“Wedding Anniversary”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Hazlewood
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Wedding Anniversary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We spent 1 night at this amazing hotel for our 29th wedding anniversary. The hotel is beautiful and the setting and gardens are breathtaking. Our suite in the Castle was very traditional and in keeping with the hotel. It was large and very light and airy with a lovely comfy bed. The food was wonderful and I would highly recommend the restaurant. The staff were lovely and very knowledgeable about their workplace. We had a tour around the castle and shown many interesting features, even the gardener took the time to have a chat with us and point out things we hadn't noticed.
I can't recommend this hotel enough and hope to return in the not too distant future.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
GM-Hazlewood, General Manager at Hazlewood Castle & Spa, responded to this review, 9 September 2014
Well congratulations on your first anniversary!

We are delighted that you spent the time with us and enjoyed your visit.

The staff will be chuffed that you returned and hope to see see you again soon.

Melissa Watson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Eastbourne, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

We left Hazlewood Castle this morning, have had a 2 night stay to attend a wedding. The castle is a beautiful place to hold a wedding. We travelled 7 hours to attend and enjoyed the time we spent with our family.

However, we were very disappointed with our room. We were allocated a 'Master Suite' in the building outside the actual castle. We have been lucky enough to stay in many luxury hotels and paid a similar price (£400) yet I said to my husband upon leaving earlier that we should have stayed in a Premier Inn and travelled to the venue.

So, where to start?
The room was tatty. Wall paper peeling and mould in the grouting in the shower.
The pull out sofa bed was awful. We have two teenagers who were sharing. The minute they laid down they rolled into the middle. My husband used chair cushions underneath to make it firmer.
We had 2 bath towels and 2 hand towels for a room that they clearly knew slept 4 (with 2 girls with long hair!) that weren't changed, so after the first the remaining showers meant that we used wet towels.
There was no bulb in one of the bedside lamps and the other lamp seemed to break overnight.
The iron was broken (replaced by reception)
There were no flannels to wash with (luckily I had one with me) and the free toiletries were not of good quality.

We visited other rooms as the venue was booked for the wedding guests only and found that our relatives within the castle had nice rooms and modern bathrooms and also that there was what looked like a new build extension where the bride and groom's room was.

It may be that only the rooms in the outbuilding need refurbishment. They are not up to the standards of the other rooms that I saw and are certainly not value for money.

We complained on check out and are being emailed the update on the improvements but not in time for us to enjoy.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Joanna36
GM-Hazlewood, General Manager at Hazlewood Castle & Spa, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Hazlewood. I am sorry that I didn't have the opportunity to speak to you on the morning of departure to discuss your comments as I personally like to speak to guests about feedback rather than speaking to them after the event.

Firstly I am delighted that you enjoyed the family wedding and the surroundings. We are truly lucky that we are in such a superb setting.

I wish to apologise for the disappointment with your room which was brought to my attention after you had left, your comments were immediately dealt with by the housekeeping and maintenance team to resolve. Such silly errors marred your stay and I am sorry that we did not pick up on your disappointment prior to your departure.

All our rooms are very different in style and decor and we do have a number of more modern rooms, although these are on the smaller size. The suite you were in was redecorated last summer and I have already instructed the maintenance team to re-decorate and investigate the points raised.

We should of put in sufficient towels for the whole family and should of picked up that your towels were wet to replace. Our reception team are only too happy to help with requests and concerns and would of immediately resolved many of your points, including towels, the mattress and replacing light bulbs.

I am sorry that you did not like the Gilchrest and Soames toiletries as after lots or samples these were the outstanding favourite for smell and quality.

I hope that we do have the opportunity to delight you in the future as I can assure you that we are here to ensure that all our guests get an excellent visit from start to finish.

Unfortunately
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

I married the man of my dreams on the 24.07.14 at Hazlewood castle. We had the legal wedding in the castle and a blessing in the chapel with farther Ian. Farther Ian is one of the most amazing men I have ever met! He made the service beautiful, funny, individual and we can not simply thank him enough. Planning the wedding with Kelly was smooth, simple and easy! Kelly (our wedding co-ordinator) did a fantastic job and there was nothing she could of done better. Always on the End of the phone, always willing to help and even popped out to see us on the day!
The weather was 29 degrees and all 70 guests were able to enjoy the grounds and beautiful surroundings! Ice-cream van went down a treat also!
All staff were extremely helpful, food was amazing and they made the entire day simply amazing! We went with the very reasonable Thursday wedding package and we can not recommend Hazlewood castle and Kelly enough! To any brides and grooms to be reading this then do not hesitate to book hazlewood for your wedding venue :-) we simply had the best day and its all thanks to Hazlewood.
Thanks again guys x

Mr & Mrs Robinson

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank VLRobinson
Thank you for your lovely comments, we are delighted that your day went without a hitch and that you had the sunshine for youre guests to enjoy the Ice Cream Van!

All the team involved with your big day are chuffed by your comments and truly enjoy the jobs that they do, they really do go that extra mile to make your day the best you can dream of.

We hope that you will not be strangers to the team now you are all friends and remember your anniversary meal!

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my husband return for our anniversary and it was another 5* stay for us.

We were welcomed by lovely friendly staff. On this stay we chose the old tom room. It is one of the new rooms and it was lovely, looking out onto the grounds. A lovely touch was a card wishing us a happy anniversary and box of chocolates from the staff. These little touches make you feel very special.

Before tea we walked around the amazing grounds, the gardener Chris does an amazing job at keeping them so beautiful. And we also bumped into our wedding planner Kelly who is always so friendly, chatty and welcoming.

We ate in the restaurant, and received a complimentary glass of champagne on arrival. The food is so tasty and beautifully cooked, if you get the chance I would recommend ordering the duck egg to start, it was the second time I had it and it was just as good as the first time. The service you receive is outstanding. Breakfast was just as good. Lots to choose from. We will definitely be going back!

Stayed July 2014
We are delighted that your anniversary visit was 5*, the staff are truly chuffed that you had a great time and hope that you will visit again very soon.

I will be passing all the comments on to the team that were involved and again thank you for the lovely comments about our gardens, they do take pride of place here.

Rotherham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

......if you are wheelchair bound, don't bother. We attended at a wedding, one of our party being disabled and wheelchair bound. The access to the chapel was via a steep step, with no ramp provided. Therefore the wheelchair had to be lifted into and again out of the chapel.
Once out of the chapel, there was no direction for disabled guests on how to gain access to the hotel, as all ways in appeared to be via several steps.
Several members of staff watched as I pushed the wheelchair and offered no assistance as to how I should get the wheelchair into the premises. I had to leave my father unattended whilst I went up several steps into the reception area to ask for directions.
The ONLY lift is outside the premises, which wasn't ideal as it was raining. Staff have to physically unlock the lift before access is gained, therefore, someone has to go to reception to advise staff that the lift is required.
Once in the lift I accessed the annexe area, had to push the wheelchair up a slight inclined gradient and through a very narrow doorway, which just allows access to a wheelchair (a motor scooter is a definite no go). Then through the library towards reception and then eventually into the main hall for the wedding.
When I asked about disabled toilet facilities, I discovered that I had to push the wheelchair through the library, through the narrow doorway, into the annexe. Then after someone from reception has brought the key, I went outside in the rain, used the lift, shown to a steep paved slope to a doorway. The slope was covered with moss in the shaded area so trying to stop the wheelchair from rolling away whilst having no grip underfoot was disturbing. At the bottom of the slope was a doorstep! So the wheelchair had to be tilted over the ledge.
The toilet itself as very clean, but afterwards the wheelchair had to be pushed up the slope, and again through the same fiasco of lift, annexe, narrow doorway, library.
I as told by staff that there was no other disabled facilities within the hotel, the reason given, it's a listed building. Rubbish!
The Disability Act doesn't make any exceptions to listed premises, the hotel has fulfilled its requirements just. Would I recommend it, definitely not!
Overall, as previous people have reported, the hotel is shabby, and needs rejuvenating. The food was okay, but nothing to write home about. The wedding was very nice, but that was down to the guests not the hotel.
You can get a lot better, my advice, look elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Paul R
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Just been to a wedding at the castle last night the castle is lovely outside but dated old and run down inside drinks are very expensive. When we had our meal main course was pork / potatoes/ one carrot and a yourkshire pudding we ask for some gravy and were told they had run out it was like eating dry cardboard you would think they would give you a jug of gravy each considering the price of £150 a head for a very poor three course meal next thing that happend is the table center piece had four candles on it about two feet above the table as soon as the candles were lit they melted over the edge onto the table one went all over the arm of my suit I asked the wedding planner/idiot what she could do about this she said nothing at all could be done I'd bought the suit they day before for £300 the hotel obviously has no insurance in place for these type of accidents she was abrupt and rude we won't go back again. One the upside they happy couple are lovely and also all they guests met some very nice people.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Alfie12345
Thank you for your comments.

I am sorry your experience of Hazlewood Castle did not match those of the friends and family of the wedding you attended.

We pride ourselves at giving excellent service and standards to all our guests and I am sorry that the wedding co-ordinator/manager on the day did not appease you with her assistance regarding the unfortunate accident with the candle wax or offer you the compensation that you demanded on the day. The table decorations, decor, flowers etc are not provided by the hotel and accidents can happen, we strive where ever possible to assist to ensure these do not happen and I would welcome you to get in touch so we can organise your jacket to be dry cleaned.

Best regards

Walsall, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

We stayed with our family, we had two rooms overlooking the courtyard and ourselves stayed in the castle. My daughters room a little disappointing as it was quiet small and needed an extra bed in it for our grandson, however besides that we had a lovely time. Staff friendly and the food was very good. We had a picnic in the grounds (which they didn't mind about). Weather was very good and made all the difference and since there were plenty of tables and chairs around about the castle we had plenty of time for exploring and drinking.

Room Tip: Rooms in the castle best