“Mixed experience - certainly not as good as pictures suggest”

Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thornton Hough
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Mixed experience - certainly not as good as pictures suggest”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

The hotel has some great facilities in the form of the spa and treatment centre. However, the room had a musty feel and smell as did the carpets in the hallway, definitely in need of a clean! Our experience started with arriving at the time we had some treatments booked due to a navigation mishap. We asked the two young receptionist to phone to let them know of the delay whilst we took our luggage to our room which was not in the main hotel but is a crossroads like annexe, we were told that this would be ok. However, when we got there resulted in our 25 min treatments reduced to 15mins!!! Not a good start. When then made our way over to the spa area. The 20 metre pool was great, though not the cleanest. They have two outdoor hot tubs, neither of them seem very hot. The steam room was hot though.
The receptionist who seem to work as a pair, asked us if we would like robes, we said yes, but we never got them. If we wanted paper in the morning, we never got it.
The bathroom was nice, but the finish was disappointing, not least the peeble dash of grouting still on the tiles.
The hotel seems to lack identity, not sure if it is a boutique or country manor type hotel and succeeds in being neither. The plastic flowers in the main areas and outside really are tacky!
Breakfast was good, although no soya milk! most staff were very friendly, some quirky! Overall, it was worth the £89 we paid for bed and breakfast, but no more.
Thornton Hough is a really delightful picturesque timber clad village. The hotel would do well to echo the beauty and themes on offer.

Room Tip: DO not dine at ego, a local restaurant.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank matiman
GeoffD, Guest Relations Manager at Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We very much welcome all feedback be it positive or negative as we are constantly striving to offer our guests a truly first class customer experience.

Kindest regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Stayed at this hotel as we were attending a wedding and wanted to share the whole experience with our friends. When we booked some 6 months ago we should have had an idea of some of the issues given that some guests were charged less for their rooms than us, not sure whether it was because I was not from the area. Not wanting to upset our friends we didn't cause waves. We didn't get in early to dress although all our friends staying nearby at the Premier Inn for a lot less, managed to get into their room so we changed there.

After the wedding, we arrived at reception and there were staff just stood around and although the receptionist was efficient and said everything she had to, she struggled to smile or engage in any conversation. Strangely we were asked to sign a contract saying we'd only drink alcohol purchased at the hotel. This has never ever happened to me before.

The room was lovely and there were no issues there, it was clean and met our needs although I would say that there was nothing except the toiletries that made is much different to our friends room and the bed was really soft which didn't help my bad back but that's personal taste which I wouldn't expect to be fully accommodated.

The wedding was fantastic and I echo the comments from the father below that the master of ceremonies was excellent as were all the staff and the food was gorgeous; enough to keep us going.

The bar prices - now I know why they have the contract £11.70 for a pint of lager and glass of wine. So if you are going, make sure you have budgeted for the drinks, the cash machine charges and there is no other access to cash nearby.

My opinion is that this hotel is of a good standard but the little things do let it down like reception area and drink prices. If those prices weren't charged making an incredible profit then there would be no need for guests to sneak in their own alcohol and this would prevent some of the issues they have clearly had - it is a shame we are all tarred with the same brush.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Roxi09
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We welcome all feedback be it positive or negative. We are always aiming to provide a truly 1st class experience so all feedback is totally essential to us. I am so happy to hear you had a wonderful experience at the wedding and I hope to welcome you again to Thornton hall.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

This is my first time on TripAdvisor but I just wanted to share how FANTASTIC MY WEDDING WAS!!!!!!!! We (Still cant get use to using the word we) have just returned from honeymoon and just wanted to say thank you to Thornton Hall Hotel for a great great great day!!! and if I have to pick anyone out it has to be Nick Foster who was with us all day from the civil until the last orders were called at 2.00 am.If you are looking for a venue I would say book today!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you taking the time to write a review. I am truly happy to hear how amazing your day with us was. I will certainly pass on your lovely comments to the Events team and in particular Nick. I am sure they will be greatly touched by your kind words.
We really hope to see you both again at Thornton Hall.

liverpool
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on a secret escape deal. It was £179 for dinner bed and breakfast. We had an allowance of £34 per orrson in the dining which just covered a starters and main. The wine was quite expensive but gorgeous. If you stay here with this deal just be aware to take some money with you for extras. We expected this so it wasn't a problem. The deal also included a bottle of champagne on arrival which we received on entering the room. We were upgrades to a studio room which was amazing! Tv in the bathroom and lots of space-very glam! This deal was fantastic, the room was lovely and the food in the restaurant was the nicest I have ever tasted! We had the lamb and it was beautiful. We loved it so much I am taking my mum and sister with me for a stay in December!!!!!!

If you book this deal, you won't regret it!

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank RacheP
Thank you taking the time to write a review. I am so happy to hear that you both had such a fantastic time with us. It is always lovely to receive such positive comments. I will most certainly pass them on to all concerned. We very much hope to welcome you again to Thornton Hall.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

My company used the Torintone Suite at Thornton Hall Hotel last Saturday for a Family & Friends meeting followed by lunch and then the company's AGM. The setting was lovely, the staff were attentive and professional and the food was delicious. The whole day went without a hitch and many compliments were received from those present.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review. I will certainly pass on your fantastic comments to all concerned

Reviewed 27 September 2013

My daughters wedding was perfection from start to finish. Staff were excellent, in particular master of ceremonies David Pike. He couldn't do enough and ensured everything went as planned. Would absolutely recommend this Hotel.
Food was exceptional despite having to serve 117 guests.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Eric B
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so happy to hear your wedding was everything you had hoped it would be. I will pass on your fantastic comments to Dave and his deditcated team.

Thank you once again.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I was at Thornton hall on for a Forum ball last Friday and I must admit i was pleasantly surprised with how much i enjoyed the evening. The setting was beautiful as was the venue and the set up of the room. The staff made sure the evening ran without a hitch and don't be fooled by the fresh faced bar staff and waiters they are extremely efficient and very helpful. Overall a great evening would happily return.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Charlie H
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so happy to hear your event was a huge success. I will certainly pass on your kind comments to all concerned.

Thank you once again.

30 James Street, Home of the Titanic
Village Hotel Wirral
#1 of 3 in Bromborough
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,468 reviews

Been to Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!