“Run Away! Do not stay at this hotel.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Death Valley National Park
Panamint Springs Resort
Monrovia, CA
“Run Away! Do not stay at this hotel.”
Reviewed 10 April 2007

First, let me say that I have stayed at some very "eclectic" hotels and generally enjoy them as long as they deliver the basics (bed, shower, etc.). My parents and I went into this place, trying to laugh off how bad the amenities were, but eventually enough was enough. This is undoubtedly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The floor was cheap indoor outdoor carpet glued over broken, cracked concrete so I was terrified that my 78 year old parents were going to trip over the cracks. The single available outlet in the room had no cover and exposed wires. The matresses were prehistoric, had no support, and creaked with every movement. You had to crawl under the bathroom sink to lift the sink plunger. And to make our stay more perfect, the next morning there was no hot water for the morning shower! The room had no phone or TV, but more incredibly when I asked for a public phone (there is no cell reception there) the hotel said they had none to use and I had to drive 20 minutes away to a visitor center to use one. Of course I used it to find another room anywhere else for the second night. The hotel refused to let me out of the second night payment, but the room was so decrepid that we left anyway and found a very comfortable hotel in Stovepipe Wells for about the same price, with great amenities (nice restaurant & pool) and twice as close to the park (Panamint Springs is about an hour drive into any major part of the park). If this is the only hotel left, I suggest you pick a different travel date to Death Valley.

• Liked — Leaving the hotel
  • Disliked — No upkeep of the room or amenities (shower, bed, curtains, floor, etc.)
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank MonroviaKid

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Riverside, California
Reviewed 7 April 2007

Well, everything that has been said about this place is true. However, here is a certain charm about staying in such a lodge in such a place. It is truly out in nowhere. Death Valley's unique beauty lies in its extreme geography. It is quite fitting to stay in an extremely humble lodge that has no other qualities except that it has a roof, a working toilet and a shower. We stayed one night with two small children & a dog and it was quite comfortable. Having read the reviews, we were not expecting a Hilton. The food, as everyone has said, is very good, especially the COFFEE. I give 2 stars, objectively. However, my memory of Death Valley will always be tied to this primitive & unpretentious little lodge.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled with family
6 Thank attymom

Travellers are raving about these Death Valley National Park hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 4 March 2007

This site is very basic, a bed, a shower, and a place to sleep. The room was in need of some repairs and paint but was sleepable. If your standards are high do NOT stay here. Rooms are noisy, the walls are VERY Thin.The location is handy as a first or last night for Death Valley but at the west end it is out of the the way for the main sites you will want to see, so if you have time keep driving to the motels more in the interior. It is hike to get to what you want to see from this location.

restaurant is friendly but service is erratic, but it has a charm which makes any shortcomings of service forgiveable.

• Liked — Friendly
  • Disliked — Needs work
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank OntarioCanuck1
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 15 February 2007

I booked this hotel based on the descriptions and photos on their web site. When my wife and I pulled up to the property, we couldn't believe how small the "lodge" was. The landscaping was in sorry need of attention.

We then discovered our rooms were actually small cubicles (actually a room with a bed and another small room which was the bathroom) that were part of an arc of rooms behind the "lodge". Reminded me of the old fashioned motels you see once in a while in small towns.

No TV. Limited electrical in rooms. Paper-thin walls. We could hear everything that was going on in the rooms on either side of ours. Puts a crimp on romance.

Food in lodge was OK although seemed pretty pricey(what do you expect...no competition).

In Death Valley you really have on 3 choices in lodging. I don't think this property should be included in your list.

• Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
11 Thank don9290
Middletown, New York
Reviewed 14 February 2007

If you are looking for a pet-friendly hotel in the Death Valley, your options are limited to either the Panamint Springs Resort or the Stovepipe Wells Village Motel, unless you are camping, of course. The Panamint Springs Resort is located on the far West side of the park, while Stovepipe Wells is on the north side, but decidedly more centrally located to the major attractions. After reading mixed reviews on both Panamint and Stovepipe, we decided to stay one night at each and take our chances that at least one of the two would be okay. I’m normally a camper so I consider my hotel standards a little more flexible than most travelers and can tolerate roughing it rather well. So, here’s the skinny on the Panamint Springs Resort. The rooms are in desperate need of a complete overhaul. We stayed in Room 11 and it was disgusting. First of all, the bathroom reeked of mildew. The carpet in the bathroom (yes, carpet – no tile) was wet around the toilet and around the sink. There obviously was a leak in both areas. The shower (no tub for the kiddies) walls were falling apart and the paint was peeling terribly. I was almost scared to take a shower for fear I might catch some sort of foot fungus or other nasty bug. We paid extra for a double bed room so we’d have floor space for our inflatable toddler bed and dog’s bed. Neither would fit so the dog had to sleep in the closet and our son with me. As the other reviews mention, there is no television or telephone in the room. There isn’t a hairdryer either. Lack of these amenities was inconsequential, but for $107 you’d sort of expect a room that is clean, doesn’t smell musky and is renovated. The food at the restaurant was actually pretty good. Dinner and breakfast were both pretty tasty; however, very expensive and the service can be slow. For example, breakfast cost us $30 for my husband, me and my son and we waited 45 minutes to get our order. My yogurt and fresh fruit plate cost $11.95. A similar dish at the Stovepipe Wells restaurant was only $6.95. I guess they charge so much (for the food and the room) because they can. There are no other hotels or restaurants close by. There were a few redeeming qualities of the Panamint Springs Resort. The bar has 81 different beers and one of the hosts, Rosemary, was very accommodating and personable. Additionally, if you are looking for natural beauty and solitude, you’ll find it here. The only facilities around are the hotel, restaurant, campground and a gas station. If I’d have to do it all again…I would go see all the West side attractions the park has to offer and then swing by the Panamint Springs Resort for lunch and a beer. The wrap around porch and lounge chairs in the small yard would be a great place to hang out and have a drink. I certainly would not stay the night. Spend your $100 at the Stovepipe Wells Motel. (Note – that hotel has a few issues too, but it is certainly the far better choice for those traveling with pets.)

• Liked — Variety of beer available
  • Disliked — Room needed a COMPLETE overhaul
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank metar28
Pittsburgh PA
Reviewed 13 February 2007

Stayed there almost a year ago as part of a multiple day trip to Death Valley. We arrived around dinner after driving from L.A. and though the selection was not huge, the food was quite good and plentiful.
Our room was not huge and was what one could call "rustic", but it was clean. The shower was not "superflow" but was acceptable. For the price and considering the remote locale we thought we were getting our money's worth. Breakfast the next morning was plentiful and tasty! The cook and the co-owner kept the coffee coming too! There is an interesting collection of area photographs from some reasonably well-known photographers on the walls of the dining lodge, too. The folks there also have a lot of friendly and good tips/suggestions on D Valley hikes that go beyond what you will get in most tourbooks or websites. They turned us on to a particular hike at Panamint Dunes which we enjoyed. That morning, however, we went on a great hike to Darwin Falls, which is a short drive from the resort. After 3 days in Death Valley we returned here for breakfast on our way back to L.A. because it was that good.

Stayed March 2006
4 Thank DesertUnsolitaire
Oregon
Reviewed 25 January 2007

This place is a great little desert oasis in the Panamint Valley. They have cottages to stay in, a restaurant and a small store. The porch is a great place to relax and talk with friends or meet new people. Around, on one side of the main building is a nice barbeque and a large area which can accomodate alot of folks. The campground has RV and tent spots. There is also a gas station- a very important attribute for the desert traveller! This place will be my base camp for all my future visits to the Death Valley / Panamint Valley regions. If you're a city-slicker, PSR may seem a little rough around the edges, but if your a real desert traveler, it's a welcome sight. -

Stayed October 2006
3 Thank Jeep4wd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Death Valley National Park
Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch Resort
Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch Reso...
#2 of 3 in Death Valley National Park
#1 of 3 in Death Valley National Park
The Ranch at Furnace Creek
The Ranch at Furnace Creek
#2 of 7 in Death Valley National Park

Been to Panamint Springs Resort? Share your experiences!