“Wedding Guest”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Stanley
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Wedding Guest”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Spent 2 nights here; had a room in the Sportsman's Lodge. Cost was £90 for the room on a B & B basis.
Room is described by the management as "top end 3*" - well it's not. On the plus side it was big, and quiet. However, it was more like a big motel room than a luxury Scottish country house hotel. It was sparsely furnished, the quilt didn't cover the bed properly, the TV was tiny and had appalling sound, the windows had no blinds and the curtains didn't fully close, the shower screen didn't fit properly so the floor got wet when you had a shower, and there was nowhere in the bathroom to hang clothes or towels.

The breakfast was shocking: apparently they would charge a non-resident £18.75 for it, which would be robbery. Everything is served out of "keep warm" dishes and hence is tepid. Fried eggs were runny and undercooked, and the bacon was horrible.

The staff seemed to come from everywhere except Scotland, were uninterested in us, and barely spoke.

The public rooms in the main hotel were in good order and well-decorated - although interestingly the collection of AA rosettes for the catering seems to have stopped in 2007, which might explain a lot.

This is a very expensive place which should deliver more for the price. It needs significant investment, which the current owner seems not willing to make. We would not go back.

Room Tip: Don't bother with the Sportsman's Lodge - if you're going to stay here spend more and be...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Steve W
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Steve W,

Thank-you for taking the time to write a review about Ballathie.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. If I may, I would like to address a few of your comments.

The Chef has maintained a two rosette standard. These plates are displayed at the front door. I am uncertain where you obtained the 2007 information from. You are very correct in that this sends a very clear message how wonderful our food is here.

I would like to indicate to you that the room prices are set by the bride. I think that this is enough said about this element and respect her special day.

As you were attending a wedding, it was requested that a buffet breakfast was served. I agree that this is not ideal, but again, this is us respecting the bride’s wishes. Your statement of “runny and overcooked eggs” is something I do not know how to address, for me, your egg is either runny or overcooked. You are correct in stating that breakfast is £18-75, but this is for an A-la-carte service, very different from a brides request.

You seem prejudice about foreign staff? For me, it is about employing the best staff for the position and not about where they come from.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. It would however, would have been great if you had told us on checkout, or better still, when you arrived so that we could have solved these problems for you. I am sorry that you were not able to speak to the bride about these either.

I do hope you return to Ballathie, so that we are able to offer you the real Ballathie experience.

Jody Marshall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

My boyfriend surprised me for our anniversary & booked us one night at Ballathie House. From the beginning it was just dreamy, the drive in to the hotel was lovely we felt we were a million miles away from anything, perfect for what we were looking for. Upon arrival we were greeted instantly by a lovely member of staff, although I do feel she could have been a little more informative, for example showing us where everything was located in the main hotel building, as later we heard a different member of staff showing around another couple who were checking in & we both said it would have been nice to have received that information upon our arrival. We were given room 16 in the riverside building I was absolutely in love with! It was beautiful, the decor was lovely and fresh & the room was bright and spacious. The bathroom was big & very clean. We absolutely loved the balcony aswell, being able to sit out and look directly onto the river was just wonderful. We also liked the comfy white robes provided too & sat out on the balcony in them enjoying our tea. The grounds were absolutely stunning and my boyfriend and I loved spotting all the different birds and animals around too. We chose not to dine for dinner but we did have breakfast the next morning which was lovely, I enjoyed the granola and fruit. The staff were attentive and helpful. My boyfriend and I enjoyed our stay so much that we felt so saddened to leave! One night just isn't enough and we were already planning our next visit before we had even checked out. I think the hotel would benefit from having a spa and massage/beauty parlour of such because it really is such a peaceful place, i think a spa and massage would have been the cherry on the top of what was an amazing stay. If you are looking to escape the harshness of city life I would recommend a weekend at Ballathie House, you will leave feeling refreshed, relaxed and cleansed. Stunning grounds, picturesque and peaceful. Could not have had a better surprise or anniversary present!

Room Tip: Room 16!! Is all I'm saying! Definitely think it was the best room in the riverside building ( h...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Amber25x,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Ballathie.

It is very rewarding to read about how much you enjoyed your time with us.

I have spoken to the team to ensure that standards are maintained with every guests experience – thank-you for your feed back.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Ballathie for more than a one nights stay I hope?

Bankfoot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I attended the Perthshire Chamber of Commerce "Showcase Lunch" on Tuesday 8th July.

Whilst the grounds and setting are stunning, no attention to detail has been spared for the service, drink and food. The food is fabulous and I only wish I'd taken the menu home with me to share with my wife!!

Will definitely be back.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Bankfootdave,

It is wonderful to read in your review that you enjoyed our showcase lunch of Ballathie.

We are very privileged as a hotel to be based in Perthshire and more particularly to have the support of such a welcoming business community.

I do hope you return to Ballathie, with your wife next time, so that we can install in her the same pride we have for our amazing region.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We had an overnight stay at Ballathie House Hotel on Sunday 6th July, this was our first stay at the hotel but it will not be our last! From the moment we arrived until the moment we left we had a fantastic, relaxing break. The grounds, hotel room and public areas were all of a high standard but the real jewel in the crown was dinner - by far the best meal I have ever had! We had the sea trout and the beetroot salad to start and the guinea fowl and fillet of beef for the mains, the food was beautifully presented, excellent value for money and served by professional, friendly staff. Our table for both dinner and breakfast had beautiful views across the river and surrounding countryside. I am on a gluten free diet and the hotel dealt with this as if it was a normal occurrence, the gluten free bread was outstanding! The grounds are gorgeous, a gentle stroll along the riverside walk helped to build up our appetites. Next time we will stay longer.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 4 which had gorgeous views across the river.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mj1Glasgow
Dear MJ1Glasgow,

Thank-you for your kind words in your recent review about Ballathie.

It is wonderful to read that on this occasion your expectations were exceeded. Special personal dietary requirements are something that Scott our Chef take prides in delivering. He and his team really appreciate your acknowledgement of this – Thank-you.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Ballathie – hopefully for a longer stay and sharing our views of the Tay with you.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I shall start with what was good, indeed very good, about our short stay at Ballathie House.

The house itself is delightful, as are the grounds, and to be able to wander through them to the lovely River Tay is a real bonus.

Dinner was a feast for the eyes and brought the taste buds well and truly alive. The crab and avocado starter was quite outstanding and was in itself a work of art. Such attention to detail is rare, and surpassed that we have experienced in restaurants with Michelin star in the Scottish capital. The duck dish that followed was bursting with flavour and again attractively presented, and we had no difficulty finding exactly the wine we wanted at a price that was not eye-watering. Service was friendly, but also professional, and the two hard-working young waitresses did a splendid job. Breakfast, too, was a much enjoyed meal with cooked-to-order dishes served piping hot by pleasant and attentive staff.

Our room was bright and spacious, well furnished, and had good beds and comfortable pillows. The bathroom was spacious too, and the shower over the bath efficient, though we did not like the liquid soap in a cylinder (despite the notice about landfills) with a plunger which did not work, and filled from large containers which could be viewed through an open door when passing along the corridor! What we did like were the large crisp, white bath sheets and hand towels and the high standard of housekeeping. It's always good to see fittings and fixtures in a bathroom sparkle with cleanliness.

And now to the lost gilt. Although we were happy with our room, immediately outside its windows was a whining extract fan which we assumed would be disabled when the kitchen closed but no, our assumption was incorrect and this whining went on all night. Only on the coldest of winter nights at home are our bedroom windows closed, but we had no option but to close those windows and so doing shut out the beautiful clear air of rural Perthshire.

Upon mentioning this when paying my bill in the morning, I was told that three bedrooms are affected by two extract fans, but that these fans are usually turned off around 9:30pm and that someone must have forgotten to do so. Many people attach a great deal of importance to a good night's sleep, especially when staying in a hotel, and I would have thought that as well as someone being responsible for disabling these extract fans at night, there should be another with responsibility for checking that this has been done.

We would have preferred it had some of the gilt on our gingerbread not been missing. After all, the solution to the whining fan problem is a simple one.

Room Tip: An obvious trip is try to avoid being allocated one of the three offending rooms!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank billyboy
Dear Billyboy,

We appreciate the time you have taken to write a review about Ballathie – Thank-you.

It is wonderful to read your honest review about how much you enjoyed your time with us.

I am sorry that on this occasion that the ball was dropped and the fans were not turned off. This is a ridiculous error and something I have stressed to the team.

I agree totally with you in that our aim as a Hotel is to provide a good night’s sleep and a memorable experience. I am sorry that we failed on this occasion. I am however delighted that it did not taint your stay with us.

I have sent you a private message using the Tripadvisor tool, I look forward to your response.

Ashington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

My wife & I had the pleasure of staying here a couple of weeks ago. Our room in the Riverside building was excellent, with views of the main hotel & river. The staff were all really friendly & helpful, which made our stay very enjoyable.

Breakfast was good, with very pleasant waitress service. Didn't try the fine dining, went to the local pub instead.

We're going back in October!!

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear 555Brian,

Thank-you for taking the time in writing a review about Ballathie.

Our team is delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I agree with you that our riverside rooms are fantastic. Located next to the Tay and each of them having their own private balcony - They are the perfect location for a quiet getaway.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Ballathie in the not too distant future and hopefully enticing you with our gourmet dining experience.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We retraced our steps of 15+ years ago and went back only to find Ballathie very disappointed
The meal was overpriced for what you got and when I told the staff that I was allergic to shell fish
And could I have the Salmon with no prawns they did exactly what I asked a small piece of smoked salmon with no garnish.
We were given a room in the new wing a stand alone lodge that reminded me of a care home, rooms were reasonably furnished.
When booking we asked if there was wifi in the rooms as I was expecting Bussiness emails as it was still Thursday and I was on my way to a client and would the information, that I required for the meeting. When I arrived I found out that there was only wifi in the main house any even that had to be accessed in the main hall way.
Not good in this day and age.

Room Tip: Suggest rooms in the main building No pool no fitness centre Good fishing area
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Gordon K
Jody M, General Manager at Ballathie House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Gordon K,

I appreciate the time you have taken to share your opinions about Ballathie, I am however somewhat frustrated at a few of your comments having hosted you for most of the time when you were with us. Please allow me to elaborate.

When I presented the menu to you for your evening meal, you indicated that you would like a fillet of Salmon for your main course. You indicated to me that you would prefer this without the cravettes as you were allergic to shellfish. I feel that your comment is inaccurate. As your meal had a dietary requirement for it, your meal was double checked by our head chef who ensured that you had extra vegetables and a larger portion of fish to compensate for you not being able to eat shellfish. I then spoke to you in the middle of your main course, as I did a courtesy check to ensure that everything was to your satisfaction, when you thanked me for accommodating your needs.

With regards to your room, on arrival, you indicated to our reception that you had booked a 3 star, Sportsmans Lodge room and you were hoping for a complimentary upgrade to a four star room. I am sorry on this occasion that we were unable to accommodate this request.

You are correct in stating that on certain days (weather dependant) that some of the rooms have limited wifi access in the lodge rooms. I am delighted that you enjoyed our complimentary wifi in our public spaces to receive your work related E-mails.

It is very disappointing for me to read that on this occasion, the team and I, worked hard to exceed your expectations, but this was not to your satisfaction. I do hope that when you return to Ballathie, you will tell us that you have higher expectations, so that we can work harder to exceed them. We are not able to exceed customer expectations, if our guests tell us that everything is okay and they are satisfied.

Jody Marshall
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stanley
Dunkeld House Hotel
Atholl Palace Hotel
#8 of 18 in Pitlochry
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,705 reviews
Knock Castle Hotel & Spa

Been to Ballathie House Hotel? Share your experiences!