Kirkstile Inn
The Trout Hotel(Cockermouth)
US$220
US$125
Orbitz.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsloweswater goldcrummock waterown brewerybeer gardenthe publake districtsteak and ale piewinter offerwinter deallamb shoulderreal alepremium roomtraditional lakelanddrying roomwalking weekendopen firegreat beer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 November 2013

The good things - friendly staff, good menu choice, beautiful location and views, nice ambience in the dining room, open fire in the bar, walks from the door. Things that could be better - the drying room (which we needed) was tiny - no more than an airing cupboard with a few hangers above the vacuum cleaners and ironing board. Our twin room was tiny and in need of updating, the residents' lounge was a bit small and soulless and we had a couple of issues with food not being hot enough. There was, surprisingly, occasionally a whiff of drains in the area of the fire in the bar. Oh, and real coffee would be nice - they don't always have the machine on. Overall we found it a bit overpriced for what we got - you are obviously paying for the location.

2  Thank AnneLang
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed at the Kirkstile Inn for one night on part of a tour of the UK. Had a bit of trouble finding it without Sat Nav and just using Google directions but we go there. The location is stunning. Our (twin) room was small, very basic and a bit dated but perfectly serviceable - apart from the shower, whose pressure was non-existent. I gave up and ran a nice hot bath instead and had no complaints with that. We had dinner in the bar and the food was excellent. The service from the barman was also very good and he was really friendly and helpful in every way (even helping me sort a problem on my new phone). Other staff we met were polite, rather than friendly, but I guess you can't complain about that. Breakfast was good and eaten by the window overlooking the amazing views. There is plenty of parking outside and Wi-Fi was available in some public areas. Having stayed in lots of B&Bs on the trip, I couldn't really fault much with the Kirkstile Inn, but it was not high on my list of favourites.

Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank La-Mermaid
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Firstly do not use the map app on your phone that includes "unknown rd" in the directions, The reason it is unknown is because I'm sure your not supposed to take your average astra down it. We turned round when we came to a right turn onto a grass grown track.

However when we did finally get to the Inn it was lovely and welcoming real fire going and very busy (presume others knew how to find it without trouble lol). You order both food and drinks at the bar and although busy this did not take too long.

The menu is small but the food was lovely, we had garlic bread with cheese to start as we were told there was a 25 minute wait for the main course. The food was lovely I had the shepherds pie and my partner had the steak and ale pie, both of which would recommend.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

I stayed two nights here with my wife. The beer is fantastic, and the food is really exceptional, great flavours, local ingredients, imaginative combinations, and very reasonably priced. It has a beautiful dining room and friendly staff. Our room was very traditional, with nice original furniture but possibly a bit over-valued, rate wise. But the excellent value of the delicious food makes up for it, and you have a perfect location from which to explore some beautiful lakes and hills.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Melbreak
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I went to stay for one night at the Kirkstile in Loweswater with my boyfriend as we spent a few days travelling round the lakes. As a pub it is perfect, the beer is good, the food is delicious and the wine was really good, but when I got into the room my face just fell. The room we had (I think it was room 1) was just really dated and looked really drab, and the bathroom wasn't ideal.

I would stay again if the rooms were updated because it's just in the most perfect location. If you're looking for somewhere really special to stay though, I really wouldn't advise on staying here.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple