“Great wedding venue”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thornton Hough
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great wedding venue”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We got married here in July and loved it. From the minute we booked right up until the day of the wedding, the process was easy and the hotel staff were very welcoming and efficient. The event co-ordinator was excellent and even though on the day we had a different person (which did concern me initially), she was fantastic and very knowledgeable. We had asked for the penthouse at first but that was quite expensive so we opted for room 2. Nearer the wedding time we decided that we wanted the penthouse due to its space and views and they were happy for us to change our booking and get it for the same price (which to me should have happened when we first booked or they should tie in the penthouse to the wedding cost). The actual day was amazing and weather was perfect so used the outside gazebo. Everything went to plan and was controlled well by the co-ordinator. Food was excellent. My only gripe was the dessert- I'm vegetarian and the dessert we opted for (assiette of desserts) wasn't veggie on the day- even though I had specifically asked for this to be. So I had to opt for fruit. And yes the drinks are very expensive- I can see this being a factor in decision making for events there. Everything else was fantastic though and I would thoroughly recommend the venue for a wedding (especially outdoor).

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Geoff D, Guest Relations Manager at Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am delighted to hear that you have had a fantastic time regarding your stay.
I have passed on your comments to all concerned. I hope to welcome you again to Thornton Hall.
Kindest regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
winchester
Reviewed 10 January 2014

After eating here on Christmas Eve in 2012 we booked 2 nights in 5 rooms for 11 members of our family for Christmas 2013. Through out the whole booking process from the middle of 2013 through to our check in, the staff were so helpful and friendly. The rooms were all on one corridor on the ground floor, the meals were lovely and the service impeccable. We used the swimming pool and outdoor hottub and wished we had had time to use the spa. The whole stay more than lived up to our expectations and we plan to return for Christmas 2014.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am delighed to hear that you had a lovely Christmas with us. I have passed on your lovely comments to all concerned. I am so happy that you have decided to join us again this Christmas, we all look forward to welcoming you again.
Cumbria, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

We booked a last minute detox weekend and the stay was excellent from start to finish! We will definitely be back! I contacted the hotel and asked for a 2 night break and also asked that some spa treatments be booked for us during our stay. As we were detoxing and doing "dry January" we wanted the best possible treatments for this. The hotel and spa staff gave us excellent advice regarding best prices/packages so we booked with high expectations. We arrived on the Friday afternoon and I have to say that on first impression it doesn't look a very grand place - however inside the original hall is beautiful - and we had a lovely room overlooking the garden area. ( the only thing I would mention is that the room is not totally soundproof so we could hear some tv noises from the neighbouring rooms but nothing too loud!).
The room was very clean. We then had a facial each in the spa, followed by a dip in the outdoor jacuzzi under the stars - really nice and chilled! The meal in the lawns restaurant was very nice. The flavours were amazing and a really nice fine dining experience. Probably not for you if you are expecting larger portions! The next day after breakfast , which was really nice, we spent the morning in the pool, steam room and sauna and the 20m pool is just fantastic. Such a shame that the snow room was not up and running yet.
We then had a mud rasul and a massage in the spa. Again the spa staff were brilliant! Really made our stay enjoyable.
Another lovely meal in the lawns restaurant that evening where again, the staff couldn't do enough to help.
All in all a very nice stay, compliments must go to all staff in the reception, restaurant and spa as they really did go the extra mile.
Just one very small improvement that could be made.... The porridge and salmon/scrambled egg was delicious on Saturday morning so we were disappointed that this didn't seem to be on offer on the Sunday morning. It was more if a buffet style breakfast.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay with us. I have also passed on your lovely comments to all staff concerned. We all hope to see you again very soon.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Stayed in hotel with my husband, had great time, great service and
lovely helpful staff.We had eve meal and breakfast deal, good value for money, would stay again anytime.Enjoyed the spa facilities would recommend to everyone.

Room Tip: Breakfast and eve meal deal great value
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am delighed to to hear you thoroughly enjoyed your recent stay with us. I have passed on your comments to all staff conerned and we all hope to welcome you again soon.
UK
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Visited here in June 2013 to attend a wedding. The whole venue had been hired for the wedding.

Upon check in the staff looked blankly at me and told me I did not have a reservation, which was not true. They later found my reservation.

The room was ok. The room service was terrible.

The breakfast was very good. The spa was lovely with outdoor jacuzzis.

The hotel is overated but had a good time.

Unfortunately, upon leaving the hotel and stopping off at Cheshire Oaks, realised had probably left an item of clothing in the room. Telephoned the hotel and was told that they couldn't tell me if the item had been found as they hadn't cleaned the room yet and wouldn't send anyone to the room to check. Was simply told to wait and call back later.

Having then driven home, e-mailed the hotel to check if the item was found, expected them to offer to send it to me. Was met with a response that yes the item had been found but would have to pay for them to send it to me. They were not prepared to say how much postage and packaging would be until they packed and weighed it. If I wanted the item I simply had to give my credit card details and wait to be charged. In the end only a few pounds were charged to the card and the item of clothing arrived a short time later.

Considering how much the bridegroom paid to hire the place, I thought it was a bit rich charging to post the item to me. Even if it hadn't been a wedding I'd have expected a place boasting to be 4 star to offer such a service for the odd item left in rooms.

The room we stayed in was in an annexe which looked a bit council estate-ish from the outside.

Doubt would bother going back here. Looking at the standard prices, too overpriced for what it is.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ad_Reviewer2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We welcome all feedback as we beleive it is all valuable in reaching a high standard in guest experience both in terms of the products we offer and the service we provide.
Cornwall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

We got married here on 28/12/12, which in itself was the most amazing experience. Staff extremly helpful at all times and I am pleased to say going back to celebrate our wedding anniversary here also was a fab choice.. we stayed in our wedding room (room 2) which is my favourite room. Spa staff were fab and very helpful as where the restaurant staff. I Have allergies and the staff went above and beyond to ensure the meal was suitable. Hannah our waitress was fab. Couldn't recommend this hotel enough.I love it ♥

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
I am delighed to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your recent stay with us. Welcoming back such lovely guests is always a pleasure. I have also passed on your kind comments to Hannah in the restaurant.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We stayed late December and and hoped for a lovely weekend as we visited relatives & celebrated a family birthday. As a visitor of many low & high end hotels in various locations, I believe we paid too much, the room was basic room for a disabled person (not sure why a disabled shower has a TV in it as you would not be bale to relax and watch it stood up) (error in the planning of the rooms i suspect), the walk in shower was not safe as it had a step which the disabled person triped on. The lighting in the rooms was shocking and the lamp did not work.
The weekend that was suppose to be special ended up a disapointment. We arrived and an event was taking place and struggled to get a booking for an evening meal. The Restaurant was empty, but did not serve meals for normal dietry needs, just pretensious food, so we ate in the Lounge (a bar) when the office workers had gone to their low end ball. The meal was expensive £71 for 2 course meal for 3 (sausage and mash/fish & chips & brownie), we retired to our room as there was no incentive or atmosphere to stay. Breakfast was ok, the scrambled eggs were orange and off putting. We were vacated from the room at 10am as cleaners kept knocking wanting to get in, even though we had been told check out was 11? The spa 'ice chamber' advertised as open was not and did not look like it ever would as it looked like builders had been in and there was decorating debris & problems. For £250 I wished we had booked into Premier inn for £25 and had a better service. Never again!!

Room Tip: Go to premier inn at Heswall
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank L H
Thank you for your review. As with all of our Garden View Executive bedrooms we offer TV's in the bathroom as this is just one of our upgraded facilities available to guests. Bedrooms with disabled access also have large wet room which is specially equiped and does not have a step to enter. We also offer a selection of menus throughout the day and evening and cater for individual tastes and individual requirements. As a busy hotel we always strive to meet and exceed our guests expections and welcome all feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornton Hough
Leverhulme Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Port Sunlight
The Grove House Hotel and Restaurant
Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa

Been to Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!