“Outstanding in every respect”

Tamarind Fine Indian Dining
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Blofield
Price range: US$27 - US$47
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 18 August 2014

It isn't very often we get a child free night so decided to go to the Tamarind for a treat. What can I say other than exceptional food and exceptional service. Had such a lovely evening. Thank you.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

Wow, what a disappointment! I'm assuming it was the usual chef's night off based on the other reviews!

Firstly the food: The starter was lovely, extremely well cooked and beautifully flavoured, even the home made mango chutney with the papadoms was much better than usual, but when the mains came there were disappointing, a little bland, and certainly not as nice as some other places in Norwich (3 stars here!)

The venue: Lovely place, nicely kitted out, lots of space between the tables which I liked very much (4 stars here!)

The service: This is where the place is very jekle and hyde! The young chap taking the order with the ipad was very nice, cheery, and generally provided top notch service (5 stars for him!). But the older gentleman was unpleasant and very sexist, not in a "funny ladish" way either, just plain rude to my partner. We overheard a table of ladies nearby complaining about his attitude also. (0 stars for him!)

So overall, very disappointing, we wont be going back, and I'd highly recommend you keep you've wives and girlfriends away.

Namaste India, Masala garden, Ali Tandori and The Merchants of Spice are better.

14  Thank BDS713
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I kept hearing so many good things about this restaurant, so my wife and I decided to give it a go. We were not disappointed. Despite service being a little slow - it was a Saturday night and they were extremely busy - we soon forgave them, as the food was excellent.
Drinks and popadoms appeared very quickly, only the courses after that were a little bit slow, though the staff were very attentive and very friendly.
Monkfish Tikka was excellent, as were the Lamb Samosas, Podina Chicken and Peshwari Lamb, the latter 2 dishes being among Tamarind's `Specials'.
Portion sizes were just right, though I felt that rice portions could maybe have been a touch more generous; one portion of pilau rice was not quite enough for two, though my wife disagreed!
The atmosphere is good, with plenty of space and a pleasant, contemporary decor.
Pleasantly surprised by the bill too: just £50 for 2 people, including a bottle of wine.
We'll definitely be back and can thoroughly recommend this great addition to the rural Norfolk dining scene.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

After trying a number of disappointing takeaways around Norwich, we decided to go out for a change. We'd seen the reviews of Tamarind and thought we'd give it a go.
We arrived on time and were shown to our table by very friendly, attentive staff. Our drinks arrived quickly, as did some poppadoms and chutneys.
We ordered a mixed starter which was quite nice - I found the lamb tikka a little bit tough though. We also had chicken podina and chicken pathia, both were really tasty and had a thick sauce with a good consistency. The pathia was very sweet which I found appealing. We expected the podina to taste slightly fresher with its coriander, mint and chilli flavour, but I enjoyed it regardless and would order it again.
Overall, a great experience, and I look forward to eating there again.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Went to Tamarind last night for the first time after hearing plenty of positive comments about it. The restaurant is very well done, great décor, quality cutlery and very well lit. The welcome was great and despite being early on a Thursday evening, the place was then starting to fill up. The thing with this restaurant, it is a high quality restaurant that just happens to serve indian food.

As regards the food and drink, well Leffe is a rarity in an Indian for a start and with quality beer like this it was always going to be a winner. Ordered up the poppadoms and pickle tray, very high quality, especially the lime pickle which wasn't oily and had the right amount of bite without being overly hot. The main course was just as impressive, Monkfish Bahaar, yes Monkfish at an Indian restaurant, what a result. Lemon and Chilli Rice, Sag Paneer, Bindhi Bahjee and a Mint Naan went alongside this and this was more than enough for the two of us. All the food was really well flavoured, quality ingredients and great presentation.

Previously I would have said that the Merchants of Spice was the best Indian in the Norwich area. Not any longer. Tamarind now takes the crown of being Norwich's number one Indian restaurant. Absolutely superb.

1  Thank Norwich_Muncher