“Small and dull”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in West Lulworth
Bath, United Kingdom
“Small and dull”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The hotel was ok but found our room was small and had quite a bit of dust. Even worse there was a cob web by the window. Although this did not ruin our holiday it just made us think we wouldn't expect that from a cheap B&B let alone the price of yours. Sorry but it's just an honest review

Room Tip: Check to make sure it's clean
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jakkey
EJW2901, General Manager at Limestone Hotel, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback on trip advisor.

Unfortunately, no one of my team here have any recollection of your stay nor have we ever had any comments like this upon check out. Therefore, it is very difficult to address the matter if we do not know who you are or which room you stayed in.

It would be extremely helpful if you could email me direct edward@limestonehotel.co.uk and let me know when you actually stayed.

All of my team here are trained to ask specific questions upon checkout, the most obvious being "did you enjoy your stay with us". I have spoken to each team member and no one has mentioned anything relevant to your review.

I am very sorry if our housekeeping did let us down on this occasion. However, please be assured our normal housekeeping standards are very high.

I hope this has not deterred you from choosing Limestone Hotel in the future. If you would like to contact me direct regarding your stay it would be extremely helpful.

Kind regards,

Edward J Wilkes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Brockenhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last week-the staff were incredibly friendly. Each bedroom has it's own personality (boathouse, stable, chocolate room etc) with everything you could need provided. Thank you to Melanie for showing us around.
The afternoon tea is a must to try. The hotel is approximately 5-10 minutes from the cove which is perfect for walking but far away enough from all the other tourists staying right next to the cove as it does get extremely busy.
The food was very nice with the French chef saying hello at the end of the evening. In my opinion there is some charm to it!
Breakfast is cooked to order unlike most hotels- I recommend the smoked salmon and scrambled egg. It was the best.
I could write for ever. If you want a laid back friendly mouth watering trip then this is your place. Nothing is too much for this team and surely we will return.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank KellyH122
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for such a wonderful review and kind words!

I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay here at Limestone Hotel. It is always wonderful to receive such positive comments about our team, please rest assured your comments will be passed on.

I am also pleased to read you enjoyed both dinner and breakfast. We are lucky to have such talented and passionate chefs who make the most out of the local produce available to us.

Once again, thank you for your fantastic review and I look forward to welcoming you back to Limestone Hotel & Restaurant.

Edward
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

after booking a weekend break i was informed by a rude foreign national that the dates i has selected were actually unavailable but an alternative was offer which was OK. upon arrival i had no car parking space as there was mini in my rooms designated spot which meant i had a long walk to the hotel from the road. Then there was a long wait in the so called reception before being noticed by a boy just out of school who was the so called manager. I was shown to the stable room and was immediately disappointed because it literally looked like a prison cell. i informed the manager about my disappointment but was told there was nothing they could do and i could not be moved to another room as it was not ready. I decided to stay but wish i hadn't as not only was the room like a prison the food was awful, bland and like something from the 1970's. everything seamed that it was too much trouble for the manager and his partner who both basically ignored me for the rest of the weekend. I for one will not be returning to this hotel

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank leebeee
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I know I'm going to end up repeating much of what's been said before so I'll keep this short.
The staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful. I'd like to extend my special thanks to Steve (the only one whom I know by name) for service above and beyond the call of duty.

Meals excellent -the plaice is to die for.

Negatives - yes, but not enough to reduce the rating to four star.
1 The rooms overlooking the garden get extremely hot. If, like us, you're not a fan of the heat, consider bringing a fan.
2 No decaffeinated coffee available - a very surprising and irritating oversight
3 Only discovered on the final day that the socket for electric shavers is very cunningly concealed on top of the bathroom mirror. However, the position is such that the cord on my razor was too short to enable me to use it. (I borrowed the only available extension lead in the meantime).

Easy walk to Lulworth Cove (which I review elsewhere).

Note: if you're thinking of visting places west of Weymouth / Dorset, I would suggest you go via the northern suburbs of Weymouth rather that the Dorchester ring road, which is extremely difficult to access and egress.

EJW2901, Owner at Limestone Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear reviewer,

I am very pleased to read you enjoyed your 4 night stay in 'The Boat House' room.

It is always excellent to receive such positive comments regarding the team here at Limestone. They all work exceptionally hard and your comments are extremely appreciated and have been passed on to the rest of the team.

In regards to the decaff coffee. I am not sure what happened on this occasion, but all the rooms have decaffeinated coffee and we always have plenty downstairs. I apologies if there was miss-communication on this occasion.

We have been extremely lucky with the exceptionally warm weather and high temperatures this summer. I apologies we did not have any fans available when you stayed, but we have since purchased 5 fans which are now available upon request.

Please rest assured we do take all customer comments on board and are proactive in making the necessary changes and updates to the hotel.

I thank you for your informative review and do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Limestone Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our overnight stay at this hotel very much. The hotel has designated parking which is a bonus in Lulworth.
The approach to the hotel is quite steep , this is made clear; also made clear is that staff will help you with your luggage should you need this.
Our room was compact but comfortable clean and well appointed and suitable for an overnight stay.( Library) Toiletries bottled water shower hats etc were also provided.
As we came off the ferry in Weymouth we could not book a time for dinner, but we were provided with a table in the restaurant where we had a well cooked and very enjoyable meal. Afterwards we sat outside to enjoy the beautiful view.
Breakfast menu had a wide variety of choices and again was well cooked. Staff are all very attentive and helpful. I am sure we will return.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
EJW2901, General Manager at Limestone Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your 5 star review!

I am very pleased you had a comfortable over night stay and enjoyed Limestone Hotel.

Your descriptive and accurate review will enable others to make an informed decision when looking for a hotel in Dorset.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Limestone in the near future.

Western Australia
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I did not want to leave the beautiful corner of the world that is Lulworth Cove. There are walks to be had here that will stay with your the rest of your life. The village itself is gorgeous, even before you stroll the short distance to the water's edge of the most beautiful cove. And then, too, for those braver souls, the trek up to the magnificent cliffs will not disappoint. So, yes, what a location! However, the real surprise, the bounty, was staying the night at Limesone Hotel. How we wish we had booked for two! In two weeks travelling five-star hotels all the way, it is the one night we luxuriated at Limestone Hotel that stays with us! Friendly does not begin to describe the welcome we received. Everyone is lovely. I can't ever remember hearing singing from a kitchen before; yes, it was that special. When people love what they do, their joy infuses all and sundry. The food, and I say this with all sincerity, was the best we ate in the whole two weeks in England. The breakfast was to die for! And, yes, some may think the rooms a tad small, but not the Seaside Suite where we stayed. It was perfect, with heavenly views. You know, we couldn't have cared less if the room was small (it wasn't, is in fact actually quite large) because the company of beautiful hosts and the dining experience were refreshing. We arrived strangers, and left friends. Does it get any better than that? Thank you, all the way from Australia, for making one night so very, very special. We love Limestone Hotel and all that the team are working hard to do. Keep singing!

Room Tip: Choose the Seaside Suite, if you can. It's heavenly, with great views.
EJW2901, Owner at Limestone Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear reviewer (apologies trip advisor does not allow me to address you by name).

A HUGE thank you from all the team here at Limestone for your fantastic review and kind words.

I am so pleased to read your comments and we too wished you could have stayed longer. The singing is a common occurrence and can get very competitive in the kitchen.

I shared your review at our weekly team meeting and it put a smile on everyone's face. Your positive comments are extremely motivating during this hot and busy period.

Once again, I cannot thank you enough for your wonderful review and lovely comments. I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and please do come and visit us when you are next in the UK.

With best wishes from all the team!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We overnighted here on a short-break driving holiday. As others have observed, the rooms are small - but comfortable...for the price though, perhaps a little more space would be nice. The shower was very small and nowhere comfortable to sit in the room...

For whatever reason, we failed to receive the email advising that it was absolutely necessary to book for dinner - with the result that we thought we would have to go out to eat. Thankfully the staff went out of their way and the kitchen began a little earlier than usual in order to provide us with an excellent dinner.

Breakfast, included in the price, was excellent also.

1 Thank Gen F
EJW2901, Owner at Limestone Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2014
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for your trip advisor review.

I am very pleased to read you enjoyed your brief stay at Limestone. You are quite right in stating that some of our standard rooms are fairly small. However, we have tried to make them as comfortable and interesting as possible. As the building is over 100 years old we are limited to some degree with the amount of changes we can make to the property.

For longer stays I would recommend booking one of our superior rooms which are much more spacious.

Our restaurant can get very busy during peak times. We therefore state in all confirmation emails that it is highly advisable to book in advance to avoid disappointment.

However, I am very pleased to read we were able to accommodate you in the restaurant at such short notice.

Once again thank you for your kind review and I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards,

Riviera Hotel
Riviera Hotel
#19 of 22 in Weymouth
Springfield Country Hotel

Been to Limestone Hotel? Share your experiences!