“" cant wait to return "”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Devonshire Arms

Devonshire Arms
Ranked #1 of 1 Cracoe B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“" cant wait to return "”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

stayed in room 5, it is lovely and cosy and the food tremendous, thank you chef. Nothing was to much trouble, the staff were excellent and we cant wait to return in the summer, would totally recommend this traditional pub, an excellent birthday surprise.

Room Tip: room 5 cosy and warm
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Deborah W
TobittD, Owner at Devonshire Arms, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Thank you for your kind review. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and that you were made to feel welcome. We look forward to seeing you again soon and please tell your friends about us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Darlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

my husband booked this pub for my birthday, was looking for a good old fashioned pub with a log fire, good atmosphere and good food.. and that's exactly what we got... Barbara was great, she totally looked after us, we stayed in room 1 for the first night, but when the kitchen got going you certainly knew about it, the smell of the kitchen wasn't the best but bearable, we asked to change rooms and David moved us straight away to room 4 which was much more comfortable, On Saturday we got a bus straight outside the pub into skipton which was a lovely day, The staff are so friendly, will do anything to please, Now for the food, 5 stars to the chef, lovely home cooked tasty food, presentation and taste was fantastic (thank You Chef). and for the breakfast again lovely. so all in all if you want to go somewhere to relax for the weekend or even for a night, with good food, atmosphere and relaxation, this is the place to be.

Room Tip: room 4 was comfortable
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
TobittD, Owner at Devonshire Arms, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review. I am so pleased you had a lovely stay and that the food exceeded your expectations. We would love to see you both again soon and please tell your friends about us.
Shipley, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

I booked this hotel in April 2013 for the Tour de France in July 2014 £170 for two nights.
We could not wait, we had arranged to meet family and friends at a rugby club a few miles down the road, who is having a Tour De France party.
In October 2013 I was called from the hotel to tell me that they did not know how much deposit I had paid, but whatever it was I have lost.They then went on to tell me that they cannot possibly do it at those prices, but as a gesture of good will they would do it at £185 per night £370 for two nights NEARLY DOUBLE THE PRICE !!
I got in touch with the provider whom I booked through, and after a few months come back with a alternative Hotel. As said earlier everything was booked and planned around us staying at the Devonshire Arms.
on the 3rd January 2014 I was told that the Devonshire Arms would definitely NOT honour my booking.
If I had booked this hotel at any other time of the year I am sure they would honour this, but as it is the Tour de France I believe its down to pure GREED!!!!
From a very unhappy, disappointed Tour De France Fan

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Lisa S
TobittD, Owner at Devonshire Arms, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Once again I understand this ladies disappointment but I'm afraid as the new owner I am not required to pick up a previous owners debts. As the previous owners had left, neither I nor my staff had any contracts with booking agents (who refused to deal with the hotel at that time for monetary reasons).

When we eventually became aware of this booking, you were contacted and told that we were doing a TdeF weekend package of a minimum 2 nights Dinner Bed and Breakfast at £360 for two people. Where the lady thinks greed came in I fail to see - a room is £90 per night plus an allowance of £70 for two meals in our grill room - £160 for 2 nights = £320 which is the price you were quoted NOT £370 as you claim. At the time you appeared to accept this quite happily. Had I been profiteering, I would have done what many other hotels have done ie increased prices and insisted on a 3 night stay and we would not have offered a £40 discount which you were.

I also notice that you were intending to spend your leisure time at the local Rugby club - in other words we were just a bed for the nights in question.

Like any other hostelry on such a momentous occasion, we want people to enjoy the Devonshire Arms TdeF weekend, not someone else's.
Pudsey, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights over the new year in one of the standard twin rooms, which was small but adequate . The buffet on New Year's Eve was excellent, a very high standard, thanks to the new chef. All the staff were lovely and friendly. Will definitely visit again.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
TobittD, Owner at Devonshire Arms, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Thank you very much for your review. It is good to know that you enjoyed your stay and that the food met your expectations. We hope to see you again soon and please remember to tell your friends about us.
United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2013

We have eaten here three times recently and each time has been spot on. Nice pub/bar area with a good choice of beers (although i would like to see a Black Sheep or Theakstons on offer) and a lovely dinning room. Last visit was a party of four, two had starters of prawn cocktail and a black pudding dish - both were very good. Main courses were turkey and beef which were excellent then a creme brulee and cheese plate for desserts. All in all the meal and service were excellent and reasonably priced. Will definitely return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lakespete
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

I booked for one night at the Devonshire Arms in Cracoe over the Tour De France weekend in July 2014 back in August 2013, via the Laterooms website.

I was really pleased to get the room, as it is for a special birthday trip for my 8 year old son to watch the TdF in Yorkshire, and from this location we can cycle directly to the climb at Buckden.

I recently received a call from the Devonshire Arms, who informed me that they had changed their policy for the TdF Weekend, with a minimum stay of 2 nights DBB now required.

So if I wanted to keep my booking, I needed to stay an extra night, with a 600% total price increase to £360, compared to my original booking of £60 for bed and breakfast. So despite a confirmed booking made over 3 months ago, secured by my credit card, they would cancel my booking unless I now agreed to the cost per night increase of 300% from £60 to £180.

This is clear profiteering by the new management who realise they can now sell the rooms for significantly more than they did back in August, due to the lack of room availability in the area. They are happy to essentially blackmail holders of existing bookings into paying more with the threat to cancel the reservation, knowing full well that all other hotels in the area are already fully booked.

Laterooms have been very supportive in trying to resolve the issue on my behalf, but the Devonshire Arms refuse to honour my booking. The Devonshire Arms claim the room should never have been sold at that price in the first place and it was a mistake by Laterooms. However, Laterooms assure me that all room availability and prices are uploaded by the hotel themselves, via an intermediary company eviivo. If the hotel had loaded the incorrect room rate, why has it taken over 3 months to come back to me ?

So based on my experiences, if you have a future booking at the Devonshire Arms, just be prepared that they might significantly increase the room rate, or cancel your booking at any time.

Whilst I am not surprised that hoteliers are trying to cash in on the arrival of the Tour de France in Yorkshire, trying to significantly increase the room rates for existing confirmed bookings is extremely poor customer service.

The hoteliers in Yorkshire could learn some lessons from the French. I stayed in a wonderful hotel in Bourg D’Oisans in the Alps during the Tour de France 2013, experiencing amazing friendly service, with just a small premium on the regular room rate.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank smj
TobittD, Front Office Manager at Devonshire Arms, responded to this review, 19 December 2013
As a business we are obviously sorry that you are unhappy with your treatment - but as explained to you at some length, the reasons for this rarest of decisions are:
1. The present owners had only taken over the business in July and no contracts had been entered into with any booking agency and they were not aware of any forward bookings having been made for 2014.
2. Whoever accepted the booking was not permitted to do so for the reason above - no contracts existed.
3. The price quoted was the winter 2012/2013 rate and Late Rooms were not authorised to sell rooms in 2014 for a 2013 winter price.
4. Notwithstanding the TdF weekend, no one here is permitted to sell a room for 1 night on a Saturday thus depriving us of a 2 or 3 night booking over a weekend.
5. No deposit was made and when Late Rooms called us they were quite happy to cancel the booking based on reasons given to them.
6. You were offered an alternative of two nights en-suite accommodation, full English breakfast and two a la carte dinners in our renowned grill room for 2 people, which is a perfectly reasonable high season weekend rate. This was dismissed out of hand by yourself.
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013

We came across this place by accident when looking for somewhere to eat. It was pitch black dark and it was the first place we drove pat. The staff were very naturally welcoming. They were friendly and polite but not where it was put on as an act you could tell they were genuinely like this. The pub itself is very warm and cosy and clean. It's dog friendly and the owner had a lovely dog. The food was proper home cooked and delicious. I had the mushroom risotto and can honestly say it was the tastiest risotto I have ever tasted. Portion sizes are generous but not over he top. The pub is very clean and cared for. I would definitely make a trip out just to eat here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cracoe
The Devonshire Arms Hotel & Spa
The Devonshire Fell Hotel
The Devonshire Hotel
The Devonshire Hotel
#2 of 2 in Grassington

Been to Devonshire Arms? Share your experiences!