“excellent”
Review of George Hotel

George Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Burry Port
George Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Burry Port B&B and Inns
Burry Port, Wales, United Kingdom
“excellent”
Reviewed 2 January 2013

I have recently been to The George which has new owners and had a meal there, it was excellent! It was one of the best steaks I have ever had, the steak was so succulent it melted in the mouth, my wife had the cajun salmon which was also excellent and the children's meals were a good sized portion, not like some places where you just get a few chips. The welcome was really good and there was a great atmosphere, the new owners Hefin and Louise went out of their way to make us and our children feel comfortable. I will definitely call here again, in fact I have booked to go there for lunch this Sunday as they offer a carvery which one of the other diners told me was also excellent.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Robert M

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I stayed in the peak season in August and couldn't find anywhere in the Mumbles/Gower for much less than £100, so I ened up in Burry Port. Burry Port is where rural west Wales gives way to industrial south Wales and reminded me of those industrial towns and ports in west Cumbria. I actually love places like this, but they are always disarmingly rough, such is Burry Port. It has a nice harbour and views of the Gower, indeed around the George (certainly in the summer) has an almost seaside feel to it.
I remember a few years ago buying some chips in Burry Port and thinking how friendly and thoroughly working class the locals were. I realise that saying the locals are friendly is really a euphamism for the place is a dump, but that would be harsh on Burry Port (although some might agree). Certainly the landlord gave me a lovely welcome and he and his wife were wonderful.
Even though I only paid £55 per night the accomodation was frankly poor, had I paid £30 I would have been raving over what a wonderful find the George is. The landlord told me that the owner won't pay for maintainance and it shows. The upshot is that he is giving up the George, to focus on a cottage he rents out opposite. My en suite bathroom was outside my room off a public corridor, it had towels and soap but nothing else.
I went down to the bar to find it only had keg beers so I popped to the pub opposite (the Portobello). It was wonderfully rough and friendly, with all the female customers being at least 18st. It served a tremedous local real ale for £2.40, for London readers I will repeat that £2.40!
Back to the George for food. I was expecting great things and was a little disappointed, although I suspect this was a product of chosing Swordfish recommended by another reviewer. Portions were large and there was certainly nothing wrong with it, except I think it was frozen. Certainly the cockles, mussels, cheese and lava bread were very nice.
I suspect that the breakfast is brilliant, but being Ramadan I didn't have any. I wish the landlord and landlady success in their new venture and recommend not booking a room at the George until some else has reviewed it under the new management. What of Burry Port? Well I cannot resist this sort of place and will certainly return, but I'm sure that its not everones cup of tea.

Room Tip: Try to ensure that your en suite is in your room
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank piphoshin
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2012

We have been here a few times now when visiting family who live nearby and have never been disappointed. The food is always freshly cooked to order and there is plenty of it.
The veggie lasagne is really nice, the mixed grill is enormous and the daily fresh fish specials have always been good, particularly the swordfish steak.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Abby1986
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Just returned here for fourth time. Bar area and separate dining room nice decor and service.
Good choice of starters, we had crab cakes and cockle and mussels in sauce topped with crispy melted cheese. Main course fresh cod grilled or with batter and monkfish goujons served with salad peas and new pots jacket or chips. Large portions. very good value
Will def being going again

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
#2 of 6 in Burry Port
The Coasting Pilot Hotel
The Coasting Pilot Hotel
#1 of 6 in Burry Port

Been to George Hotel? Share your experiences!