“Outdated”

Lakeside International Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Frimley Green
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Think of 'Dynasty' in the 80s and you have it. Decor is out of date although some rooms have been updated. Staff don't seem to care and take no pride in there jobs. Meals? not bad. Amenities? not alot. There is a gym which the hotel advertises has a Steam room and Sauna but the Sauna door doesn't shut properly causing a draught making it the coldest sauna I have ever been in and as for the Steam room it has apparently been out of order for over 6 months. When asked a local regular user of the gym she said that the staff have been told to fob guests off by telling them that they are awaiting a part to fix the steam room with no real intention of ever fixing it. The impression that you get with this hotel is cost cutting to the extreme.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank tc1963

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We booked the lodges on booking.com based on the site inform and paid in advance.

From the main hotel access to the lodges is gained via some 250 meters of a poorly maintained set of car parks and what appears to be a builders yard complete with two sets of porta-cabins, recycling bin with various number of vans and a truck.

Whilst described as "lodges" they are in fact three blocks of two storey buildings more akin to a prison block, complete with various parts of the sofits missing.

Whilst the information proudly states refurbished the ceiling in our bathroom was badly stained brown quite clearly caused by an old leak in the room above.The information also stated a separates desk space. Unfortunately what it does not say is that there is insufficient space to be able to place a chair and sit at it.

There is no telephones in the room and in order to contact reception you have go to the block opposite and open and use the red emergency phone. This means that as in our case we had on two separate occasions "neighbours" who for ever reason deemed it necessary to carry out various activities to 6.0 am in the morning there is no safe way of directly contacting reception.

Finally do not bother complaining. On the second day we complained regarding the ceiling which quite clearly one member of staff thought was a very silly thing to do by laughing through the conversation, She obviously new that nothing would be done. A few days later we complained again and this time spoke to the manager. He explained that problem had been noted but he had no control over the maintenance staff and even though we stated that it was now beginning to smell he was not prepared to offer compensation,This time the female member of staff thought it even funnier. Quite clearly the manager did have control over the maintenance staff because a man turned up said he would have to fix the leak above first and was never seen again.
The only thing that stopped us rating this location even more adversely were what appeared to be Nepalese staff who kept the "lodge" towels and bed linen spotlessly clean.

Room Tip: I would not stay here again.Since all aspects were controled by the hotel can only assume the hotel...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mike38383838
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Good points: Comfortable bed. Decent shower. Freeview. Bar and food prices fair. Lovely setting.

However: rooms extremely hot (wasn't a particularly hot day). Air con not effective and only went as low as 16 degrees. Generator or something in room below us which kept us awake. No fan in bathroom so very hot. My grandma asked for a disabled access room, she was given a bath with a shower over it. "24 hour room service", except no one was there to answer the phone when we tried to get more milk for my cousin's baby. We arrived back from a party at around 12:30am, to find all the doors locked. Again, no one around to answer the buzzer to get in (later found out there is one member of staff to run the room service and reception?!). No sign to inform us of this on the door. No prior warning that this would happen. Staff efficient, but didn't smile once between them. We had two guests for breakfast who weren't staying at the hotel, who had to pay £12.50 a head for a buffet breakfast. Swimming pool was closed.

We were dissapointed with our experience of what could and should have been a lovely hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank emma b
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Book early to avoid disappointment, by which I mean I should have booked earlier to ensure I got into my regular hotel near Bracknell. I didn't so here I am. I probably could have got somewhere closer but I felt strangely lured to booking this hotel. Apparently this hotel's rooms have all been fully renovated, I don't know when this was but either it was a while ago or the renovation wasn't done to a very good standard. My window doesn't appear to be very well fitted/sealed and there is a distinct draft in the room. However check in was friendly and efficient even if they cannot spell my surname (ah well). The food in the restaurant is either a la carte or a buffet selection. I only found this out after getting fed up waiting for someone to offer me a menu, asking if I wanted a drink and as a last resort asking the gentleman sat next to me what he did to get his food. I managed to hail a passing waiter and got my drink after a while. The food I helped myself to and it wasn't half bad for the price I suppose. On the upside the complimentary WiFi is a very usable 4 - 5 Mbps. Would I recommend this hotel? Personally no.

2  Thank Veteran75
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I stayed at this hotel in May 2014 for the champion of champions darts event. From the moment we checked in, we had a great time. The reception was swift and professional and helpful. Our twin room overlooked the lake and was spotless and had all the usual stuff, tea and coffee etc. They even did room service! was lovely by the way! The bar area was nice and reasonably priced. The breakfast buffet was delicious. A great hotel and I will definitely be revisiting.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the lake - beautiful
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 May 2014

The hotel was a fair standard with average facilities. The decor is dated but it is clean enough. What lets it down largely is the service - delay at check in as the receptionist was on the phone, there was only one set of towels in the bathroom off double occupancy, the food left a little to be desired and the service by the waiting staff was very poor. The Buffet breakfast wasn't great either and the steam room wasn't working in the leisure facility.

This was disappointing for the £96 we paid for bed and breakfast which was well overpriced. Wouldn't bother staying here due to poor value for money and not even asked how our stay was.

1  Thank Svl87blade
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Where do I start...... After a 3 hour drive I checked into the hotel, when the receptionist had finished her phone call. Despite the fact that my booking clearly specified 'pay on departure' I was forced to hand my card up front, I must not have a trustworthy face. I ordered room service a fairly simple order of one chargrilled vegetable pizza and a large lemonade. This may possibly be the WORST meal I have ever eaten in a hotel. The pizza was burned on the bottom and cold on the top with a slimy vegetable topping. The lemonade glass was covered in bright pink lipstick which wasn't mine and after trecking half way across the hotel to get it changed, although the barman was incredibly apologetic, I got a glass of soda water - lemonade syrup not changed either. Couldn't be bothered complaining so went to bed hungry. Shower dribbles on you and the bathroom is tiny. Some people say you get what you pay for but at almost £100 a night, I didn't. Only nice thing I could say about this hotel is that I got to look at my car all night from my balcony.... next to a lake, view of the car park.

1  Thank KayEllJay
Holiday Inn Farnborough
#6 of 7 in Farnborough
The Hog's Back Hotel & Spa Farnham
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Woking

Been to Lakeside International Hotel? Share your experiences!