We stayed here for 3 days 2 nights at the end of our South African trip before returning to Thailand, and it was very enjoyable and totally amazing, despite some cold rain. The River Lodge is 1 of 3 lodges within the Kariega Game Reserve and the only one on the river. We came as a group so stayed in a cluster of private villas. Each villa has an electric golf cart for guests to get around... which as the GM told us is the "only place where you can drink and drive". Giraffe and buffalo walk right up to the Lodge but are kept out by electric fences.
Each party is assigned a dedicated game ranger who stayed with us throughout the stay. Ours was Gerhard and he was excellent, very knowledgeable and passionate about this work. We saw herds of giraffe, zebra, hippo, white rhinoceros, elephants (walking so close past our vehicle you could touch them), various antelopes, buffalo and on the 2nd day Gerhard managed to track down a pride of lions. We watched from the vehicle as the male lion chewed the head of a bleisbok. Even when not seeing any animals, it was fun just riding around on the open-top Toyota Landcruiser along the dirt tracks through the wilderness.
During the day in between safaris, guests can relax at the Lodge's deck beside the river or do a variety of activities such as hiking or taking a boat trip down to the sea. We were impressed by the close-knit family atmosphere among the rangers and also the very warm hospitality of the Lodge staff.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled on the banks of the Bushman's River, this Lodge is unique in that it connects a Big-5 Kariega Game Reserve to the sea. Our optional daily boat cruises ferry guests through the quaint sea side village of Kenton-on-Sea. Inside the Lodge guests can find a quiet spot in one of the lounges, page through a book in the library, enjoy the pool or take in the view from the magnificent deck which overhangs the river. Twice daily safari drives, guided walks, river fishing, canoeing and river trips are included. Accommodation, all meals and local beverages are also included. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Odigeo, HotelsClick, Ebookers and Cancelon so you can book your Kariega Game Reserve - River Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- River Hotel Kenton-On-Sea
- River Hotel Kariega Game Reserve
- Kariega Game Reserve - River Lodge South Africa/Kenton-On-Sea