“Lovely place but the little touches let it down”

Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thornton Hough
Chester
“Lovely place but the little touches let it down”
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Check in quick,staff very helpful.
THE ROOM
Room overlooking gardens and gazebo was nice with outside balcony. Maintenance outside balcony of room 320 required as paint peeling.
Good points about room was the bed HUGE and very comfy!
TV did not have sky sports but reception sorted some channels out although not all. Room did have both shower and TV in bathroom
One thing really letting room down was lack of fridge and basics such as complimentary bottled water.

AFTERNOON TEA
We had afternoon tea and summer cocktails at 2 on the lawns which was a lovely experience....the scones were fresh out of the oven and delicious!! The cocktails were great too. The service was pleasant and quick.
A problem with wasps which the hotel are working hard to address.
Get those gutters cleared though guys,seeing weeds growing in them is not a good look!

THE SPA
3.30 we headed to the spa for a his and hers massage and fascial which was very relaxing.
We really enjoyed the tranquility room,the outdoor hot tubs and sunbathing overlooking the fields. The swimming pool was lovely as was the jacuzzi.

THE FINE DINING
At 8.30 we ate in the restaurant,the same lady who had served us earlier in the day was working and was great.

For me,the meal was a let down and really nothing special or what I was expecting for three aa rosettes. I had tuna to start followed by veal with lobster,unfortunately neither blew me away. I had a cheese board and did enjoy that. My husband had soup and for main a steak,at £29 it was the most expensive,uninteresting sirloin steak ever!!

BREAKFAST
Service was quick and pleasant it was mid week and quiet.
Full English was just very standard and nothing special.

Summary
I would probably come here again for a spa experience but would not recommend it if you enjoy fabulous food,if I came again I would eat off site.
Hopefully the hotel will take on board some of the comments and fix the small maintenance issues and rooms really need fridges,water and air con.

• Stayed August 2014
Annie M, Guest Relations Manager at Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay. We take on board all comments and our Maintenance department have addressed the issues you have highlighted. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

My best friend just got married here, and the day was perfect from start to finish!

Lovely venue, fabulous food, beautiful gardens and good bar prices. Had one of the best days ever! We also stayed over afterwards, although we were not in the "main" hotel.
The room was a little further than expected from the main area, however didn't impact my night. Room had everything we needed to - provided great value for money!
The breakfast was good too (although toast took a little long to come - make sure you order that as soon as you go in!)

Book here for an event, or wedding,
Highly recommended, we all had a fabulous time!

Be warned - if you don't stay over, taxis are VERY difficult to get hold of to come to the venue! One friend was quoted a 3hr wait!
Blonde In The Big World

Room Tip: Ask to be in the "main" hotel
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank BlondeInTheBigWorld
Thank you for your wonderful review. We are so pleased you enjoyed your time with us.
Bebington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Our daughter and son in law held their wedding reception at Thornton Hall Hotel on 25/7/14, and from the moment this was booked until the day we checked out of the hotel, we cannot fault the service we received and the attention to detail, which was exemplary ...The wedding coordinators (Sam Bianca and the rest of the team) made sure that they had covered all bases.On the day of the wedding the service from the moment we arrived at the Torrintone suite was excellent, food was lovely and the day flowed perfectly. The transition of the room from the wedding breakfast to the evening reception was seemless.
We had 90 day time guests and around 200 guests in the evening.all of whom were catered for comfortably .
You always want your daughter wedding day to be perfect...and the venue and staff ensured that we truly had the "PERFECT" day..
Thank you Thornton Hall....

Room Tip: We stayed in room two..perfect...
1 Thank Janet J
Thank you very much for your amazing 5 star review. We are so thrilled you enjoyed your experience with us and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My daughter has just had her wedding day/evening (27/7/2014) here. From being met on arrival by Dave to going to bed, the whole experience was amazing.Even tying in with the wedding singer Howard Wing as to what he needed. The staff were so attentive and very helpful, the meal (breakfast) was second to none, this was followed by the buffet in the evening which was a barbeque style, again, nothing but compliments from all our guests. All the guests were made to feel welcome, as ive stated, the staff were great. The rooms our guests stayed in were well maintained and all said they had a great nights sleep. All in all, if you are looking for a wedding venue or even corporate event, i cannot recommend this place high enough. Thank you Thornton Hall and your staff for making my daughter and new son-in-laws day so memorable

2 Thank porksmore
Annie M, Guest Relations Manager at Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am delighed to read your wonderful comments regarding your daughter's wedding, it sounds like you all had an amazing day. I am sure that Dave and the team will very much appreciate your feedback.

Thank you once again for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

Kindest regards
London
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

We had our wedding at this venue and I can not thank the staff enough. They were all extremely friendly, very welcoming, completely professional and nothing was ever too much.

The venue was absolutely beautiful, and despite the rain the day was still magical.

A very big thank you to Jenny & all the events/reservations team for all their support, and for helping make our day so very special.

A very blessed happy couple,
Love Danny & Taz

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank tazrj
Annie M, Guest Relations Manager at Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review.

I am delighted to read your amazing comments and I will certainly pass them on to all the team. It sounds like you both had a wonderful day with us.

We all hope welcome you again in the future.

Kindest regards
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014

My wife and I were booked into Thornton Hall for a 2 night stay to order to attend the wedding of a relative. Having been booked in by the bride,s mother we were reticent to make a fuss regarding our disappointment at the room offered. The no smoking room offered was very dowdy with torn and lumpy furniture seating. Despite the designation of Non Smoking on the door the room had a very distinct odour of smoke and was generally in need of redecoration and new furniture.
In order to make our stay a pleasant experience we changed rooms at a cost of £40 upgrade which brought our room cost up to around £170 per room per night with breakfast. The hotel is definitely under staffed as later that evening it took about an hour and 20 minutes to be served with a Club Sandwich which when it it finally did arrive was excellent. Breakfast on the second day was fairly chaotic with staff requesting that we bear with them. Orders for breakfast made at the same time didn't.t arrive and had to be re-ordered with staff looking very hot and overworked.

Room Tip: Don't accept the first room offered but be prepared to pay for an upgrade. Preferably stay elsew...
3 Thank Geoffrey H
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I stayed at Thornton Hall as I was attending and staying over for my brother’s wedding. My partner and I stayed the night at Thornton Hall on 29/05/2014.

I arrived at Thornton Lodge on 28/05/14 as I was a bridesmaid for my brother’s wedding. After staying over in the hotel with the bridal party the night before the wedding, I was impressed by the standards of rooms. I had booked to stay over with my partner on the night of the wedding. When I checked in I was given a room next to the bridal suit. With it being the night of my brother’s wedding I don’t think that it was appropriate to be assigned a room that was directly next door to the bridal suit. My partner took this up with staff at the reception desk, in which they told him they couldn’t do anything about it as the hotel was full.

Still not satisfied by this I went to reception myself and spoke to a receptionist about the issue. I asked the receptionist if my sister’s room had defiantly been cancelled, as my sister was going to stay over with her husband and two boys, however an additional charge of £30.00 for the room made them reconsider taking the room. The receptionist told me that the room hadn’t been cancelled and that if my sister didn’t take the room she would be charged. My sister’s husband now came into the situation, quite angry as you can imagine and insisted that the room had been cancelled and that no payment had been paid so they couldn’t charge him. The receptionist then made a comment saying that the bride would be charged, on her wedding night, for the room if they didn’t stay. This was completely unacceptable.

After this ludicrous comment I was told that the hotel wouldn’t follow through with this action. The receptionist insisted that as there was now a room free we could take this room. Myself and my partner then had to move all our items from the top floor of the main building, outside and up another set of stairs to another building before reaching our room. No help was offered by the hotel with this transition. Upon entering the room I encountered even more problems. Having spent the night previous and having been shown my original room the standards did not compare at all. The room had not been updated like the previous rooms and as the room was the same price as our original room I felt that I had been cheated.

The next morning when returning to the room from breakfast I noticed a cigarette butt on the bed. Neither I nor my partner smoke so I don’t know how on earth it ended up in my bed. When we checked out we mentioned this to a young gentleman who was behind the reception desk. His response was “well it’s not like anyone’s gone into your room and smoked it.” This was the icing on the cake. There was no apology.

I am very disappointed with the attitudes from staff and the money that I have paid for a service that was unacceptable. My father also stayed over with his partner on the night of the wedding and having spoken to him about his stay he informed me that he had no hot water throughout his stay and was not given a wakeup call in the morning resulting in my father missing out on his breakfast in which he paid for.

I have contacted the hotel on 3 occasions and they have failed to respond.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first. SPA is amazing!!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Central Liverpool
30 James Street, Home of the Titanic
Village Hotel Wirral
#1 of 3 in Bromborough

Been to Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!