“Great View, Good Food”

Crater Lake Lodge Dining Room
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Local cuisine, Romantic, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Los Angeles, California
“Great View, Good Food”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My son and I have eaten at many national park lodge dining rooms, and this is pretty typical. The view is to die for. The food is good, but not a standout, and ridiculously overpriced. $35 for 2 lambchops and a scoop of mashed potatoes and $13 for ONE crabcake! You are definitely paying for the experience. The service was very good. One of my lambchops had a bit too much fat on it and I brought it to the waiter's attention. He agreed with me and apologized and brought me out another lambchop. A tip for people who want a table with a view: make your reservation at least one month in advance for the time when the restaurant first opens (you have to like to eat early.) Get there a few minutes early. We have done this at many national park lodge dining rooms, and we have never failed to get a seat with a view.

• Visited July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Farmington, New Mexico
“Lovely for lunch with a beautiful view!”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed lunch at a table by the window.....lovely.....view and the food. Since lunch reservations are not accepted, we arrive a bit before the dining room opened, and were seated promptly. The service was good and the menu provided a nice selection. The glass of Oregon wine....Pinot Gris by Eola Cellars....was perfect with the Brie, Apple and walnut sandwich I had. The dinner menu looked a bit expensive and reservations somewhat hard to get, but lunch was affordable, especially considering the amazing view and charming decor. I understand they serve dessert on the patio, so that would be a delicious alternative.

Visited July 2014
Richmond, Canada
“Average food, high prices, slow service”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

The good - beautiful setting, interior was lovely, hostess (manager?) was great.

The not so good - Our family enjoying eating at nice restaurants regularly and we were definitely disappointed by both the food and service. But the service was much faster from the waiters serving the tables on either side of us, so I think we were just unlucky. The elk was extremely gamey even though our server specifically assured us that it was not gamey at all and very tender. We only managed to eat one of the 3 chops at $42. The New York steak was barely edible. The mussels, dessert and wine were ok.

Being in the park, there is really no other choice for dinner. Keep your expectations low and you should be fine.

Olympia, Washington
“Wonderfully Restored”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Traveling from Bend, OR to Ashland, OR, we decided to drive through Crater Lake National Park. While the scenery is beautiful, we had never eaten at the Lodge. Typically eateries in the National Parks are overpriced and lacking in good food. Not here! The salad with Huckleberry dressing and chicken was excellant and reasonably priced. Serving staff was friendly and attentive. And of course there is the view from the patio.

1 Thank hrgeek
Oregon
“Great food and perfect atmosphere”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I read on Yelp that the food was overpriced and low quality, but I found the opposite to be true. The entrees ranged from $26 (chicken or vegetarian) on up to $40 for the steak. I had the duck ($32), and though I was told I couldn't get it cooked to order (medium rare), it was well cooked and plenty of food. The service was very good, better than most similarly priced restaurants. Corkage is $15, so I recommend bringing your own bottle of wine since they have a very limited wine list (mostly common supermarket wines). As a whole, the lodge and the restaurant are certainly spendy (lodging was $220 a night), but well maintained with obviously stunning views and excellent service. You are there for the location, but the hotel and restaurant are well managed and worth every penny.

1 Thank Dar Sigfusson