“Anniversary”

Hazlewood Castle & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hazlewood
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Myself and my husband stayed here on Sunday 17th November. We arrived at 11am due to traffic being light and we're booked on the history tour at 12 noon. We arrived to be greeted by a wedding party all trying to check out at once so thought we'd have a wander around the grounds. As we walked back through the hall, we were met by Steve the concierge (and tour guide) who told us our room was I fact ready! We'd also been upgraded to a master suite because it was our special occasion!
We went up, got settled and went on the tour (highly recommend).
Later in the afternoon we had drinks on the terrace and champagne in the library.
Dinner that evening was fantastic, service impeccable and the restaurant light and airy.
The breakfast in our room next morning was huge and delicious!
Although checkout was at 11, we didn't feel rushed in any way.
All in all, this hotel is amazing, the staff friendly and welcoming, nothing was too much trouble and we will certainly be going back.
Thankyou again to Steve, Kim, Jonny and Sag for making our first anniversary so special!!

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank Littlehen78
GM-Hazlewood, General Manager at Hazlewood Castle & Spa, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Thank you for your lovely comments we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and Steve was on hand to fill in all the history for you.

Clearly you had the weather on your side to enjoy drinks on the terrace in November!

We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 14 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our joint birthday this month. The hotel is a stunning building in beautiful grounds. Unfortunately the weather was awful whilst we were there so we didn't get the opportunity to explore much, but in better weather this is definitely something we would have taken the time to do.

The rooms are basic, we were in the new part of the hotel and the rooms are quite modern. The first room we were given only had a shower in the bathroom and I like a bath whilst staying away, so the hotel were more than happy to move us.

The restaurant is lovely, quite small, but intimate. The food is fantastic and the service great. Breakfast was also lovely.

We stayed here whilst visiting York, and the hotel was probably about half an hour away, so probably a little further than we expected, but this wasn't a problem as we had the car.

York is a great place to visit whilst staying at the hotel, so is the Designer Outlet nearby for shopping - all great!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
GM-Hazlewood, General Manager at Hazlewood Castle & Spa, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Hazlewood and the surrounding area. We do hope that you will get the opportunity to return in better weather to take advantage of the lovely scenery, walks and outside areas.

See you again soon.

Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

My friend booked 6 of us to hazel wood castle on the 'the ultimate girls night in package'. Now at £145 per person we were a little apprehensive, but it was her 40th so we booked.
The £145 was well worth it, in fact we felt like it was cheap for what we got.
We were met by a very lovely guy who took us to our rooms, told us about the castle and showed us where everything was. Now the rooms were a little dated and could if done with some upgrading but it's was nothing to dent the experience. We had our spa treatments and wandered the castle and the gorgeous grounds then sat in the gardens with our wine enjoying the sun. We went for the evening meal and my goodness it was amazing!! The girls couldn't stop raving over the meal. After that we went back to our 'movie' room to watch a film in our fluffy robes with a box of chocolates. In the morning we had a great breakfast, just wish we could if stayed longer. Going to book again for next summer.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

We are absolutely delighted that you enjoyed your pampering session and I am sure you will love even more the new spa that opens at the end of the month, so please do return as it can only get better.

I have passed your comments on to the team and they are over the moon.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Everything to do with the wedding on the Saturday was top-notch. Breakfast the next day however was shambolic! The Vasavour restaurant was too small to accommodate our party and we ended up being seated in relays. I waited 40 minutes for boiled eggs and toast. When the eggs arrived they were virtually raw and were returned to the kitchen! After a further 15-minute wait I gave up and cancelled my order. The toast never arrived! I fear it is a case of the owners being greedy ie have sacrificed the original restaurant for bedrooms and have failed to put adequate infrastructure in place to support the increased occupancy!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank WKC1702

Thank you for your lovely comments about the wedding that you attended recently. I am sorry that the standard of service were not the same for breakfast and I have already spoken to all the team involved so that we do not have a repeat of these issues again.

Although we do have a smaller restaurant than previously, we do provide a service that allows us to cater for everyone and I am not sure as to what happened on this morning for this not to happen.

Thank you for your comments and I do hope that we have the opportunity of seeing you again.

Reviewed 27 October 2013

as a frequent visitor to Hazlewood Castle booked a meal in the Vavasour restaurant to celebrate a friends birthday. As usual the food was excellent and the service felt very personal with attentive staff. there was a wedding on the same evening but this didn't intrude on our evening in any way. We had a walk around the grounds which are immaculately kept and full of colour even at this time of the year, and beautifully manicured lawns.
As a footnote, as a regular contributor to Trip advisor, I do read other peoples reviews, and have so far never commented on someone else's opinion, but having read JenniferElizabeth14's attack on one of the castles wedding coordinators Kelly, I have felt compelled to leap to her defence. Kelly was the wedding coordinator for my sons wedding in July, and leading up to the big day, I, along with the bride and groom, met with Kelly on a number of occasions, and we all found her to be the complete professional and extremely informative and pleasant, and answered any queries we had instantly. So I urge anyone reading JE14's review, to also read other reviews praising Kelly and the rest of the staff before dismissing the castle as an ideal venue for a break, meal or wedding.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
GM-Hazlewood, General Manager at Hazlewood Castle & Spa, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2013

Thank you once again for making lovely comments about the food, service, team and the grounds, which we are truly grateful.

I will pass on the specific comments to Kelly which I am sure will make her feel better.

Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 26 October 2013

Myself and my new wife got married at Hazlewood Castle on the 18th October 2013.
After visiting the castle we felt really at home there, and loved the building, and decided that it was the place for us. The help from the Wedding Planner Melissa was very professional all the way up to the wedding, and we found her very accomodating for our little preferences, etc. On the day we had Amy help us, who was a star all day (and the night before actually!) helping us with the wedding. All our guests had the best time, and they all loved the venue. Service was superb, the surroundings are fantastic and the castle itself is a very beautiful place for a wedding. Oh - and the food was great too. Thank you to all the team there, we shall be visiting again soon for a short stay!!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gburns1

Congratulations to the both of you!

We are delighted that you enjoyed your wedding here. I have passed on your lovely comments to the team who will be chuffed. The team here really enjoy making a wedding day truly special.

We look forward to seeing you again in the very near future.

Reviewed 25 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed on a Saturday night at 4.30
Didn't expect them to be holding a cravs wedding
When we arrived the wedding guests were stood on the steps smoking so we had to enter through them not nice for non smokers
They were drunk and abusive to us
We have booked for a kid to stay but no bed for the child
The room hyacinth had a very dirty carpet and a very tiredstained bed and chairs and a portable size tv, stained walls yuck Nb we booked a superior - the female manager assured us this was superior the maid said it was a standard
On discussing this we were told next time you stay we will upgrade you
I felt insulted

The evening meal was very nice food but the restaurant didn't have a toilet so we had to use reception toilet outside in the rain then upstairs - wedding guests had messed up the toilets and the whole floor was covered in urine one guest was trying to clean it up
On telling the reception they did clean up - but not nice whilst eating out
The wedding guests were singing and shouting and partying in the corridors of the court yard rooms all night
We got no sleep at all
The wedding guests were at breakfast in pj -again you had to enter through clouds of smoke as many smoked in the door way
The breakfast wasn't nice - hair on plate was the best part the female head waitress was shouting across the room commonly she seems VERY unsuitably matched as all the staff were very well spoken -
Cravs singing at in the restaurant at breakfast

I wish I'd stayed at home
Guess what they knocked £50 off my whole bill -
Terrible
I stayed here a few times years ago but standards have dropped and the rooms have been left to run down and are unclean with broken floor tiles, rips in the sofas and stained wallpapers
Shame as its a beautiful building

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Bubblegum1

Thank you for your comments. The team and I are disappointed that you did not enjoy your recent stay. We pride ourselves at offering attentive and friendly service and standards to all our guests and I am sorry that the wedding on the Saturday spoilt it for you. Unfortunately we are not a cheap wedding venue but sometimes do get guests who are definitely up for a party, which I can appreciate could spill over to other areas of the hotel. We normally have a good balance of wedding guests and leisure guests which stay in harmony as we have plenty of places to relax in the castle.

I spoke to you personally the following morning (Sunday) about your room which was a superior room with King Size bed, lounge seats in the room and space for your daughter to stay, I note that the bed was not put into your room until after you arrived and the reception team quickly rectified this for you. I am sorry that you did not like the décor in the room as this was only recently re-wallpapered, painted and new furniture but I appreciate your comments about the size of the TV which I inherited and is on the list for the coming months.

I am sorry you felt insulted about the offer of an upgrade, however I felt that after your comments made about loving the hotel and wanting to return and the discount that the receptionist had offered, that the way for us to restore your faith in Hazlewood was to experience the hotel at another time, without the particular wedding in tow.

Having only been at the hotel since the summer I am working through my list of improvements and have taken on board your comments as well.

I do hope that we have the opportunity of seeing you again and that you will like what you see.

Melissa Watson

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hazlewood
The Grand Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Follifoot
Days Inn Wetherby
Days Inn Wetherby
#2 of 3 in Wetherby

Been to Hazlewood Castle & Spa, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!