6 people are viewing this hotel
Get rewarded with One Key
Vio.com
£95
2,841 results
All reviews lawns restaurant snow cave outdoor jacuzzi snow room afternoon tea cream tea steam room tapas evening meal from start to finish lovely hotel birthday treat relaxing stay my mum coffee machine car park scones
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 March 2024

I wouldn’t recommend as a spa getaway. To me the spa was over crowded and had a members only feel. Changing rooms were small and showers didn’t looks too clean. Hotel room was comfortable but nothing special

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 29 February 2024

The Hotel is Amazing. Staff are friendly, helpful and informative. Check was smooth. Rooms were clean. Spa was amazing and staff at The spa were just as good as the hotel staff. Everything explained to us. Enjoyed our afternoon using the spa facilities, swim, hot tub, steam room, snow cave.. pretty much gave everything a go. It was bliss. Then we taken over to the lodge in a golf buggy for our treatments we had booked. I had a 1 hour deep tissue booked, but on arrival was told we don't do that here, you'll have neck back and shoulders instead. Dissapointed and a bit confused. But went with it. Then it started... It hurt so much, that instead of relaxing I was tensing up. I did ask Georgina to ease up which she did a little. But she's very much a fan of using her elbows to apply and inflict as much pain as possible. At this point I was relieved not to have had the deep tissue massage and really hoping it would be over soon. Its took a week for my back to recover from the massage. I felt bruised. Waiting to go back to the spa with other ladies, we were all feeling a little uncomfortable rather than relaxed. (I have had massages at other places, so know they can be a little uncomfortable at times, but generally you feel relaxed after) anyway, back to the hotel the brassiere staff, again, couldn't be more helpful and friendly. Dinner in the Lawns was pricey, but worth it. We had steak and it was cooked to perfection. Waiting staff, friendly and jokey. Thoroughly enjoyable experience. Beds comfy, slept well. Breakfast, standard hotel breakfast, I had continental, my friend had cooked. No complaints at all. Check out was smooth, nice to have an 11am checkput, instead of rushing for 10am, bill was explained in detail, we had added quite a lot as everything was charged to the room. We even got a discount card for Cheshire oaks, when the reception lady heard that's where we were headed. I would definitely go back, but would avoid booking treatments at the lodge, I'd use the spa facilities and just relax.

Room tip: I'd recommend early check in to make the most of spa facilities, it gets busy after 3pm.
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 February 2024

The whole of our visit was so enjoyable and relaxing, from the location of the hotel and the grounds, all the staff from checking in and out were friendly, courteous, knowledgeable and well presented, nothing appeared to be any trouble to them and responded to all our needs during the visit. Dinner in the restaurant on the evening of our visit was in the beautiful Lawns Grill Restaurant and the standard and presentation of the food was perfect. As was breakfast the following morning, there was such an array and choice of foods, from cereals, fresh fruits, hot breakfast and pastries, such a lot to choose from. We will definitely be booking again

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Annie Myler, Guest Services / Front Office at Thornton Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2024

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review.

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent overnight stay with us.

From all the team at Thornton Hall we thank you for your review and we hope to see you again.

Kind regards

Annie Myler

Guest Services Manager

Reviewed 27 February 2024

Booked a last minute stay to unwind and relax, this visit turned out to be the cause of so much stress and dissappointment.

On arrival we saw lots of people heading to reception, we assumed was a wedding party. We went to check-in and said our room woud be ready shortly but we waited for a good while before we were seen. Whilst waiting in 'the quiet room' we could hear the rooms around us were packed with people.

When we finally got to our room it did not feel like a 4 star hotel. The walls were so thin and we could hear conversations from everyone around us. Could hear people's hairdryers, toilets flush and glasses clinking. We quickly got our swimming gear together and went to the spa in hope for some quiet...this was not the case.

The spa was absolutely rammed. There was nowhere to put robes or towels, there were kids running around and splashing people, the jacuzzis has people squeezed in. There were queues to get into the saunas and steam rooms. The noise was unbarable. I am disabled with noise sensitivties and this experience was very difficult. I was expecting a relaxing day and I left there feeling more stressed than when I arrived.

We got back to our room, got changed and went for dinner, hoping we could get away from the noise. The restaurant was empty which was well recieved after such noise. We were given our menus and to our dissappointment they were completely different to what we saw online. We have dietry requirements and chose this menu specifically because there was a good few choices for us to eat. The menu we had been given had 2-3 things that we could actually eat. At this point we were so fed up and angry and we left the restaurant. We went back to our room and it was still so loud, people banging and laughing. As it was a Saturday we could not find anywhere to eat so was forced to check out and just go home to cook for ourselves. The staff on the desk was super helpful and pointed us to another department for a refund and we left upset but feeling confident that we would get compensation for such a horrible visit.

This was not the case. The customer service representative was less than friendly and it very much felt like I was blamed for the food choices and said that the menu on the website was the same which it isn't as I have the menu saved on my phone of what we were expecting. I was told that it was my choice to leave so no refund will be in place so...I paid £229 to swim in the pool for 20minutes, go in an ice cave for 30 seconds and sit in a sauna for around 20minutes, and spend a total of an hour in a hotel room.

I have been forced to contact a legal team and my bank to discuss my options in getting my money back. After viewing some of the other negative feedback it looks like I am not alone with some of the issues we faced. So much for a relaxing weekend away.

Room tip: The spa gets extremely busy, don't go with the idea that it is a tranquil relaxing place to be because it's loud and uncomfortably cramped.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank JennCara
Reviewed 26 February 2024 via mobile

We got the Ultimate spa package and stayed in an Executive Garden view room, was a lovely stay, room was immaculate with a nice size balcony. We ate at the Terrace, the Lawns restaurant and the Brasserie, all the food was amazing, couldn’t fault it at all. The staff were really friendly and very helpful and the spa was lovely, facilities were great. We went for the couples full body hot lava stone massage and it was one of the best massages I’ve had, so relaxing. We’ll definitely be back soon!

Date of stay: February 2024
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review.

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent overnight stay with us.

Kind regards