Panamint Springs Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Stovepipe Wells Village Hotel(Death Valley National Park)
  • Pool
The Ranch at Death Valley(Death Valley National Park)
  • Pool
Ranch Motel(Olancha)
Portal Motel(Lone Pine)
View Hotel
The Inn at Death Valley(Death Valley National Park)
Comfort Inn(Lone Pine)
View Hotel
All reviewsbeer selectiondarwin fallstent cabinspizzarestaurant barfull hookupslong drivemilky wayrooms are basicexploring death valleynational parkdesertballaratsolitudedvwildernesssignal
Reviewed 14 February 2007

If you are looking for a pet-friendly hotel in the Death Valley, your options are limited to either the Panamint Springs Resort or the Stovepipe Wells Village Motel, unless you are camping, of course. The Panamint Springs Resort is located on the far West side of the park, while Stovepipe Wells is on the north side, but decidedly more centrally located to the major attractions. After reading mixed reviews on both Panamint and Stovepipe, we decided to stay one night at each and take our chances that at least one of the two would be okay. I’m normally a camper so I consider my hotel standards a little more flexible than most travelers and can tolerate roughing it rather well. So, here’s the skinny on the Panamint Springs Resort. The rooms are in desperate need of a complete overhaul. We stayed in Room 11 and it was disgusting. First of all, the bathroom reeked of mildew. The carpet in the bathroom (yes, carpet – no tile) was wet around the toilet and around the sink. There obviously was a leak in both areas. The shower (no tub for the kiddies) walls were falling apart and the paint was peeling terribly. I was almost scared to take a shower for fear I might catch some sort of foot fungus or other nasty bug. We paid extra for a double bed room so we’d have floor space for our inflatable toddler bed and dog’s bed. Neither would fit so the dog had to sleep in the closet and our son with me. As the other reviews mention, there is no television or telephone in the room. There isn’t a hairdryer either. Lack of these amenities was inconsequential, but for $107 you’d sort of expect a room that is clean, doesn’t smell musky and is renovated. The food at the restaurant was actually pretty good. Dinner and breakfast were both pretty tasty; however, very expensive and the service can be slow. For example, breakfast cost us $30 for my husband, me and my son and we waited 45 minutes to get our order. My yogurt and fresh fruit plate cost $11.95. A similar dish at the Stovepipe Wells restaurant was only $6.95. I guess they charge so much (for the food and the room) because they can. There are no other hotels or restaurants close by. There were a few redeeming qualities of the Panamint Springs Resort. The bar has 81 different beers and one of the hosts, Rosemary, was very accommodating and personable. Additionally, if you are looking for natural beauty and solitude, you’ll find it here. The only facilities around are the hotel, restaurant, campground and a gas station. If I’d have to do it all again…I would go see all the West side attractions the park has to offer and then swing by the Panamint Springs Resort for lunch and a beer. The wrap around porch and lounge chairs in the small yard would be a great place to hang out and have a drink. I certainly would not stay the night. Spend your $100 at the Stovepipe Wells Motel. (Note – that hotel has a few issues too, but it is certainly the far better choice for those traveling with pets.)

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with family
10  Thank metar28
Reviewed 13 February 2007

Stayed there almost a year ago as part of a multiple day trip to Death Valley. We arrived around dinner after driving from L.A. and though the selection was not huge, the food was quite good and plentiful.
Our room was not huge and was what one could call "rustic", but it was clean. The shower was not "superflow" but was acceptable. For the price and considering the remote locale we thought we were getting our money's worth. Breakfast the next morning was plentiful and tasty! The cook and the co-owner kept the coffee coming too! There is an interesting collection of area photographs from some reasonably well-known photographers on the walls of the dining lodge, too. The folks there also have a lot of friendly and good tips/suggestions on D Valley hikes that go beyond what you will get in most tourbooks or websites. They turned us on to a particular hike at Panamint Dunes which we enjoyed. That morning, however, we went on a great hike to Darwin Falls, which is a short drive from the resort. After 3 days in Death Valley we returned here for breakfast on our way back to L.A. because it was that good.

Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank DesertUnsolitaire
Reviewed 25 January 2007

This place is a great little desert oasis in the Panamint Valley. They have cottages to stay in, a restaurant and a small store. The porch is a great place to relax and talk with friends or meet new people. Around, on one side of the main building is a nice barbeque and a large area which can accomodate alot of folks. The campground has RV and tent spots. There is also a gas station- a very important attribute for the desert traveller! This place will be my base camp for all my future visits to the Death Valley / Panamint Valley regions. If you're a city-slicker, PSR may seem a little rough around the edges, but if your a real desert traveler, it's a welcome sight. -

Stayed: October 2006
3  Thank Jeep4wd
Reviewed 10 January 2007

Don't expect great accomodations or extras like phone in the room or a TV. But if you're into experiencing Death Valley and want to be on the west side of the park, this is a great place. Now there was an ownership change in March 2005 and when I was there, I found the owners and workers there very nice and accomodating.

The room was clean and provided what I needed; a bed for the night. Restaurant food was good and reasonably priced.

And really there are a lot of wonderful sights near Panamint Springs that makes staying here a good idea in order to enjoy the west side of the park.

Darwin Falls are close by
Panamint Dunes are a short drive
Ballarat Ghost Town is a short drive

The new owners are in the process of remodeling and improving the place.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank sacking
Reviewed 3 January 2007

We stayed at the Panamint with a group of friends, and had a great time. One should not come here planning on luxury, it's pretty much a desert outpost. Our room was fine, the shower was weak with a mysterious wood-plank floor and the beds were cheap, but it was acceptable overall. We had a decent, but overpriced, dinner and a delicious breakfast, as well as wonderfully strong cocktails at the beautiful wood bar. However, the cocktail license is seasonal, so sometimes they only serve wine and beer (but have a good selection of both).

The primary things to recommend the Panamint are the location and the staff. Death Valley is gorgeous and it's a scenic day trip to sand dunes, lookout points, the Furnace Creek compound, etc. The staff were very friendly and easygoing, and while not exactly Hotel Service Professionals, they gave it a feeling of staying at a friend's place.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with friends