“Ruby's Horseback Adventures”

Ruby's Horseback Adventures
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy the historic Utah countryside on horseback with Ruby's Horseback Adventures. We offer guided horseback tours along the rim of Bryce Canyon National Park and Red Canyon. Enjoy the gorgeous scenery and terrain, complete with red rock formations, "Hoodoos", and ponderosa pine trees. We offer a variety of rides designed to fit the needs of any customer. We offer half day, all day, and adventurous rides for more experienced riders. Enjoy the Wild West in its purest form, and take a ride with us at Ruby's Horseback Adventures today!
Reviewed 7 October 2013

It was our first time riding a horse . My wife and i bought a short, 1.5 hr trip which was scheduled at 3.30 pm. We were happy that there was no one besides us and we could receive a kind of "private" trip for such money. But our happiness didn't last long... The horses were calm and enough responsive, the view of Bryce Canyon spectacular but the cowboy, who hosted this trip was absolutely useless as a guide. This gentlemen stated he's been working more than 4 years at Ruby's Horseback but we couldn't believe how incompetent he was in regards of the history of Bryce Canyon, historical evidences of that place. He didn't know any of the mountain names that we could observe from the trail. We tried to question couple times about the tribe of native Americans who inhabited these territories, their culture and the way of life of those people, geological features of the Bryce Canyon - none of those questions he could answer. He was so incompetent with lack of guiding skills, that our trip was boring and my wife was very disappointed. In general, we experienced the greatness of the North Rim of Bryce Canyon riding a horse as our ancestors. In my opinion, the guide could've learned at least something for 4 years and did not disgrace himself and the business. Please have some protection for your photo equipment, it's very dusty during the horse ride.

2  Thank Benderusa

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Thunder mountain horse back ride was the most spectacular ride my husband and I have ever done!! Red canyon is beautiful and you can see Bryce from where we were. We have been to many places and enjoy all our rides but the views on this 3-4 hours ride were something else. Our wrangler Jared was a very nice young man and very accommodating having to adjust my saddle a few times as I tended to lean to the left on this switchback trail. Not for the faint hearted, must admit I was scared but it was well worth it.

3  Thank Diane B
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Unfortuantely, I weigh ove 220 lbs. (100kg) so I was over the limit for the concessionaire in Bryce Canyon NP. Ruby's has a higher weight limit so we went with them. Ruby's uses the Red Canyon area about 15 minutes west of Bryce. Very scenic area, but it's not Bryce canyon.

The trail guides and drivers are mostly cowboys who perform in the rodeo at Ruby's from May-Sept. Make no mistake, they are there to be cowboys, not trail guides and van drivers. The attitude ranges from bored to moderately friendly. The horses were in decent shape, well broken in and a bit tired. We had 2 young ladies from Germany in our group- first time on a horse, no problem.

Main downside is that this place rarely answers the phone if you have specific questions.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

I signed up for the 1.5 hr ride with Ruby's to get a view of the north side of Bryce Canyon (and also for the experience). All in all, I can say I had a good time - though it could definitely be improved. The horses were calm and responsive and as someone who rarely rides, I never once felt uneasy. The route had a mix of uphill and downhill areas and the view of the north rim was worth it. The wrangler always had an eye on the riders and kept checking on us every now and then. They also took a picture of each rider during the ride which was provided at no charge, unlike other places which try to sell you the picture as an extra. One thing that they can do to improve the ride is to have 1-2 stops to allow everyone to talk with the wrangler and maybe take some pics.

3  Thank NemoNik
Reviewed 11 April 2013

We were signed up for a 4-hour intermediate-advanced level trail ride. We called and left a msg three days before to confirm because the weather was looking poorly. The call was never returned. The morning of the ride, we called again just to make sure the ride was to occur and to confirm the details. We arrived and the ride seemed to be going as scheduled (albeit rather slow). Just over an hour into the ride, we noticed we were back near the starting point after a simple walk-trot ride. They did not put us on the 4-hour ride, but on the 1-1/2 hr ride instead. Why didn't anyone check before putting us on the trail about which ride we had paid for? That could have been taken care of in less than a couple seconds, making everyone happy.

The money was refunded, but there is a big problem with management of this outfit. Be careful and confirm everything before your ride and maybe a couple more times before you jump on the horse.

Also, for the safety of beginners, you should bring some kind of helmet along. None are offered at the stable, and it's a long fall off of a horse, even if the horse is only walking.

6  Thank JayKayCA