“Expected more”
Review of Bishops

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Lulworth
Bishops
Ranked #9 of 13 West Lulworth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Only stayed here for one night whilst visitng the area and had hoped to find a romantic getaway we would want to return to but after initial good impressions we left disappointed. We arrived on a horrible wet afternoon to a warm welcome and shown to an attractive room (to be expected for £150 per night). The room was nicely decorated with a huge comfortable bed but was minimalist to the point of being spartan. The bathroom whilst well finished lacks some finishing touches expected in a boutique hotel such as somewhere to place your toiletries and the towels were decidedly small. My husband also remarked that the basin was barely big enough to use for shaving and really only cloakroom proportions. As it was cold the heating had been turned on but the room remained tepid. After being asked if we were warm enough we mentioned that the radiators obviously need some attention to be told they would be checked tomorrow - no help at all to us staying one just night! The bed was extremely comfortable and fortunately had a lovely warm quilt. One other thing we noticed was that the roman blinds don't quite fit the windows and come well short of the sills. When will english hoteliers realise that a 'Boutique Hotel' should mean special not just small.
The other part of my review realates to the restaurant.We had pre booked to eat in the hotel without realising that the menu was so limited with only seafood mainly served with pasta. A problem if you have a shellfish allergy and don't eat pasta like me. We both ordered fish mains and found them very poor value at £14.95 my tiny Bream fillet came served with just potatoes and my husbands Sea bass with a tastless risotto. The desserts were tasty but nothing special.
Bishops did redeem itself with a fabulous breakfast. A really well cooked full english alongside. cereal, warm croissants a fruit platter and yoghurts.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank merlion02
Philip Bill A, Owner at Bishops, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2013

Thank you for taking the time to highlight your points. I will try and respond. The decor is modern and with very clean lines. We did not want to clutter the rooms up with chintz and nick nacks. I can see that you are very experienced and older TripAdvisor reviewer, Therefore the room decor was not to your taste. On the same lines the bathrooms are very clean and modern. We have not put up any unnecessary shelves. However the square sink was designed, with the large flat edges, to accommodate bottles and potions. However I can see how it can be confusing, as is the soft closing loo seat, if that is not what you are used to. We will explain the bathroom better on the web site and to older guests as they cheque in. However we do not wish to sound patronising. I will cheque on the towel situation. However we supply bathrobes , slippers, hand towels, bath towels, Swimming towels, bathmats and flannels. Thank you for pointing out the Roman Blind. I have adjusted it. I am sorry I must have misunderstood on the heating. I was very happy to turn the heating up and supply you with a blow heater. However I came away from the conversation under the impression you where fine and I was not to bother. For that I am very sorry. The restaurant is a seafood one and always has been. Therefore I can understand you would not have booked if you had realised. Especially as you both have a shellfish allergy. We will try and make it even more clearer,we are a seafood restaurant, than it is on our literature, review sites, signs, cards and website. Also we will highlight it in conversations when people book. So when you ordered our Crayfish and lobster risotto with fillet of Sea bass and scallops, then ask for the shellfish to be taken out I am sure the risotto would have been bland. However I am glad that you had a good nights sleep, where warm and had a great breakfast. Even though we did not have hash browns and beans. We will continue to try harder as always. Thank you Philip

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We recently spent two nights in this hotel. First impresssions were good. The room we had was very well decorated, had a nice sitting room and a very nice beathroom. So far, good! The first disappointment was the only bar had Sky Sports on permanently. The next, we were told that quite a few things were off the menu, and told we could go to the hotel next door. We, however, decided to stay in the hotel to eat. Nice candle lit dining room and the food we had, despite restricted choice was good. The next day after arriving back at the hotel after a day out, we were told they had been unable to service our room, as we had taken the only key with us. It seems there was no master key. So no cleaning had been done, although the owner did say he would quickly service the room. This resulted in unmade bed, no clean towells, despite the towels in the room being damp, and obviously no cleaning done. We were then told by the owner, 'oh, by the way the restaurant is closed tonight, but you can go next door'. This was a birthday treat for me and we were hoping for a really good meal by candlelight. Instead, we had to eat at the hotel next door, which was adequate, but completely without atmosphere. The breakfasts were ok, but the cooked part not particularly well done. We did make a request when booking if we could have sheets and blankets instead of duvet, two blankets were left in our room for us to deal with ourselves. The two nights we spent there were very warm, and we certainly did not need a duvet of 13.5 tog. This hotel was in a beautiful place, the hotel itself very well presented, but the service we received left a lot to be desired.

Room Tip: All bedrooms are large and minimally furnished but adequate and well decorated.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Philip Bill A, Owner at Bishops, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Thank you for your responce. We will take on board your comments and try to do better. Sky is on for other guests and Monday is the day off for the staff this time of year. We could not chambermaid as you had the keys and the previous guests had gone off with their set. So you had the chambermaids. As i explained . When you came back I did the room very quickly myself. If you had wanted I would have cooked for you myself. At the time you did not highlight this as an issue.However in review they are. Please let us know at the time and we can put it right. Thank you once again and we will try to do better.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

We stayed here for one night for our anniversary. The Study room was lovely - gorgeous bathroom, huge bedroom area, sitting room and table in the sunshine. Plus, you can (just) see the sea! Really lovely and relaxing after the drive from London, could have stayed in there all day chilling out! The staff were helpful with giving us a parking pass (we forgot to print ours) and and providing an ice bucket for us.

We went elsewhere for dinner but at breakfast the fruit, croissants and yoghurts were lovely and the cooked breakfast was of excellent quality.

There were a couple of things that grated, though. Firstly the cooked breakfast given was very small. One small sausage and one slice of bacon? For £150 a night I expect more than that. Our shock must have showed because we were asked if we wanted more. Also, I personally would have preferred to have my own coffee pot, rather than having to ask for a refill.

Other than that, we enjoyed our stay. The chocolates in our room were a nice touch. We'd come again for a special occasion, but it's a little pricey for a 'normal' weekend away.

1  Thank RE H

Thank you for your points and we will take on board all you have to say. You can ask for all the English breakfasts you want. Two or three if you so desire . However I will talk to the kitchen. Thank you for your kind words.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

We have just returned from an absolutely fabulous 3 night break at Beautiful Lulworth Cove, made even better by our stay at Bishops. The owner was away but we were left in the very capable hands of his lovely daughter Emily who was so very helpful and friendly without being intrusive, nothing was too much trouble for her, always had a smile and she never seemed to go home!!! She instantly made us relax and we enjoyed our chats in the bar with her, her sense of humour matched ours, and she definitely needed it to cope with some of the customers, hats off to her, a great girl!

We were in the Study Room, HUGE!!!! Actually a suite!! With the most amazing bed and fabulous pillows .... always a rarity when staying away from home!! Yes there could be a few additional touches here and there and it is starting to look a little tired but then it has been a very busy, fully booked season, they can be sorted once it has quietened down, it didn't take hinder our stay at all. (Also, toilet roll ran out luckily on last morning, the chambermaid only seemed to restock the coffee and milk and not touch anything else, but we had made ourselves at home and the room probably looked like a bomb had hit it so she probably didn't know where to start!! ).

Lovely fluffy gowns and new slippers provided, free wifi, lots of coffee and tea options and chocolates too!! Hotel is just metres from the cove, but never seemed noisy at night, we had our windows wide open and I am normally a light sleeper, but I slept so well (probably also helped from the exhaustion from all the fabulous walking!!), until the seagulls woke in the morning, the only drawback of being so close to the sea.

We only at in the restaurant for an evening meal one night, but it was outstanding. Not a huge choice but it was all fresh, cooked to order and true to the fresh local ingredients, fish, which it should be. Beautifully presented and wonderful flavours. The garlic prawns were out of this world, as was the seabass with the crayfish risotto. (The scallops my husband had would have been a little better if the pancetta wrapped around them was crispy, for a contrast in texture, but still delicious!). The other two nights we tried the café and pub close by, which were good but food not a patch on Bishops.

The breakfasts ..... OH MY GOD!!!!! Amazing!!!! Again, HUGE!!!! You sit down with a beautiful platter of wonderful fresh, sliced fruit already on your table, fresh yoghurts and croissants. You then have a great choice for cooked food. My husband chose the Full English on the first morning, I luckily only chose scrambled eggs on toast, His breakfast was a feast! Definitely very generous with the portions, but as a lot of walking was done it was very welcome. My scrambled eggs were delicious, very creamy and well seasoned. The next two mornings however we just had the cereal and croissants and didn't need anything else as otherwise we would not have eaten anything else the rest of the day!!

Also a good well stocked bar which included my favourite, Hendricks Gin, which I think I drank the bar dry of and cask ale which my husband helped demolish!! Beautiful wine with the evening meal too which wasn't over priced.

We used the pool on a couple of the days, fortunately weather has been cracking this week, although pool was still very cold, but I braved it none the less. Yes it is a little shabby around the pool, but I think it added to the charm, and the view over the Cove was just breathtaking. Pool is very private and for residents and owners use only, which made it even better as we practically had it to ourselves, heaven!

We loved this place, and we would totally recommend it to anybody, if you want somewhere that has class but isn't pretentious with it, instantly makes you feel relaxed and welcome and know all about good fresh local food, this is it.

Thank you for making our break exactly what we needed.

Room Tip: Try for the Study Room, (or suite) if you can. A huge lounge, a huge bedroom and a huge bathroom wi...
1  Thank Jo B

Thank you for your kind words. It has been a long season and we appreciate all the nice things you say. We look forward to seeing you again very soon. Philip and Liesl

Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed at Bishops in Lulworth Cove for two nights in July, and it didn't disappoint. Located above the quay side it has fabulous views over the bay. The suite was spacious and simply furnished with tasteful furnishings - no clutter or nik-naks. Phil the owner is friendly and runs a well-stocked bar and we had some good conversation over a complimentary beer.

We didn't eat in the restaurant, except for breakfast which was good.

It's a little scruffy in places with a few cracks around the heated pool, but I quite like this as Lulworth is becoming a little too corporate-polished for my liking.

Five stars all round. We will definitely return.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We had 2 nights at this hotel & we had high expectations at £150 per night. The room did not disappoint, clean white decor, giant bed, a couple of leather chairs & a great bathroom. Nice touches as well, the small bar of choc with the tea making stuff, the bottles of mineral water each side of the bed. Slight criticism, these weren't there for the 2nd night & the products in the bathroom were not replaced!
The restaurant element was really good, I like the fact it had a limited menu as it shows the food is fresh. A very reasonable wine list as well.
We would like to go back but the high price might be a deciding factor.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Philip Bill A, Owner at Bishops, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2013

Thank you for your kind words and I will talk to the chambermaid.... We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Philip and Liesl

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Stayed at Bishops in the Bar room (more like a suite!) for two nights on my own as a means to recover from illness and the beauty of Lulworth cove combined with the luxury of this small boutique hotel was just what I needed! The room was gorgeous, huge heavenly bed and a living area with sofa and double windows over looking the hills. Amazing television that swung out from the wall with freeview channels, HD, wifi, bottled water, chocolates, fluffy dressing gowns, antique furniture. I could have lived there! The young lady in charge and behind the bar (she never seemed to go home!) looked after my every need and nothing was too much trouble, even the options of having breakfast in my room (I didn't take this up in the end because the restaurant was so lovely) although I did have a cheeseboard upstairs! Breakfast was a delight - great choice of hot food including eggs benedict and I loved the presentation of the fresh flowers on the table, Dorset cereals, bowls of fresh fruit including pineapple, strawberries and blueberries and miniature vintage milk bottles. It was worthy of a photo! The homemade croissants were divine. The girl serving breakfast was very friendly and the whole place had a really relaxed atmosphere, not pretentious at all. I was made to feel welcome as a solo guest. Wish I could go back tomorrow! Oh and the location is wonderful, just a few metres from the cove and the hotel provide you with a parking voucher to park for free in the main car park just a few minutes walk away. Thank you for a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo

My daughter Emily was chuffed with your review. I tried to get her to respond but she has made me. I am very pleased that when we where away it all went well. I am very glad you had a great stay and we are very much looking forward to you coming back. Thanks again for writing such a wonderful and personal review.....We all wish you well and hope your recovery continues well. Thanks again. Philip, Liesl and Emily

Also consider these accommodations in or near West Lulworth
#6 of 22 in Weymouth
Riviera Hotel
Riviera Hotel
#20 of 22 in Weymouth

Been to Bishops? Share your experiences!