“A culinary jewel in Dorset's crown!”
Review of Limestone

Limestone
Reserve with OpenTable
Limestone is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: The restaurant at Limestone reflects a traditional country house. But combined with a fusion of bright, modern colours makes this a unique dining experience, enhanced by spectacular views over this quintessential part of the English countryside. Our restaurant provides an elegant yet informal setting for morning coffee, afternoon tea and dinner. Accommodating up to 26 people the restaurant can also be hired for private functions. Included in your room rate, you will be able to enjoy a traditional English breakfast as well as a few house breakfast specialties Our chef has prepared an exquisite "A La Carte" menu, offering the freshest seafood caught the same morning from the cove. Limestone's Restaurant also offers a large selection of daily specials according to the season and availability of local produce. We also offer a vegetarian menu, but would appriciate notice prior to arrival.
Reviewed 1 August 2014

This is a lovely restaurant on the outskirts of West Lulworth, with fantastic views from the terrace over the rolling hills towards the sea. The staff here are attentive and friendly, combining excellent service within a relaxed atmosphere. The food was not only delicious but,in comparison with some other restaurants in and around Lulworth Cove, reasonably priced. There was a good variety of starters for between 5 & 7 pounds, while the main courses were about 14/15 pounds. The lamb cutlets were tender and full of flavour, while the parsnip mash provided a tasty contrast to the well-flavoured herby sauce. The dishes were accompanied by a tasty selection of vegetables - the chef kindly passed on his recipe for butternut squash, but I wished I could just marry him! The portions were just right, so we had room for dessert (the lemon meringue roulade was a delight, too). Strongly recommended.

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

A lovely restaurant with great views from the terrace and prompt attentive service in a relaxed setting. The menu was attractive and varied, with good variety and local specialities. The food was nicely cooked and the portions were generous without being so huge that you waddled out feeling so stuffed that you never needed to eat again.
The scallops starter and dressed crab main were a particular highlight.
Overall my wife and I were delighted with this restaurant, only 5 doors down from where we were staying in picturesque Lulworth. It was good value for money- if you were paying £10 per course more you could be slightly critical about wanting forensic attention to detail in the dishes- but as it was, we were more than satisfied. Will visit again!

Reviewed 20 July 2014

pros: attention to detail and service was second to none. The manager (server) from eastern block possibly?, was very very professional and accommodating.
the setting is spectacular, arrive 45 mins early and have a drink outside.
cons:
dinning room looked liked from Faulty Towers, rather dated and "old fashioned"
food: I'd built up my expectations, it was OK but not "spectacular" ... strange wine by the glass selections, loads of great white wines, only two mediocre reds. outstanding though was the mackerel, truly a memorable dish:)
overall 4/5 stars.. not sure worthy of Micheline ?

1  Thank nick341
Reviewed 19 July 2014

We had tried to book a table a few days before our actual visit, only to be told that all tables had been booked, telling me just how popular the Limestone Inn was, so I had high hopes for this restaurant.
I can honestly say that it lived up to my expectations as the food was of EXELLENT quality! I had had a stomach ache that evening so I skipped my starter, leaving my family to have the Limestone's scallops which, when the pain subsided, I had a taste of. I found the scallops the best I had ever tasted, sweet and mildly salty.
My actual main course was lamb cutlets; these were succulent and tender, with a flavourful gravy which was like a cherry on a cake. My only complaint was the fact that each cutlet cost £5, which made the whole dish, (+the gravy,) cost £16 which was a bit much for the amount on my plate. For my desert, I finished off with ice cream, they had their own custom flavours: (honeycomb hash, serious chocolate, ect.) I had the honeycomb hash which, although not being my favourite ice cream ever, was still delicious and finished the meal on a high. The thing which makes the rating 5/5 not 4/5 is the fact that the chef actually came out to ask us about our evening, making this a memorable meal for all if us.

1  Thank Ben_Dyyy
Reviewed 19 July 2014

On our first visit to Limestone on a Monday it was fully booked, we booked for the next night and I'm glad we did because it was full again. This is a very small restaurant and boutique hotel, only recently converted from a B&B. Its French chef is doing a splendid job keeping the menu short and buying local produce.

We started with scallops on pea puree. A classic combination which didn't disappoint.

Then I had dressed crab with seafood sauces. I enjoyed it very much but it really was just crab in a crab shell. The seafood sauces were subtle and tasty. I'd encourage chef to be a bit more creative with the crab.

My companions ate the Dorset lamb with a rosemary and thyme jus. Everybody enjoyed this but I thought that just three rib cutlets from a rack of lamb for £16.50 was a bit on the stingy side.

I finished with Lemon Panna Cotta with fruits of the forest. Delicious.

The wine list is modest and good value for money. My only serious criticism is that the restaurant is trying very hard to be upmarket and yet it is incongruous that it serves its wine in pub 125 ml wine glasses rather than thin glass or crystal.

The service was excellent. The chef took the trouble to circulate with his guests after the mains had been cooked. They tried very hard to please.

1  Thank Paul T