“Absolute Rip Off”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Frimley Green
London, UK
“Absolute Rip Off”
Reviewed 11 January 2009

We booked the Lakeside International as our base for attending the Lakeside Darts Tournament During Jan 2009.

We booked over the phone and were told that we would be in one of the new refurbished rooms overlooking the picturesque lake.

We arrived, entered the hideously decorated lobby (pictures of concorde, twin towers and all sorts of different bygone smoke stained pictures) and collected our key attached to a half kilo paperwieght key ring.

On arriving in our room we were greeted by the aroma of an something resembling an old ash tray. We immedietly opened the balcony door to air the place only to be greeted by a 2 pint carton of out of date Milk.

We decided to check out the bathroom and were horrified to discover an angry looking half baked stool resting at the bottom of the pan. We flushed straight away, looked around and admired the mould on the bathroom walls - This wasn't looking good.

I switched on the TV! Great only 4 channels but I was stuggling to hear them over the noise coming from the unbled radiator. It made such a racket that we struggled to sleep at night.

My girlfriend washed her hair and asked me to pass the Hairdryer. We spent 5 minutes looking for it and then decided to ring down to the front desk to ask where the advertised hairdryer had vanished to. They insisted that it was in the room and that if we couldn't find it there was nothing they could do.

At this point I decided to go downstairs and address my concerns about the Hotel with the management. I explained that I was less than sattisfied with the room and the service we'd had so far and she couldn't even be bothered to lift her butt off the chair to talk to me. She simply said if you are unhappy put it in writing to the management. When I explained that I'd rather show the manager the issues I had, she simply shrugged her shoulders and said they only accept complaints in writing.

I went back uipstairs shocked at the service and decided to Iron my trousers for the evening. The Ironing board was literally falling apart. The Ironing board cover was ripped and hanging off and was also host to an interesting collection of brown stains.

To summarise, It's unbelievable that Lakeside can charge £140 per night for this excuse of a Hotel. The place is filthy, outdated and worn. The staff are unhelpful, unhappy and obviously sick to the back teeth of people complaining.

All this place needs is some TLC and an owner that really cares about the facilities and customers. Instead all you have is sad sorry place that hasn't been cared about since the late 70's.

You'd be BP'd off if you'd paid £40 per night.....

Avoid...!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank LondonSnowBunny
LakesidePR, Public Relations Manager at Lakeside International Hotel, responded to this review, 13 April 2009
We apologise for the experience by LondonSnowBunny and his partner and we have written directly to him on this matter.

The Lakeside International Hotel was opened in 1988. In November 2008, work started to refurbish all rooms. This will be done one wing at a time.

The wing in which LondonSnowBunny stayed was undergoing refurbishment and the hair dryers had not been replaced. It was an oversight on our part. Once this was drawn to the attention of the front desk staff, housekeeping was immediately notified and within an hour, all the rooms were refitted with hair-dryers.

The other matters raised were in his review were not reported previously to the hotel, so we were unaware until reading this post. If the room was found in such a condition, we can only apologise and say it is not in keeping with the usual standards of housekeeping. The matter has been raised with the Housekeeping Manager. The reported behaviour of the Front Desk staff has also been raised with the Reservations Manager.

We adhere to the laws of England which prohibit smoking anywhere on the premises. Our rooms, in keeping with Health and Safety regulations, are fitted with smoke detectors. We are at a lost about how a renovated room can smell of smoke or how we can have smoke-stained pictures in the lobby.

During the 2009 Lakeside World Professional Darts Championships, the Lakeside International Hotel and its two sister hotels were booked to capacity. There were special packages (tickets plus rooms) for people attending the championships which did not attract the usual rack rate of £140.

As to the decoration of the lobby, this is a matter of personal taste and we respect diversity of views and opinions.

We have had outstanding comments and are proud of our hand painted ceiling in the lobby documenting, in art, various landmarks around the world. We also have historic photos of the British Airways Concorde and the Twin Towers which are collector's items today.

We truly regret the experience which LondonSnowBunny reported and invite he and his partner to visit us again and allow us the opportunity to display true Lakeside hospitality at a special rate of £55 on the weekend or £80 during the week (single occupancy).

We understand the frustration which would have resulted in him giving us only 3 out of 5 for location, however, when one considers that the darts venue was next door, there is not another location on the planet that is better than this one.

The reburbishment of our rooms are nearing completion and much has been changed and enhanced.

Our CEO Bob Potter has commented: "We listened to and read what our clients have said about the quality of our rooms and we have invested substantial sums of money into the refurbishment."

We would welcome LondonSnowBunny back for a weekend at Lakeside.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Ramsbottom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2008

Where do you start, old, old, old, says it all really, which is a shame because with a little renovation it could be a fantastic hotel. So what was wrong, it all started when I had to use a real key to open the room door, when was the last time I had to do that? Well I can't remember! The wardrobe doors worked if you had the strength and could stand the scraping noise, the water from the taps was brown, there was no plug, the remote control for the television was missing and it was impossible to turn off the shower (I called reception and someone came down), the room smelt musty.
Now the restaurant, I ordered steak, and to say it arrived quickly would be an understatement, I have spent longer in the queue at Mc Donalds in the Trafford Centre, the chips were soggy, quite difficult to do when they are served in a separate bowl, and I wish I had peas that hard when I was younger, they would have been classed as offensive weapons, the steak needed the steak knife provided, in fact I could have done with something to sharpen my teeth to make eating it a bit easier.

Now credit where credit is due, the staff, I have no complaints about them at all, they were very good, a credit to a very poor hotel.

But not enough to convinve me to stay there again!

• Stayed May 2008, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Frimley Green hotels

Southern England
Reviewed 18 May 2008

Wow! were to start
On arrival the hotel seems very dated and in need of renovation like stepping back in time
Gold Clocks of the times around the world at reception should have been a giveaway really
The room, the best they had was in real need of modernisation, wardrobe doors off, dirty brown running water from the hot tap for the first 5 mins, a shower that would not turn off easily /dirty shower head/taps to mention a few
The night staff informed us that the water should not be drunk so as there was no mini-bar and with no mineral water supplied how do you manage? a kettle and 2 cups for tea seems poor, thank goodness we brought some mineral water with us!
Breakfast with only a handful of guests present, as discussed before, was just ok, tinned fruit etc, with blocked toilets downstairs just the job?
A beautiful waterside deck for dining seems well under-used
why not get a top chef in using local ingredients and get the place buzzing?
Having stayed in lots of hotels in Europe i cannot help but feel that in the early 1980`s this hotel with its amazingly beautiful lakeside was a top attraction and pretty hip at the time but somehow has been left for twenty years in a timewarp
i was informed that renovation work is due to begin in May of the rooms so hopefully many of the problems can be solved as this place could be really wow with investment

• Liked — Mirrors throughout the room made if feel more spacious
  • Disliked — poor and old fixtures/fittings/no mini-bar
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
Cambridge, UK
Reviewed 10 May 2008

It's never a good start when the illuminated sign outside has more than 50% blown bulbs.

Decor - Firmly in the 1950's. Very outdated. Walking in to the lobby is like walking on to the set of Foyle's War or a post-WWII movie! While generally tidy, there are large holes in the walls around the hotel where they have tried to install WiFi routers and failed.

Sundays/Bank Holidays - I arrived on a Bank Holiday and was told restaurant / gym opening times. I tried the gym, it was shut. I tried the restaurant, it was shut. Apparently, people don't eat on Bank Holidays. I had paid for dinner in my booking but because the restaurant was shut I had to pay for a bar meal on top!

Staff - Not a UK national in sight. Portuguese bar staff couldn't speak English at all. They were not all 'rude' but were neither friendly. They were unable to answer questions with regards my bill and I had to take more than one chance with the company credit card because the staff were 'unsure' about whether or not I had to pay for things, despite my booking being 'Bed, Breakfast and Dinner'.

Room - Room was clean but there was mold around the bath, no hot water unless you ran the tap for an age, and the TV only has the standard four channels. In fact, the remote control was chained to a heavy lump of metal so it couldn't be stolen!

Food - pleasant enough overall although I was charged a whopping £1.60 for a single, small, glass of milk! Breakfast was very plain overall, with tinned orange/grapefruit and no fresh fruit at all. The croissants were quite dry. I didn't see the cooked option and ended up with simply cereal.

Gym - staff were a mixed bag. One was helpful while the other, when questioned about whether or not the bar would sell milk, simply replied, "no idea" before sulking back to the computer screen. The gym, itself, is well equipped and the small pool is fine for a quick dunk.

WiFi - the most expensive internet package I have ever seen in my whole life.

This is all a crying shame because the hotel is situated in a very beautiful area and has so much potential. It wouldn't take too much work to update this hotel but it would seem that those working there really don't care enough about it.

• Liked — It had a gym.
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
Herefordshire
Reviewed 1 May 2008

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in and I have stayed in a fair few!
My colleague had a nice welcome to her room - a huge turd in the toilet!
There was no hot water over the three days of staying there.
Another colleague couldn't turn her shower off.
Another colleague ordered a "well done steak" and got the most cremated piece of meat you ever did see!
The beds were uncomfortable.
The staff were rude, unhelpfulThe food choice was limited and extremely expensive, 7 cups of coffee came to £20.
Another resident ordered a ham omlette and got given a steak omlette and was told that they didin't have any ham!
I would rather slit my wrists than stay here again!!!!!!

Stayed April 2008
2 Thank boost47
new forest, uk
Reviewed 2 September 2007

We were invited to a wedding reception at this Hotel so decided to stay the night instead of making the 1 1/2 hour journey home.
I should've known we were in for trouble from the start. I'd tried to email my booking at my 'special' wedding group rate of £77 for a double room only to discover it was only £70 on the Hotel website. When I queried this I was told the internet was wrong and they were changing it (as of today the website remains unchanged).
Also, their internet wasn't working so my emailed booking was followed up by my fax booking followed up by my telephone booking and I finally ended up with my room confirmed.
Early check-in was available from 10am (usual check-in 2pm) for an extra £30. I was asked to pay up front on arrival - probably because they knew as soon as we saw our room, we'd have something to say about it.
Clearly no decorating has been done in this place since the 80's and it really looks tired. Our room had a constant temperature of 30 degrees as it was over the kitchen. The only velux window did reveal lovely views of the Lake but also kitchen smells, plates being broken & staff going about their business. We didn't even switch the tv on so can't comment on channels.
The room was tidy & clean (not spotless) but the springs in the bed dug into my ribs during the night. The bathroom was exhausted & falling apart. We asked for another room but the only one available was worse. It was on the lower ground floor and had what appeared to be loo roll and sewage on the ground outside the window.
Breakfast was interesting. The juice jugs were empty, no milk for cereal, only 'fresh' (tinned) fruit was grapefruit, full english not bad but plates & cutlery greasy. And we had to track down a waitress to ask for a cup of tea.
Staff were pleasant enough but were all foreign (just like those call centres), we nicknamed the only english worker Helga because she was so scary - we never saw anybody smile but they did try to be helpful.
This Hotel needs bringing into the 21st century by way of decor and how its run. I'd say its overpriced for what you're getting, its turned itself into a cheap £40 a night B&B which is such a shame as it has the potential (and probably once was) to be something much better.
So come on Lakeside International Hotel, surely its time to pull your socks up.

• Liked — I didn't have to drive home after the wedding reception.
  • Disliked — Everything.
  • Stayed September 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 11 January 2007

Let me just start this review by saying that I am someone who travels quite a bit for my work and have stayed at hotels all around the world (last year alone I was in Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia, Taiwan, England and all over the states).

If I had not been put here by the company I work for there is no way I would have picked this place myself. The hotel is old and looks like it has not been updated since it's inception. You know you're in trouble when someone hands you the room key and it's an actual key with a two pound piece of metal attached to it (the metal actually serves a purpose - you need to insert it in a slot in your room or your heat and electricity will not work.) I found out I was in a room with two twin beds which I know is common in England, but these are probably the most uncomfortable beds I've ever stayed in. They were narrow, felt like cardboard and moved when I moved.

The rooms were supposed to have SKY Satellite TV, but for some unexplained reason, it wasn't working so I received a total of 4 channels. My remote control also had tape holding the batteries in and only worked when pushed said batteries. For some crazy reason the remote was chained to the wall making it impossible to use it unless I was lying in bed (I guess they were worried people would steal them as souveneirs.)

I was lucky in that I had hot water in my shower (which was covered with mold, by the way), but some others I was traveling with were not so lucky. The heater seemed to have a mind of it's own, sometimes choosing to work, other times not. When I tried to put some clothes in the closet one of the doors fell off. There was also some kind of mystery stain on my dresser. The furniture was shabby and outdated and consisted of a dresser and a very uncomfortable chair. I did have a balcony (overlooking the parking lot), but this too was covered with mold and other unidentifiable substances.

The staff was, for the most part rude, although there was one woman who was very friendly and helpful. There was another man on the staff, who seemed to be French, that was very rude and didn't seem to care about helping me at all. One day while I was there a wedding was going on and I tried to get served some lunch in the restaurant to no avail. They informed me later that they usually don't serve food if there's a wedding going on.

The only positive things I can say about this place are that they did have (expensive) wireless internet access and it is on a lake, but that's really reaching.

If you're planning a trip to this area of England, do yourelf a favor and stay somewhere else!

• Liked — Nothing!
  • Disliked — Everything!
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away!
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled on business
#6 of 7 in Farnborough
Village Hotel Farnborough
Village Hotel Farnborough
#4 of 7 in Farnborough

Been to Lakeside International Hotel? Share your experiences!