“Great campground”
Review of Seawall Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Acadia National Park
Seawall Campground
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This is a great campground on the quiet (western) side of Mt Desert Island. It's about a 20-30 minute drive to the main sights on the eastern side of the island, or you can take the free shuttle bus in the summertime. I like to spend time hiking, swimming, and biking on the western side of the island away from the crowds.

The campground is run by the National Park Service and is very clean and quiet. The campsites are well spaced in Loop A with many trees in between. Bathrooms are tidy but no showers.

Prices are reasonable ($20/night + weekly park entry fee of $20 if you don't have a yearly park pass).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Greg W

Reviewed 21 December 2013

Stayed here twice - at a group site in 2011 with the Boy Scouts and at a walk-in site with my family in 2013.

Unlike the other park campground, this one is NOT in the thick of things, which I like. It's quiet, restful, and off the beaten path. While it might not be close to Thunder Hole or the park loop road, but it's in a great area. It's across from the Seawall Picnic area (we cooked dinner there every night, rather than haul our cook gear to camp) which is a beautiful place to cook a meal, enjoy the early evening, explore some tidal pools, and point at seagulls and say "dir-de" three thousand times (my son's recommendation). It's right around the corner from the Wonderland Trail, the Bass Harbor Lighthouse, and from lovely Southwest Harbor. We enjoyed our drives to further off attractions like Thunder Hole or the Schoodac Peninsula.

The walk-in sites can be a bit close together (our fire was slightly less enjoyable because of our neighbor's ten lanterns that were on all the time), but you cannot beat $14 a night, especially if you're on a budget like we are. The bathrooms were also cleaned and stocked. No showers at the campground, but there are pay showers at the store just before the park boundary.

The ranger campfire programs are awesome, don't miss them. I caught one my first time here on tidal pools, and two my second time here - photography in the park and hiking.

Staff were friendly and helpful.

8  Thank mikebickerson
Reviewed 9 October 2013

This is the first campground I have ever been and it is really good! I went it on labor day so it is fully booked, but still you cannot feel there were a lot of people. Personally speaking, this place is better than the blackwood since it has a better location extremely close to the sea, the best starry night ever! One sleeping bag is not enough so I wish I brought a mattress! The ground is just so cold and stone everywhere, it really hurts... But everything else is just perfect!

4  Thank Whisperintheair
Reviewed 12 September 2013

This campground has nice sites - though rather close together. The staff is functional and not friendly. The campground is in the National Park, but 35 minute drive to anywhere. I would recommend staying at one of the campgrounds closer to Bar Harbor as that is where you get the scenic drive, hiking, thunder hole, etc...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cjd
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have been vacationing in Maine almost every year for my entire life -- our family has always loved staying at Seawall Campground. While it is a "no frills" kind of place, the views and price cannot be beat, and it is always a plus to be supporting the National Park Service. There are sites for all...tents in A and B loop, space for RVs in C loop, and walk-in tent sites for the true naturalists in D loop. While many of the sites are close together, a lot depends on your set up and most neighbors are courteous and obey the "quiet hours" rule; the sites are actually much better spaced than in many of the private campgrounds on the island. There are no showers, but the bathrooms were renovated several years ago and are clean and well maintained. Another plus of staying at a National Park campground is that they offer nightly ranger-led programs in the amphitheater on a range of topics -- from park history to what you'll find in a tide pool, there is something for everyone to learn and is kid-friendly. And of course, Seawall Campground is just across the street from Seawall itself -- a treasure of the Park not to be missed!

Room Tip: It all depends on what kind of camping you do, ie, RVs are in C loop, walk-in tent sites in D, with...
7  Thank LynnJ22
Reviewed 2 September 2013

The campground is very pretty! I have camped a ton and I have never seen such pretty views. We loved this campground, it just had a few minor flaws in our opinion. We had a non electric tent site in the D loop (14$ for us). If you have never been here be prepared to carry stuff in! We didnt carry back very much of our stuff because it was a long walk to the site we had. Make sure to bring a donkey or a wagon! There were a few wheelbarrows for use but so many other people were using them.

I guess it is the thing in Maine to have gravel tent sites? I have never heard of this. Thankfully this was the first time ever camping with an air mattress! Without it we wouldn't have been able to sleep. The gravel made it difficult to get the tent stakes in as well.

No showers at the campground was not an issue since there are pay showers down the street. I found it annoying that they had no soap in the bathrooms. Charge me $0.50 more and get some soap! The picnic area that is across the road from the main campground has a bathroom with soap and paper-towels, why doesn't the campground?

All in all very good. I cant say I will be back though.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank R M
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

this campground is good if you are on a budget and staying on the island for more then two nights it is located onsouthern side of the main tourist attractions. you do get to travel through the beautiful towns of Southwest Harbor and somesville. the campsites are relatively very close to each other my last night there I had trouble sleeping due to some rude partying students. but for $14 a night you will attract anyonebut on a rainy foggy day which can be common there are relatively few close things to do Bar Harbor and the park Loop Road are 30 minutes from the campground.

• Stayed: August 2013
Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center
Bar Harbor Grand Hotel
Bar Harbor Grand Hotel
#6 of 41 in Bar Harbor

Been to Seawall Campground? Share your experiences!