“Good food in nice surroundings ”
Review of The Castle Inn

The Castle Inn
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

We dined here on Saturday evening after first trying to book a table and being told that table reservations were not accepted, but just turn up an we will get you seated. I don’t really like this arrangement, especially on a Saturday evening as I like to know that if I am making the effort to go, I won’t be kept waiting about when I am hungry. In fairness, despite the pub being busy, we were seated immediately.
The renovations are wonderful and the pub looks beautiful both inside and out, and still retains it’s charm. I thought the menu was a little restricted, especially with regards to fish and seafood, given it’s location. There were a couple of specials available, but the menu is quite small and seemed to be lacking in some pub favourites, pies, curries and burgers etc. We are regularly in the area and I don’t think that there is enough variety at present for me to visit often. I think they are trying to be a bit different, but for me a larger menu is required.
What we did order however, was all very nice and the service was good. I will return but hope to find a bit more variety on the menu in the future.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We have been occasional visitors to this lovely thatched pub close to Lulworth Cove because of it's award-winning range of real ale and ciders but alas no more. We discovered on our visit on Bank Holiday weekend that it has been taken over by Butcombe Brewery. Now I have nothing against Butcome per se, their beers are perfectly drinkable, but with this, their first attempt at ownership apparently, they have taken away a lot of the internal character of the pub, opening it out as an eaterie, and their beer range is now restricted to two Butcombe beers. Everywhere you look there are signboards and little jokey phrases hammering the message that gin is the thing to be drinking, and the once delightful tiered beer garden seems to have been left to it's own devices and now looks very uncared for. Admittedly on a busy afternoon, all the tables in the garden were stacked high with glasses which made it look even worse. What a pity that one of my favourite Dorset pubs has been turned onto this.

1  Thank Andy D
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Passing by, popped in for lunch. Not cheap but the pub looked so inviting. The interior was just as nice. 3 order sandwiches all come on HOT plates. What’s going on with the cook no kitchen should be letting food go out like this. Other food looked ok but very disappointed. If you go for a sandwich ask for cold plates and you will then probably enjoy them as they were ok but ruined as salad and bread are not meant to be served hotw

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Went into town to explore houses and to get something to eat before heading out. We walked from Luleworth Lodge it is a bit of a hike. Not good after hiking all day. Anyway nice restaurant inside. Just had a beer and fries. There is a tavern area and restaurant area.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The pub has recently been refurbished and looks very nice but the menu is extremely limited, expensive for what they offer (fish and chips £14). This would have been ok but the batter was overcooked and the chips were tasteless. Shame as it is in a lovely location. Won't be going back.