“Red Rock...hard rock!”
Review of Red Rock Inn

Red Rock Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Red Rock
Red Rock Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Red Rock B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 October 2011

This place is terrible. Website looked good...hotel on arrival bad. Restaurant very bad. Service was terrible. My wife and I (2 seniors) dragged our bags up a rotting front stairway while the manager and her chef husband just looked at us. Room had a gas fireplace with a strong leaking gas smell...slept all nite with window open to avoid being gassed (late Oct./ 11). We were the only two people in the hotel that nite...coffee set out in AM with most of the creamers sour. If there had been a fire, we would have been the last to know. Avoid this place like the plague...probably will not be a problem because with the lack of maintenance, etc, I cannot believe this place will open next spring....will probably be condemned. All said the hotel had a glorious location overlooking a lovely bay. what a shame a grand old place like this has fallen so low.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank maxim3

Reviewed 2 July 2011

We pulled into this town at 930 at night to try and find somewhere to sleep. There was no one in sight. No one out for a walk...sitting on their porch...we pulled into the hotel only to realize...no one was there either...it was an eerie town straight out of a steven king novel. I would not recommend visiting this town or staying at the hotel...didn't see the inside but if it was similiar to the outside...very rough shape. We all know how the novels end...I recommend to stay clear!

• Stayed: June 2011
6  Thank Albertaontario
Reviewed 7 January 2011

after working 14 hours we just wanted to eat, wash-up, and go to bed. Resturant was closed, was told to go across the street to arena to get hot dogs or if we were lucky pizza.We as a asphalt crew make our own lunches, but low and behold no fridges in the rooms to put our lunch fixings. No A/C opened the window to cool down room and all the little creepy crawlers from out side found there way into my room through the holey screen. The bath room was a disaster, retro fitted into the closet. Step up 9 inches into a closet where you have to go out side to change your mind. If it is your last resort to sleep for the night, you would be better off sleeping in your car

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 August 2010

We had reservations at this hotel, I was wary since I read a review from over a year ago. But, that was the last review from anywhere so I had hope that things had changed.

The website is fantastic, the hotel is just plain run down and should be shut down based solely on the creepy factor. We checked in, checked the room and asked for a refund and left. Just driving in the parking lot you can see broken out windows in the third story, paint peeling everywhere and a general dismal look about the place.

The stairwell going from the second to third floor has a wall bowed out, there are plaster patches (heavy patches) on the ceilings all over that I'll assume is water damage and not properly repaired plaster. The "sun" room, where you are supposed to have your continental breakfast is a screened in second story porch that has some seventies tables and table clothes with a mini fridge on a table to hold milk and juice.

The beds in the room had obviously seen their day and even a resale shop would have thrown them in the trash. The bedspread was torn as large as your hand and yet plain as day made up. The rooms, hallways and even the entry smelled musty and mildewy even though they were serving dinner.

It seemed that there were two or three people working for serving dinner but no one at the front desk. The woman who finally came to the desk was very curt and unfriendly. She was quite adept at the refund process and didn't bother to ask what the problem was or if another room might be more acceptable. I'm guessing the hotel has had it's brighter days and is fading quickly in to the sunset. It is really just a large house on a residential block with a view of the lake a few blocks down and nothing else but marina in front of it.

If you're filming a movie about ghosts or enjoy rundown B&B's this is the place for you, all others run for the hills! We did. Oh yes and the best part was the price was over a hundred dollars! Crazy.

I wish I would have taken a picture of the hotel now so I could have posted it!!!

• Stayed: August 2010
3  Thank mshethr
Reviewed 18 February 2009

We stayed here on a Thursday night, the first night of our Lake Superior Circle Tour route from Minneapolis to Toronto. The web site is deceiving to say the least. You have to go quite far off the highway to reach Red Rock, a town that seems abandoned and sad, as did the hotel. The location by the lake is magnificent and stark.

The woman at the front desk was friendly enough, but after that...the room was up a creaky set of stairs and down a long hallway. The place seemed musty, covered over with a fake flowery pot-pourri smell. The stairs to the 3rd floor were closed off and the wall by that stairway looked like it was coming down. We arrived late - after the restaurant closed, and we seemed to be the only guests in this huge building. All the help left at around 9:00 pm. There seemed to be no way to get assistance after that. It was an unseasonably cold night and we couldn't figure out the heat. The breakfast room was a makeshift sunporch with an oilclothed table, a fridge with some old muffins, a toaster, some bananas...I did not want to eat anything there. The room was very large and the bathroom remodeled, but the setup was awkward...the uncomfortable bed miles from the TV. I feel badly saying all this because I would have loved to support this small business. But the opportunity for charm and comfort has not been met here. I couldn't wait to get out of the place that reminded me of The Shining! Red Rock, Red Rock! We went on to have a lovely vacation. This stretch Superior shore is quite remote...you might be better off camping. We saw what sadly looked like a lot of dying towns and boarded up strip motels.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank RoadTripMonkey
Reviewed 16 November 2008

We were attracted mainly by the website of this hotel, as well as by its location ... we needed a decent place to stay between Sault Ste. Marie and Kenora. The owner was pleasant on the phone and we thought the rate was good ($125 for a queen plus a double plus a cot). However, we were greeted by (we think) the owner, leaning over the porch, smoking a cigarette, saying "do you have a booking? I hope you're not expecting supper because the restaurant just closed." He was pleasant enough, but the initial intro was not good! The young woman who checked us in was quite pleasant. The best thing about our room was the bathroom. Newly renovated and nicely appointed. However, the rest of the room was a disappointment. Plain white walls, no decoration, crappy beds (the kind that sag toward the middle), with dated, faded comforters. (The sheets were clean, though, and there was a TV.) It was like staying in a cheap B&B. We ran out of toilet paper and tried to get some in the morning, but there was no one around to help. The place seemed deserted except for guests. For checkout, we had been told the night before to just leave our keys on the front desk. Breakfast was included, but it was mainly cold cereal and some yogurt. There were muffins, tightly wrapped in cellophane, and (fortunately for me), I looked at the bottom of my muffin before I ate it, and it was covered in mould! Also, the hotel website advertised an outdoor pool and tennis courts. The current owner advised us that these actually belonged to the municipal centre next door and had been advertised on the website by the hotel's previous owner. To top it off, the pool was empty concrete and full of weeds. So unless the current owner does some serious updating to the hotel and its website, I would not recommend it. It just seemed like they had bought the place and were going solely on its pretty looks and weren't putting any effort into customer service or any upgrades (like decent beds).

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2  Thank kbpelton
Reviewed 12 September 2008

I was on a motorcycle trip around Lake Superior and stayed at the Red Rock Inn. I found the place online and was impressed with the pictures and charm of the place. It is not quite as nice as the pictures show it to be. However, it is a neat place with a nice view of the lake. The price was right as well.

The main reason my rating was only a 2 because the woman running the place was quite surly. The young woman behind the desk was much nicer but could not compensate for the other woman.

When checking I was assured the rooms had internet access. They then put me in a room at the far end of the inn that had no access. When I mentioned it to them I was told I could work in the lobby. I needed to work long hours and that was unacceptable. The reluctantly moved me closer to the lobby and was able to pick up a week signal. I could get my work done but it was not easy.

They do have a restaurant on premises. The food was exceptional, the price was fantastic.

I would stay there again and put up with the manager because of location, view and the dinner.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ajayhawkfan

Been to Red Rock Inn? Share your experiences!