“Avoid like the plague - makes a travelodge feel luxurious” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Beach Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in West Lulworth
The Beach Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in West Lulworth
Weston Super Mare
“Avoid like the plague - makes a travelodge feel luxurious”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2009

The Beach Hotel - Lulworth
Where do we start:

Dog faeces outside our bedroom window left for three days with their dog that whined most nights. Smashed glassware outside the fire escape which although we made staff aware - stayed as a health and safety hazard for 3 days.
If you get a package - not that we recommend you stay here at all - please book for dinner as although a meal may be included in the package - if you don't book a table you might not get to eat.
The weekend was runied by the owner's daughters and brattish university friends partying all night - lots of illegal drug taking - and them bragging about it over breakfast were disappointing to say the least.
A lottery as to whether the cold water tap in room worked. Dirty linen left in our room and not removed by room service. The kettle didn't work properly to make a cup of tea.
Lots of other unhappy tourists with the service.

The worst part was the arrogance of the owner - not the first clue in customer service. When guests tried to give feedback the response was "this is my house - like it or lump it"

The one positive is that the food (dinner) was very good. Poor service over breakfast.

Beach house hotel - Lulworth cove

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank shawtrust55

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2009

Having stayed at the Beach Hotel twice in the last 3 months, I must confess I felt nothing short of sheer surprise after reading some of the negative reviews outlined before in this thread.

I think this is clearly a case where people should work on managing their expectations better. To make it clearer, if you’re looking for a 5 star Maldives-style holiday, then you may find it useful to go abroad and pay £300/£500 per room per night plus flights and transfers, etc. Now, if you’re looking for a quiet break in one of the UK’s prime seaside locations at a reasonable £100/£120 per night (peak rates), at a friendly, cosy, family-run hotel, then the Lulworth Beach Hotel will be the right choice.

My wife and I travel by train from London to Wool, usually on Fridays, arriving after 11.00pm. Despite the late hours we have always been greeted by the owners in a very friendly way, and they go the extra mile to make us feel comfortable. The thing that really compels us to return to the Beach Hotel whenever we go to Lulworth is the fact that we never feel like we’re actually staying in a hotel – it’s more like staying at a friend’s holiday home, where your hosts get to know you and make you feel welcome. As such, I couldn’t care less if there are faults in the décor (which, really, unless you’re very peaky you’ll actually struggle to spot) and things alike. Again, you’re not staying in a £300 a night hotel room. The restaurant, Pebbles is a bit overpriced, yes. But at the end of the day you have the choice of eating somewhere else! I personally don’t as I find the food there extremely pleasant and that suits my expectations (try the chocolate fondant with pistachio ice cream if you do go there for a meal!). Moreover, if you fancy an after-dinner drink, try going to the bar next door (also run by the owners) and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere.

To sum-up, if your plan is to enjoy Lulworth to the fullest, go to the beach and/or go for long walks on the seaside hills whilst staying at a welcoming, confortable hotel, then I do encourage you to call the Beach Hotel and make a reservation. If your aim is to stay indoors all the time benefitting from a lavish type of service and from super modern and stylish facilities, then try a 5 star resort in the Indian/Pacific Ocean.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DuarteP
Sussex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2009

The Beach Hotel Experience did not start well for us. On arrival the first thing I noticed were the filthy windows and planter at the front of the building filled with broken flower pots. On venturing inside the place smelt terrible with the restaurant filled with scuffed and scruffy furniture. We waited around for a while and the lady cleaning the floors decided she would book us in........there was never any owner or manager to be seen during our stay. Then she rushed off, still not booked in! When she eventually returned and showed us to our room (supposedly one of their best!!!!!) the scruffy dirty carpet and general lack of cleanliness continued in the communal areas. Inside our room the first thing I noticed was the conduit carrying the wiring for the TV hanging off the wall! Next was the mould growing on the ceiling around those filthy windows I went into the bathroom to wash my hands and noted the taps were plumbed in the wrong way round!!!(potentially unsafe I would have thought?). As I turned to wipe my hands I noted the charming 4ft crack in the floor tiles! This was nicely juxtaposed with the chipped veneer on the door. As the list grew I thought I would ring the owner however the phone was filthy so thought better of it. Back in the bathroom my partner noted the black mould growing on the tiles around the shower. Adding to the hazards in the bathroom was the sharp plastic trim protruding from the bottom of the shower screen.............I could go on and on and on.......mentioning the dirty curtains of different lengths and the bathroom extractor clogged with dust, but I dont want to appear negative! This place is bad. We didnt let the poor accommodation affect our stay but speaking to other guests our experience was not unique. They reported poor food at Pebbles Restaurant. and we weren't going to give the owners more of our hard earned cash than we had to by eating there. Lulworth Cove is a magical place and we saw loads of really great looking B&Bs in the immediate area my advice would be stay in one of these. A NOTE TO THE OWNERS: A tin of magnolia paint and a leatherette headboard do not a "Boutique Hotel" make............in fact I recommend that you stay at your hotel as a guest for a couple of nights the honestly reflect on your experince.......Copy of this review to Dorset Trading Standards.

2 Thank FaustoCoppiSussex

Travellers are raving about these West Lulworth hotels

Southsea, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2009

We set off for the Lulworth Beach Hotel with serious reservations having read other TripAdvisor reviews after booking (which involved some chasing on our part as the hotel staff are not good at responding to emails, and are a bit slow on the admin side). Happily, once we got there we had a good experience. The location is fantastic, only a minute's walk from the cove. A parking permit was provided for the public car park a couple of minutes walk up the hill from the hotel. We found the room to be clean, spacious enough (we stayed in room 24) and had a nice view across the duck pond. The only downside was that the bed was a bit uncomfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful, and were more than happy to find space for our bikes in an adjacent store room. We gave dinner at the hotel a miss and only had breakfast, which was reasonable but nothing to write home about. The hotel certainly offers a relaxed atmosphere and a good location, but I think the place is certainly at least £10-20 per night too expensive.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
derby
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2009

I booked this hotel before reading the reviews and then doubted my selection. I need not have worried. We had booked room 20 and was not disappointed. The room was well presented, the bed extremely comfy and the view was fab. We had dinner at the hotel tew nights and eat out the other but I much preferred the hotel menu. The breakfasts were plentiful and the staff were friendly. The pub below the decking was both welcoming and friendly.
i would like to add the I spend at least three nights a week in business hotels as a general rule and therefore know when a hotel is not up to scratch. I can honestly say our stay at the hotel was both relaxing and most enjoyable. We will be back

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Lincoln
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2009

Unpretentious; unusual; great room; excellent service; some very good food (especially the puddings). After three nights we knew we would come back. Not expensive for the location and quality of service. No fuss, friendly, very well conceived small hotel. I was reminded of the best French seaside hotels I've stayed in. We gave it five stars all round (except for the very poor breakfast sausage).

1 Thank soulsound97
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2009

Beautiful location, pity about the value for money and the attitude of the owner. My husband and I stayed for two nights in May. We were disappointed by the room we were shown to - apparently one of their best? The bathroom was cold and had damp towels and sounded like the pipes were coming out of the wall whenever we flushed the toliet. Unfortunately we ate in the restaurant the first night. The scallops were cold and the seafood risotto had a layer of grease over it. However, cold and greasy food is apparently expensive. Needless to say we ate elsewhere the second evening. Whilst speaking with the owner we were felt fobbed off. She didn't care about anything else than taking our money. Which we didn't think was good value. Lulworth Cove is a beautiful place, just better to stay somewhere else.

1 Thank BB111London
Riviera Hotel
Riviera Hotel
#19 of 22 in Weymouth
Springfield Country Hotel

Been to The Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!