Canyonlands Needles Outpost
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Canyonlands National Park
See available hotels
  • Breakfast included
Big Horn Lodge(Moab)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsneedles outpostnew ownerstwo nightsvisitor centerkeep in mindtent sitesamazing placecamp storeprivate campgroundfriendly managementblown awaynp entrancethe east coastreturn againan amazing viewremote placehot water and good pressure
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 May 2014

There are not a lot of camping options in the Needles District. The National Park campsite is often full and does not take reservations. The nearby BLM sites are primative, remote, and have no water or other facilities. The Outpost has water, clean toilettes, and warm showers.There is a small store in case you forgot something crucial. The landscape is beautiful. We arrived in the middle of an unseasonable downpour that was causing flooding. The owners, Gary and Tracy, made sure we had a dry spot that was sheltered from the flashfloods. When it was time to leave, one of our cars had a dead battery. Gary cheerfully checked out the battery, gave us a jump, and we were on our way. I found Gary and Tracy to be friendly, welcoming, and helpful. The Outpost is a remote, no-frills desert camp, and in that category,where shelter and safety matter most, it is an excellent choice.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Wilbur S
Reviewed 21 May 2014

My friend has been doing a dirt bike ride from Moab up to this outpost for many years, and I went along for the second time this May. We know the drill on approaching slowly, so we did. That didn't help. When we entered the outpost, all the lunch stools and chairs were turned over and only Tracy was inside, no Gary to be seen. Uh Oh. When we inquired about the lunch we'd been counting on after a hard ride, we got a long diatribe from Tracy on how busy her husband was, the important things he had to do, he couldn't be making us lunch now could he, etc.? No chance she'd be cooking us expletives anything. So our only option was the $15 dollar charge for a box of crackers, hunk of cheese and two sodas. As we started shopping and heading up to pay, we got a long and expletive-ridden ear bashing about how we raced up to the outpost, she doesn't like us expletives, then waited for her money. So we sat outside on the picnic table. We did see Gary driving the water truck, and after many years visiting, my friend really enjoys chatting with Gary who's usually working the grill, so he walked over to the road and chatted with Gary for maybe 5 minutes while I waited on the picnic table. Tracy came outside, and without me needing to turn around, gave me a lecture on how my expletive friend was interrupting her husband, he knew her husband had a lot of work to do, that expletive was keeping him from his work, then thankfully the door closed and I didn't see her again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
13  Thank Brad S
Reviewed 11 May 2014

This place is great, clean sites spaced out nicely, nice bathrooms and fire-rings. It is located just 1-2 miles from the needles entrance to Canyonlands in gorgeous scenery. I had read the reviews about the proprietor so I knew what to expect. We were arriving after 8:00 PM and the proprietor told us to call if we would be arriving after this time, so we did, she informed us that she would be around when we arrived and to come on back to the house. Upon arrival just after 8:00 no-one was at the restaurant/shop so we headed back to the house hesitantly, when we got back there Tracy seemed shocked/appalled that we would come back to the "private residence," angrily inquiring why we had not seen the note she had left, but after it was evident that we were the patrons she had recently talked to on the phone, and were juts confused, she immediately changed her demeanor, and was very friendly. We went back to the restaurant/shop, and there was indeed a small hastily scribbled note posted to the inside of the window that had my name and the site we were assigned to scribbled on it. After this initial interaction our stay was absolutely fantastic, we sat and drank wine by our campfire under the desert stars. The next morning Tracy even gave us butter to cook our eggs with. I would recommend a short stay here, just be respectful and know what to expect and you will be fine, if you can put up with a little uncertainty, the sites are great especially for the price.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank zachbrower
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Long story short, after spending the night, when I went in to pay for camping and firewood, I had a (hopefully) once in a lifetime incident. Immediately upon entering the building and stating that I needed to pay, the proprietor attempted to grab all my money from my hand (I needed change). I did not let go and she proceed to curse at me and then backhanded me across the face. Yes-she actually hit me! She then followed us and tried to enter our truck; I need to throw money away from the vehicle so we could get out of the situation. Police and the rangers strongly encouraged and wanted me to file assault charges. Apparently, they need a paper trail for her escalating behavior and suspect drug use is involved. I chose not to file the charge.

Overall, I would love if reading this encourages you to stay elsewhere. There are some beautiful options on forest service or BLM land if you can't get into a spot in the park. If you do choose to stay here, I would strongly recommend coming after hours and leaving before, just pay through the slot on the door to avoid any engagement with the people who run it. If something does occur-don't let it ruin your trip as we still had a blast in Canyonlands!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
16  Thank 795Jen
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This is our third time camping at Needles Outpost. We were a party of 8 in group site.We ate breakfast at store and had the best "Gary" omelets ever!!!!The hosts could not have been better. We all got a big "hug" upon arrival(and departure). The shower/bathrooms were spotless.Tracy even made a birthday cake complete with candles for one in our party.We plan to go back next year. if THE HOSTS are very busy(like when 8 people walk in at once for breakfast) they may not be as sociable as when there is slower time.We sincerely hope they will be there next year as they invested 18 years of their life there. Linda and John Prentice, Driggs, Idaho

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends