in bearsted in Kent and had tried out a few restaurants that were recommended in the area which were not all that it was Father's Day and we just had an awful lunch so I suggested that we go for a drink here as I had visited about 15 years previously and it was stunning then, well it's still the same the food looked so good I had to order another Sunday lunch but asked for the child's portion, the food was fantastic all the lovely vegetables so tasty it was just beautiful, the place reminds me of the crazy bear but with much friendlier staff! It's the by far the best place in the area and I tried most of them, the staff couldn't do enough for us it was a great end to our trip spot on.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank phoebewillett
Kent UK
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

My husband and I spent a night away for relaxation and what a no1 choice we made.

This place is not to be missed, a wonderful 3 course a' la carte meal, which included pan fried Cajun chicken with new potatoes and spinach with a finish of yoghurt on top. The price was extremley reasonable, and in the morning a beautifully cooked breakfast fit for a king.

Our room was quiet and very plush, with a chilled bottle of champagne and chocolates waiting for us. The room was so clean it looked like we we're the first couple to ever stay there,
We had a private decking area with padded chairs to relax on, which lead out from the room.

I would highly recommend this wonderful place for some time out with your loved one, for some alone time and peace.

Would like to add I do suffer with insomnia and I managed to sleep all through the night and woke up refreshed, the best night sleep I have had in a long time.

Thankyou to Joe and his amazing staff for making our stay so memorable.

• Stayed June 2014
london
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We spoiled ourselves by having the best room available for a birthday treat and it wasn't cheap, but we had such a fab time it was worth every penny and we still talk about it now. Breakfast was to die for and served in a fabulous laid back way, which made a pleasant change, we were not rushed in any way. Dinner in the restaurant was exactly the same. The best oysters i have had in a long time, and even though crab was not on the menu, it was not too much trouble for them. All in all a wonderful experience. We would definitely go back again.

Room Tip: Champagne and shoes room. Top of the list for expense, but a real treat. All rooms are nice and qu...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
uk
Reviewed 11 May 2014

wasnt sure what to expect, but had really lovely one night stay here. Room was great and had no issues with operating the hot tub - just persuading myself to get out was the main challenge ! Dinner was lovely accompanied by live piano/vocalist. Food superb, staff excellent and very attentive. If you havent been here before, give it a go - you wont be disappointed !

• Stayed May 2014
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I had a 2 night stay . It really was wonderful. The rooms are all unique , very different and set in very peaceful surrounds. The service levels were all very high and always provided in a very friendly and efficient manner. The pub is a unique mix of an old established English country pub and a very funky , chic champagne bar and restaurant. I have never seen anything like it before and it really works. The owners, are a very friendly family who have had the pub for about 40 years and who are all active in the management of the rooms, food and bar. I only had breakfast there and it was great - full English with full choices of extras. Overall good value for money.

Quick tip when setting your sat nav for the pub, as it really is in the middle of the Kent countryside, make sure to set it via Lenham which is only about 5 minutes down the road. If not you run the risk of being directed through some really tiny and almost unpassable lanes, very pretty but difficult to navigate

Room Tip: all the rooms are different so be clear as to which room you would like
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
#13 of 15 in Maidstone
Eastwell Manor
Eastwell Manor
#1 of 1 in Boughton Lees

Been to Who'd A Thought It? Share your experiences!