“Good value”
Review of Hermanus Holidays

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Winterton-on-Sea
Hermanus Holidays
Cambridgeshire
“Good value”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We have just returned from a weekend away, we stayed in a 6 bed detached bungalow. If you are looking for modern luxury then this isn't the place for you! But if your looking for a peaceful, quirky place close to the beach then it is! The bungalow was dated and a bit old fashioned but it was clean. The round houses look lovely and I would love to stay in one. It is close to the sandy beach maybe 10 minute walk. The village is lovely and pretty, not a lot going on here, we walked down to the local pub and had tea one night which was lovely! Close to Great Yarmouth and the Norfolk broads. We didn't eat on site or even go in for a drink so I can't comment about the site facilities. Booking was simple and friendly and on the whole can't fault the price I paid.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed here Friday 16 May for 4 nights in a single Roundhouse which reminded me of Lord of the Rings. The inside was slightly dated but spotlessly clean and we brought our dog with us as well. We were situated just a 5 minute walk from the beach. There was a carvery in the pub on site on the Sunday which was reasonably priced and obviously popular with the locals as well.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank andrew_wyrobek
Millom, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I stayed for a week with my husband and 2 pets. We stayed in a double roundhouse. It was perfect, spotlessly clean and very homely. A little old fashioned but I think it added to the character of the roundhouse. Would definitely stay here again and again. We came here a long time ago and my hubby proposed to me in one of the bungalows so it was wonderful memories when we returned. Also the Sunday Carvery has to be seen to be believed. A must for anyone

Room Tip: The roundhouses and the bungalows are the best
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jayne B
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

We stayed here as a couple with a large and a small dog, for the last weekend of April. We stayed in a single thatched roundhouse and fell in love with the design and the clever layout, despite the fact that it was all rather dated inside.

The outside of all the properties at Hermanus have clearly just been repainted and the pastel colours are so pretty and fresh. Inside, everything is spotlessly clean and everything works - it just needs updating from the 90s but that didn't detract from the lovely experience. As we had dogs, I did try to hoover each day but I have to say the machine provided wasn't up to much. But who wants to hoover on holiday, anyway?!

We ate in the bar on our first night and the food was absolutely excellent. As my partner is a Chelsea fan, we asked where we could watch the match the following day; the TV in the bar was pointed out to us. Unfortunately, when it came to football-time, the bar was locked and they don't have Sky anyway! So a trip to reception informed us the nearest place was a bar in Hemsby - a 2-minute drive away. Off we went, watched the game (Thankfully, Chelsea won!), came back to see to the dogs and get some supper (we had missed Sunday lunch).

It turned out that after serving Sunday carvery, both the bar and restaurant were locked. So we decided to walk the dogs on the beach, tire them out and eat at the nearby Fisherman's Return (also serves incredible food - see my other review). To cut a long story short, by the time we got back from the beach we were left with nowhere in Winterton to eat - Hermanus facilities were closed, the Fisherman's Return don't take bookings and were full... it was 8.30pm and we hadn't eaten since breakfast! I panicked drive up the coast found us in Yarmouth at the unexpectedly awesome Ocean Spray (see my other review), and the day was saved!

All in all, I would recommend Hermanus to anyone looking for a quiet break on the East Coast of Norfolk, a few steps from the sandy beach and with good food available both on and off site. Yes, there was a bit of confusion over football and food, but in the end it didn't matter and we're delighted to have found such a great place to eat elsewhere that night. The accommodation price is very reasonable (just £55 per night) and it's in a great location with all the facilities one could want (including an open-air pool they just reopened in May for the holiday season). Now that we're in high season, I doubt the bar and Highwayman Restaurant will close and catch you out like they did us - go along and try a unique experience staying in a single or double roundhouse on the cliffs at Winterton! Traditional chalets also available.

Room Tip: I'd go for a roundhouse on the beach side every time, but the doubles along the driveway, surrou...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Anne S
London
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We (myself, my partner and large dog) stayed for 3 nights in one of the double roundhouses at Hermanus, and it was great! Other reviews state that the roundhouses are dated, and whilst they are not 'modern/contemporary' they are what you would expect to get the cottage feel and are spotlessly clean. We couldn't have faulted it at all. The double roundhouses are split so that the sleeping accommodation is at one end and the lounge, kitchen and bathroom at the other. There is a double bed and 2 bunk beds. It was a really cosy little place to stay.

There was always plenty of hot water and the heating system was excellent, but is controlled centrally so if it's too warm (as it was for us) we just turned them off. There is good sized TV with freeview too.

The location of Hermanus is brilliant - 2 minutes to the extensive sand dunes of Winterton, and about 5 minutes through the dunes to the beach. These are quite hilly, but walking through the village to the beach is just as nice and takes less than 10 minutes. Our dog had a great time running in and out of the sea and along the beach; the beach is dog friendly all year round too, which is great.

Winterton is lovely and everyone is really friendly; the whole village seems to be dog friendly too. Having read reviews we tried the local fish and chip shop - it is pretty good, but you will have to queue as everything is cooked fresh to order, also take note of the opening times as they usually close at 7pm (7.30 on Sat) and are closed Sunday and Monday. The staff here were excellent and we couldn't have faulted them or the food.

I would definitely recommend Hermanus Holidays, and will probably be returning next year for our doggy holiday.

Things I would recommend to take with you: bath mat for floor, bin bags, washing up liquid, towels, tea towels.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NMIA
United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

We booked a long weekend at hermanus with our 4 year old son who refers to the houses as "Gnome Homes" and to be honest he isnt far wrong lol because there is something quite fairytale about these fabulous home from homes.

My husband and I stayed in one of the one bedroom houses on one of our very first "romantic getaways" when we first met so returning with our little boy was a lovely feeling.

Emails and booking was rapid and hassle free checking in was a breeze no long lists of rules.... we stayed in one of the double roundhouses and were very very surprised how big they were!!... large full kitchen and big sitting room and three bedrooms... one big double and two bunk bed rooms... the double houses are situated on the entrance hill so although u dont get the stunning sea views of the single houses u still get the peace and privacy.... if you want modern luxury then this isnt for you... its a wee bit dated but to me this adds to the quirkiness of the place a fantastic break away with all your mod cons and its really cosy... very up to date heating system... lovely glowing electric fire... all you need after a few brisk hours on the local beaches :-) dogs are welcomed in certain houses which is great and you cant go wrong value for money wise.... we didnt get to sample tge restaurant this time round but it always seemed very busy which can only be a good sign.... highly recommend and hope to return in the winter :-)

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CrazyChick1981
Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here with my wife's family for the weekend, the service was first class, booking was nice and easy, all my emails were quickly answered. The roundhouses themselves were delightful and comfortable. We had a meal in the bar, which was very good, the chef came out and had a chat, and the serving staff were very good. The meal excellent and didn't cost the earth. Everyone from our 15 strong group have all vowed to return. Overall, very good service from start to finish at a reasonable price.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winterton-on-Sea
Wayford Bridge Inn
#2 of 21 in Great Yarmouth
The Old Station House
The Old Station House
#1 of 1 in Hemsby

Been to Hermanus Holidays? Share your experiences!