“Brilliant Hotel and setting.”

Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thornton Hough
St. Helens
“Brilliant Hotel and setting.”
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We stayed at Thornton Hall for one night while attending a function. The garden bedroom was fantastic. The room itself was very clean and had a beautiful view of the gardens and main house. The en-suite, again very clean and even had a tv built into the wall to enable you to relax in the bath while watching it. Yes, there was a remote control aswell. The only negative comment here and it is not about the room but, I didn't really enjoy being woken up at 6.45am by Bob the builder, at full volume from another room.
We ate afternoon tea in the bar and I would recommend it, however let me describe the scones to you. One each, they came warm with cream and jam but were the size of a conker! I think there must be a competition somewhere in the catering industry to produce a quality micro scone, and Thornton hall are definatley a contender! However, on saying that, there was no problem when we requested two more.
We used the Spa and again, very clean in all areas; changing rooms, pool, steam room etc. Can't fault it.
The evening meal at our function was exceptionally good and there was plenty of it.
The only negative thing I would comment on is: the staff in the function room. Everything appeared to be a bother, none of them could raise a smile and their uniforms were not very clean, e.g. some of the male staff had dirty marks on their ties which was clearly visable.
Summary.
A good venue with excellent Spa facilities. This is a good wedding venue so not the place for a quiet romantic weekend!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Merseyside
Reviewed 3 August 2011

We spent one night at Thornton Hall as we were at a family wedding at nearby Thornton Manor. Reception staff were pleasant and helpful and the outside of the hotel looked as good as the 4 star rating would suggest. We were given Room 232 which was not in the main hotel building but in an annex/extension. The room itself was clean an functional with lots of cupboard space ( good for a longer stay )+ we moved the car to the nearest door to the room to unload ( we were going onwards for a short holiday the next day). That was when we noticed our room was near a service cupboard of some sort. Opposite the entrance we were using the door to this room was left open showing what seemed to be bags of rubbish-- not a good look. We went off to the wedding, returning in the early hours when a very pleasant night porter guided us in through a side door. We slept well until we were woken initially by slamming doors and what sounded like trolleys running up and down the corridor at approx 7.30 am. Then, to make it worse, a delivery lorry started unloading drink crates or something in the car park right outside our bedroom window-- we were outside one of the function rooms ! However, breakfast itself was served in a beautiful room , the Lawns Restaurant , where the staff, especially the Maitre D were excellent and food good. If we had been given a different room we would have been very happy with our stay but were left feeling very disappointed, especially as most other rooms opened out onto lovely gardens , some with balconies. Also, there were some maintenance issues in the bathroom ie broken tiles, badly fitting units around the sink , the hot water tap just trickled luke warm water. We checked out feeling slightly let down and pleased we were not spending another nightg in room 232 !

Room Tip: Try to get room in main hotel
2 Thank JourneymanMerseyside
Lancashire
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Stayed there for a wedding which was at the lovely Thornton Manor, however Thornton Hall was well positioned to be near and the initial reception was fine and pleasant which boded well for our stay. The rooms were barely better than Travelodge, pleasant but not great. also a little noisy from late night revellers but I guess that would be expected.

1 Thank LancashireBentley
Hildenborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2011

This is my second visit to this hotel and it won't be the last! After my first stay I wondered if the positive experience was a one-off, but now i realise the hotel offers consistent good value, an excellent restaurant and friendly efficient service. What makes it even more remarkable is that the hotel employs local UK residents who don't make you feel as though they're doing you a huge favour, as is the case with most UK nationals working in the hotel industry in this country!

Room Tip: Simply ask at reception at check-in as the staff are very obliging.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Just spent a fantastic weekend at Thornton Hall and from a self-proclaimed cynic when it comes to high end hotels I have to say this once finally lived up to its four stars! The hotel itself is utterly stunning and has a fascinating history – check out their carved staircase which illustrates famous children’s stories and the staff are helpful and friendly. However the best part of my stay at Thornton Hall was having lunch in the very swanky Lawns restaurant. I had the crab cocktail to start which was fresh and tender, followed by the most light trout I have ever tasted which literally melted in the mouth and finally I finished the lunch with their Tidy Eton Mess (its hard to get this dish wrong and it was as usual divine). At the end of the meal the empty plates said it all! Lastly Thornton Hall is located in the quaint village of Thornton Hough which is worth a visit in itself! Loved it!

Teignmouth
Reviewed 26 July 2011

The location is great with an attractive village just down the road, within walking distance.
The rooms were clean and service was excellent.
It helps that the hotel has many original features including pannelled walls and a splendid fire place in the restaurant.
There always seemed to be a member of Staff around if one was needed, and without exception every request was courteously and pleasantly handled.
Finally, we were there for my son's outdoor wedding, (in the Hotel gardens) which ran completely without a blip, and what more could anyone ask.

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Worse stay of my life -HATED THE STAY!! Me and my partner were very angry and gutted because it was out last vacation together and it was ruined by the so called 4* hotel.
Don’t be fooled by the website pictures.. My partner and I were!
We paid for a club room (room only), for £79 the night and in the picture it look awesome, but when we opened the doors to the room it was like a hospital room so green(not a nice green) but the bathroom was nice and modern.. Trust me the decor is awful not romantic at all, I could not stay in the room so we rang the reception she said we can upgrade to room 10 a superior room in the main house for £50 on top although we had been miss leaded by false advertisements we still upgraded because the decor was that bad. So it cost us £129 for room only. We thought were going to stay in a beautiful room the purple or the black one I saw on the website... Which I really likes it was an executive I think.
WELL WHAT AN UPGRADE IT WAS-- (not what i was expecting) the decor was ok but I’ve seen miles better at much cheaper prices. We paid for a better room so we expected better facilities-- but oh no-- NOTHING WORKS... We had been ROBBED! I don’t no were to start... Carpets all stained... Heater or air weren’t working.. TV channel changer not working.. Most of all NO HOT WATER... A nightmare... O yeah it was no double bed it was two singles pushed together I kept on falling in the gap, in the morning my back hurt)
I wanted to have a bath gorgeous bathroom (the only good thing about the room) but guess what I couldn't even do that! I left the water running while I was in the bath after 5min freezing water started coming out so I came out and waited for the hot water.. Nope it wasn't coming out the wait was at least half an hour.. So 2 hours left till checkout,, my partner rang reception.. The lady said let it run... He told her that we have for half an hour... and she had nothing to stay... she then goes it will come...I WAITED A FURTHER HOUR.. NO HOT WATER.. NOT ONLY THAT WHAT A WASTE TOO! I had no choice but to was the remaining shampoo with freezing cold water because the reception rang saying we have to check out immediately.. Another reason why it was the worse stay ever!
When we checked in we asked the lady if we could have a late checkout and she very kindly said we could till one o'clock without cost... but in the morning of checkout the reception rings the room at 11 telling us to basically 'get out' while I was waiting for the hot water.. Again it was a night mare!
Upon checkout we explained to the reception lady (who was very nice) how we were very disappointed.. by the way when we told her about having no hot water, She admitted that they have this problem and the boiler can’t reach the main house... THIS MEANS WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN AWARE OF THIS PROBLEM IF WE WERE WE WOULD NOT HAVE UPGRADED IF BASIC NECESSITIED WERN'T AVAILABLE-- WHICH IM SURE IS ILLEGAL OR SOMETHING.
The lady called no manger instead she told us to fill out a complaint form and guaranteed us that a manager would get in touch with us... and has he/she? NO!
I'm just very upset and I can't believe this was supposed to be one of the best rooms a charter room we were told the best in the hotel next door to the penthouse.. Not only that it was meant to be a 4*...We were ripped off!!

Instead of “romantic, peaceful getaway" as stated on their website it’s a living nightmare. My partner and I were looking so forward to this stay; again I can't believe how upset we are.
Night in premier inn would have been more romantic for a fraction of the price!!

Room Tip: don't stay in the main house unless your ok with not having hot water
5 Thank MissR_xx
Village Hotel Wirral
#1 of 3 in Bromborough
Central Liverpool
30 James Street, Home of the Titanic

Been to Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!