“Wonderful time at Thornton Hall”

Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thornton Hough
Orlando, Florida
“Wonderful time at Thornton Hall”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We were part of a group that stayed at Thornton Hall during The Open Championship at Hoylake. What a wonderful treat! The entire staff at Thornton Hall could not have been more professional and helpful. The food was wonderful and any request was easily handled. The room was always clean and the bed extremely comfortable. The Spa and workout facilities were excellent and I took some of the exercise classes which were great. Everyone at the Spa was always friendly and helpful. It was a great experience and we would stay again if for any reason we were in that part of the country.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Laura R
Annie M, Guest Relations Manager at Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Thank you for your excellent 5 star review. We had a great time during the Open Golf Championship welcoming you all. We hope to see you in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

My partner and I fancied a spa day so we searched the Internet and came across this place so I rang them and luckily they could fit us in as it was a last minute decision. The lady on the telephone was very helpful and rang straight back to confirm everything. When we got there we were taking through to the bistro where we enjoyed a hot drink while we filled in our health check forms. We were then given a bag with our robes towels and slippers in and showed around. The facilities are very clean and you have everything there you need they have two outdoor hot tubs which we spent the whole afternoon in as the sun was shining. There is a snow cave which is really good fun my only advice is wear your slippers when you go in as it is freezing. When it was time for our massages we went to reception and they took us in a buggy across to the lounge which is where the treatments take place. My massage was amazing. We had booked a time for our lunch and when we went in they had reserved a table for us. The staff are so helpful and friendly. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone and we shall definitely be returning. The whole day was just as it should be very relaxing and we never wanted it to end.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Emma1981xx
Thank you so much for your amazing 5 star review. We are so thrilled you had such a great experience with us. I agree the Snow Cave can get very chilly but it's a great addition to our amazing Spa. We hope you come again soon.
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Checked in to hotel only to find that there was no record of our reservation. After around 10 minutes waiting at the check in desk we were finally allocated an upgraded room in the annex next to the main hotel. The room was clean and modern but the bath was painfully slow to fill and the water temperature was what only could be described as lukewarm. The hotel had a nice bar where we had a drink and fish and chips off the bar menu. The food was of a good quality and reasonably priced. I have only given an average rating as I have stayed in hotels for similar money that have far exceeded this one. Our room was next to a couple having a heated domestic for most of the evening and with paper thin walls was much akin to an episode of eastenders. A bit behind the times and for the money was expecting something with a bit more wow..

Room Tip: Ask for one that that is not in the annex as the walls seems rather thin based on our experience.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Edward B
Thank your for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry to hear there was an issue with your reservation as I believe having looked into that the online booking system hadn't completed your booking an therefore hadn't made it into our system. I am however pleased your issue was rectified straight away. We hope to welcome you again soon.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We stayed here recently for a friends 40th birthday as a relaxing treat, 2 people on the overnight spa break and 2 people just booked in for spa treatments and dinner in the evening.
Firstly the room - very dark and old fashioned, in a block of rooms that resembled a section of Butlins/Pontins and were also across the car park so you didn't even feel as if you were staying at the hotel. Bathroom was nicely decorated with standard gilchrist and soames products, but there was no water in the room.
Spa - treatments were enjoyable and there was a nice little tranquility room to relax in afterwards, but to get to the swimming pool you had to go back through the reception area (and past the bistro and gym) in your gown and slippers... The two guests in our party, even though paying for full treatments were not allowed to use the swimming pool unless they paid a further £15?! From experience in other spa hotels if you book a full one hour + treatment you are usually allowed to relax at the pool afterwards.. This was very disappointing.
The outdoor hot tubs were the highlight of this spa experience and in better weather we would have spent a lot more time out here. It is a very nice touch and they had some comfortable seating around the tubs to relax/sunbathe on.
Lawns restaurant - we had our evening meal at the restaurant, which was nice and quite a formal affair. The vegetarian menu was limited but overall the food was of good standard and most of our party enjoyed the taste (one steak was quite fatty). Some confusion over the bill at the end, as 2 of us were on a packaged spa break with dinner included and the staff couldn't seem to separate a bill correctly between 4 people and this became quite embarrassing in the end...
Breakfast - this was again in the lawns restaurant with the buffet in the bar that you had to go out for. We ordered tea and toast then went through to pick up breakfast. There were 3 dirty tables which hadn't been cleared from the previous guests. A lot of the bowls/plates at the self service area were not clean. My friend got the full English (bacon was cold) I started with cereal, but by the time we got back to our tables and were sat for 5 minutes the waitress still hadn't brought our tea and toast out - she eventually did after I went to her to request again. It did come out just a few minutes later. I then went for a full English but ended up with just sausage, beans and mushroom as the breakfast trays had not replenished. The toast was rock hard and I ended up leaving the breakfast and just wanted to leave the hotel - usually we take a nice relaxing morning making the most of the hotel but we had no desire to stay any longer at this hotel. The receptionist did deduct the cost of breakfast which was very welcome. Thornton hall is nowhere near a four star spa hotel - if you are looking for a genuine four star spa hotel there are plenty of others in the northwest to choose from with much higher standards, better facilities, friendlier staff and nicer bedrooms.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank mini600
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are in fact a 4 star Hotel as rated by the AA. We take on board all comments and they have been passed to management for consideration.
Glasgow
Reviewed 14 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a spa break. It looked lovely in the photos and with it being advertised as a 4 star hotel we had reasonable expectations however we were really disappointed, and don't feel this is a 4 star hotel. I'd say 3* at most.
The little things like there not even being a bottle of water in the room. This is the first 4* hotel I have stayed in where this wasn't provided.
The main disappointment was the room. It was tired and shabby, and if I'm honest a bit grubby. It was also very dark. It had a tiny window and poor lighting - with some of the lamps not working, so that even in broad daylight it was dark and depressing.

As I am recovering from a lengthy illness I like to spend quite a bit of time relaxing in my room after the spa, but didn't feel I could do this here and we actually only stayed one night when we had booked 2.

Now for the positives....
The spa was good - in particular the outdoor hot tubs. The day we arrived was gorgeous and sunny and we enjoyed relaxing in the tub with a glass of prosecco. This was the highlight of our stay.

One thing I will say - before coming here I had read numerous reviews saying the staff were rude, unfriendly and unhelpful. However I found the opposite to be the case. Every member of staff we dealt with we're professional, friendly and helpful. Particularly in the spa, so if management is reading this, please pass these comments on to your staff. They have taken a beating on here which I feel is a bit unfair given my own experience.
Service was also good at breakfast and we were served with cheery pleasant staff.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jiylees
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We take on board all comments whether they be good or bad. I'm sorry to read you were disappointed with certain parts of your stay but I'm pleased to see you enjoyed our Spa.
Nuneaton
Reviewed 14 August 2014

We booked a room the night before we arrived as a last minute treat and we weren't disappointed. The spa was lovely and hotel very clean and comfortable but what made me write this review was the fantastic customer service we received all the staff were extremely polite and attentive they really are a credit to the hotel. As for the dinner we winced at splashing out over £100 for dinner but it was worth every penny absolutely lovely food cooked to perfection. If your looking for a relaxing break I would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed August 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review.
Reviewed 11 August 2014

A friend and I visited here for a spa day recently.
Upon booking, I originally wanted to book a CACI facial and a Back, neck & shoulder massage, and my friend wanted a full body massage. However, I was surprised to find out that if we were to book these treatments we would be unable to use the spa facilities, as access is only for those on spa package days. I was rather disappointed, as I didn't particularly want any of the treatments included in the spa packages. I specifically wanted to come to this spa as they did the CACI. In the end, we decided to choose a spa day that included a Rasul & a Back, Neck & Shoulder massage each, I would have booked extra treatments if there was more availability.
Upon arrival we were given a towel, robe & slippers, then shown around the spa.
The rasul was nice, lovely and clean and a nice size. It was a nice touch that you are given clean robes for afterwards. I was expecting to find the ESPA products used in the Rasul (marine mud, algae gel & pink hair and scalp mud) this was not the case, the muds used were just generic rasul muds.
The iced water & strawberries afterwards was also lovely, we were told we would receive sorbet afterwards but we didn't.
Our back, neck & shoulder massages were over in the 'Lodge' part of the spa, the little trip over there in the golf buggy was good fun. The Lodge part of the spa didn't seem as luxurious as the main spa, it felt as if we were in someone's house.
We both enjoyed our treatments, the therapist was friendly and the massage pressure was very good. There was a couple of things that could have improved our treatments though - if the treatment room had dim lighting, as it was bright, I found it difficult to relax, and I think the window may have been open, as throughout my massage all I could hear was cars driving past. Also, if the therapist had given aftercare advice and explained which massage oil she had used, as I may have been interested in buying something whilst I was there.
It would have been nice to have been shown the relaxation room, a friend of mine has been here and had her treatments in the main part of the spa, and also used the relaxation room, I'm not sure if weren't allowed to use it as our treatments were over in the lodge.
We really enjoyed our lunch, there was plenty of choice, it was nice to be able to have more than 1 course included in our package. The staff in the Times were all friendly and efficient.
We didn't particularly enjoy the facilities indoors, as there was a very unpleasant smell around the steam room & sauna area. We used the steam room but we think the smell was coming from there, as whilst in there it was stronger, some members were also complaining about the smell, so we didn't stay in there very long as it felt as if it hadn't been cleaned properly for a while.
The outdoor hot tubs were our favourite part, very clean, and the surroundings were beautiful. We loved the fact you could order wine or champagne from outside too. It almost felt as if we were on holiday.
Overall, we really enjoyed our day, there were a few minor details that could have been better but we would return. I would like to stay on my next visit, as I have read good reviews from people who have stayed. Thank you!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank missbrowneyes193
Thank you for your review. I have passed your comments to the Spa.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornton Hough
Leverhulme Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Port Sunlight
Central Liverpool
30 James Street, Home of the Titanic
Village Hotel Wirral
#1 of 3 in Bromborough
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,472 reviews

Been to Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!