“A Classic in Every Sense”

Ballathie House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stanley
Reviewed 19 October 2013

After a bit of a grueling run through Europe for work, I spent a night at Ballathie House on the way to visit some old friends. This is a very special place. Decor in this spectacular old home is comfortable, plush and homey. Staff are very warm and friendly and service was impeccable. Chef Scott Scorer does a great job of preparing local ingredients from the rich farm country and surrounding area into fabulous creative dishes. An easy drive to or from Edinburgh airport and just off the motorway if you're heading North or hitting the whiskey trail. Serves lunch and tea if you cant stop for the night. Bonus: fishing rights in the Tay River, great walking and scenery. Sorry I didn't meet the resident Labrador Retriever. Didn't experience any of the (relatively minor ) problems raised in earlier reviews.

Stayed: October 2013
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Dear COCOfromottowa,

Thank-you for writing such a glowing review about Ballathie House Hotel.

Scott and his team in the kitchen work very hard to produce such fantastic seasonal fayre. Most of his ingredients, which cannot be foraged from the hotel and Estate, are sourced within the Perthshire area. It is very rewarding for us to read your appreciation of his efforts – thank-you!

I do hope that the next time you visit from Canada; you will be able to come and enjoy all of the spoils Ballathie has to offer.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 7 October 2013

This was out first visit to Ballathie and we enjoyed the relaxing visit. The food was beautiful. We were placed in a room in the Riverside Annexe which was a bit dated. On arrival we were informed that our room was not ready and asked to have a walk round the grounds which we did. We returned an hour later and asked if the room was now available, given the key and told it was in the annexe. At other hotels we have been shown to our room and we also felt that reception could have asked us to return perhaps half an hour later - fortunately the weather was favourable and we were able to walk. Reception area not ideal - feel the staff do not realise visitors are present there. However, overall an enjoyable visit.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anne V
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Dear Anne V,

Thank-you for taking the time to write a review about Ballathie.

I am sorry that on this occasion you feel we were not up to standard on your arrival to our hotel. I am taking your review very seriously and I will keep you updated with a private message once I have concluded my investigation into why this happened.

I am delighted that this did not detract from you having a wonderful stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Ballathie in the not too distant future.

Thank-you again for your review.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

We had a lovely dinner at Ballathie again, it's always great to return here, not far from home, we are lucky to have one of Scotland's best hotels on our doorstep.

The welcome at reception was friendly and efficient, the service over dinner was just perfect, attentive but not over the top. The food , boy, the food. Out of this world, the plates looked like works of art, we were frightened to start, I stopped short of taking a photograph - it didn't seem right. A wonderful evening finished off with coffee in the lounge by the fire.

Unbeatable

Room Tip: Unfortunately we didn't stay but I am sure all the rooms are wonderful
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2013

Dear Strawberryeater,

It is always wonderful to welcome a familiar face back to Ballathie – thank you for returning.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent meal with us and that on this occasion we were able to exceed your expectations. I have passed all of your comments onto our team who were all very proud of their service delivery standards.

I look forward to welcoming you once again to Ballathie – hopefully in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I booked my room with a very sort notice. On the online reservation I made a mistake on the date, booking the room for a month later. I called the reception just before we start our journey to Perth and I was offered a room for the same night with the same discounted price including a travel cot for our son.

Arriving to the hotel we were greeted by friendly and helpful staff. Our room was on the main building on the 1 st floor overlooking the back garden and the river.

Big room with big bed and a great view. Decoration is vintage but that gives the room and the hotel the right character. We loved it.

We liked the hotel, the area, the gardens, the spacious seating rooms and of course the helpful staff.

The only negative to us was that there is only one dinner option and that is at the expensevive and award wining restaurant ( i cannot value the dinner quality because i didnt dine there)

We will visit this place again and of course recommend it to our friends.

Thanks

Georgios

• Stayed: September 2013
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

Dear Georchar,

It is rewarding for me to read that our staff made such a large impact on your stay with us here at Ballathie.

I will be certain to pass all of your comments onto our team who I am sure will be motivated by all of your kind words – Thank-you.

We look forward to welcoming you and all of your friends

Reviewed 1 October 2013

Ballathie House is set in the most lovely part of Scotland, and with our room looking out onto the river, and fields opposite with horses rolling around, the views couldn't be better.

We ate in the dining room the first night but were disappointed to learn they don't do Bar Suppers, which we'd planned the following evening. We were told we could have one item off the main menu or a sandwich...neither of which was what we were looking for so we ate in Dunkeld instead. While I understand the emphasis is more on Fine Dining I think it's a real shame they don't offer bar meals as another option.

The pros are the extremely friendly staff, the lovely setting, the fantastic dinner in the restaurant and the fabulously large comfortable bed. The cons were our very dated room full of pine furniture which made it look as if it belonged in the 80's, cold toast (on both mornings), and having to head out for a bar supper.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Fabatfourtyish,

Thank for taking the time to write a review about Ballathie House Hotel.

We have become a food destination hotel with our emphasis focused on fine cuisine which is accompanied with a comprehensive wine list and all of the diner trimmings. I am delighted that you enjoyed your meal with us on the first evening and apologise that this was not the product you were looking for on your second evening. I am very proud however that our reception staff were able to organise you and alternative.

It is rewarding to hear that as a whole you enjoyed your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you again when you are next down from Aberdeen.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

My partner and I ventured up to Ballathie House from the Scottish Borders. Filled with excitement and anticipation. Naturally we were not disappointed. We were made to feel like we had returned home, the welcome we received was brilliant. Full of smiles and nothing was too much trouble. We settled in and took a walk round the estate - just magical.

From our wonderful room, to the cosy bar where we sat in anticipation of dinner it was just fantastic - Scott Scorer is a genius in the kitchen and we thoroughly enjoyed every minute of dinner.

A truly special place! We can't wait for our next visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2013

Dear Carol B,

Thank-you for taking the time to write a review about Ballathie.

Scott is the power house behind the food here at Ballathie and he and his team have done an amazing job in steering the hotel into new culinary grounds – It is a privilege and pleasure to work with such a committed Chef. The proof of this commitment is evident in the food he produces and the food you experienced during your stay with us – Thank-you for your kind words and appreciation.

We do hope you venture up from the Borders again soon and enjoy everything we have to offer here at Ballathie!

Reviewed 26 September 2013

My Husband and I have stayed in the Ballathie House during our stay in Scotland. And I must admit that untill now I am under impression of that place! Huge, beautiful grounds, spacious country house, river close by. We stayed there for just one night, but I wish we could have spent more time there..
Amazing, friendly and helpful staff, charming Owner! Delicious food, very professional and friendly waiters! Comfortable, pretty interiors, both rooms and hotel public spaces like restaurant, lobbies.

There was no single thing we did not like there! Strongly recommend!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Bozena H,

Thank-you for your wonderful review about Ballathie.

I am delighted that we were able to exceed your expectations during your recent visit with us. All of our staff are exceptionally happy with the efforts they had made to prompt with your review – I really appreciate your kind words!

We look forward to welcoming you back to Ballathie when you are next in Scotland.

Jody Marshall

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanley
Dunkeld House Hotel
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa
Huntingtower Hotel
Huntingtower Hotel
#1 of 18 in Perth

Been to Ballathie House Hotel? Share your experiences!