“The best pub 10/10”

Cuisines: Seafood, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We have visited this pub whilst on holiday numerous times and stayed there twice, the current landlord has improved the pub no end and is continuing to do so, I cannot find a single fault, and im concerned for the people that can, how can you possibly complain that the portions are too big???, anyway, pub atmosphere is great the locals are very welcoming, the location is so beautiful, and the accommodation is fantastic so comfortable and spacious for such a small pub, I would challenge anyone to find a more tasty breakfast, the landlord is very generous.
I would recommend this pub time and time again, cannot wait to go back.

2  Thank terry102

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Walked to this from where we were staying. Made very welcome by all the staff. Even made our dogs feel welcome. Great meal, cooked to perfection. Will come again

2  Thank Jayne B
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Overpriced for the area - lasagne cost more than a restaurant we use in Buckhurst Hill Essex.
Huge portions - too large to enjoy. My sister in law and I only needed to order 1 meal to share judging by what we left.
Previously have had undercooked risotto and fish pie that was very dry.
Have now decided not to even try again as so disappointed

3  Thank Linda B
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We were looking for a good pub lunch style meal yesterday (Sunday) to escape from the Holiday Camp horrors. We found this one just two miles away on TripAdvisor and thought we should check it out. We were so pleased we did, first Winterton is one of the prettiest villages you could find, thatched cottages and roses around the door etc.

The pub took a bit of finding but from the outside we decided that it looked like our kind of place.
We went in, the locals were friendly and the bars were cozy.
The beer was great .. It was from Adnams of course, the wine was not only very good but served in a particularly interesting glass.
I chose the Beef and Ale pie which was truly excellent with a fabulous gravy my dear wife had the dressed Crommer Crab Salad with potted shrimps she says that was great as well.
We rounded off by sharing an Eaton Mess and a pair of double espressos which were very good too.
So brilliant! My dear wife came down with an iffy tummy a couple of hours later and I just hate to think it was from the crab, anyway she is over it now.
Will we go again? Oh yes ... the next time we are up that way we will certainly go again. Keep it up!

1  Thank DrLawn
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We were staying in one of the holiday cottages nearby and my son and husband called in to ask if we could book a table for later that evening, however they were put off by the very rude attitude of the owner. I can understand that he might not want to take bookings but why not put a sign outside to inform potential customers? We decided not to give him our custom for the rest of the week which is a shame because there were six of us staying at the cottage and we probably would have eaten there a few times during the week. It sounds like he needs a course in customer service skills!

6  Thank Maude1957