“One night is enough”

Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch Resort
england
“One night is enough”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

After a long days travelling and getting into Death Valley whilst it was pitch black, reception staff were helpful in checking us in. The welcome at this time was the pool that was open till late, and needed to cool down. Now for me a one night stay is more than sufficient. I used one of the restaurants for a take out and ordered a bowl of chilli, however didn't expect it to come in a plastic coffee cup. The rooms were we're fairly basic, but did have air condition which is well needed.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here on our way from Las Vegas through to Yosemite. Given the location, you can't complain about the accommodation. The rooms were very clean and the air conditioning worked great. The location is very central to all the popular sights to drive to and the bar and restaurant at the end of the day is a great end to the day. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. I would use it as a stop of point for one night only if you're planning a trip as while it's an interesting place, it's not somewhere you want to stay for too long unless you're really into rocks and blistering heat.

Word of warning, if you need the toilet, wait until you get to your room back at the Ranch, as opening the door to one of those public toilets on the side of the road is like opening the door to Satan's den. I watched my wife's knees buckle as she cracked the door before turning away quickly. Being somewhat interested in what could cause such a reaction, I approached and was confronted with something I've never experienced before. In fact I think I heard a demonic voice willing me to enter, and a head rotating in the darkness, but I couldn't be sure as my eyes were watering too much. Just hold on, or find a bush that is taller than 6 inches..!!

Overall it's a really good place to stop off on your way through and given its location, you can't complain. If you're from a country which doesn't have extreme heat, make sure you drink plenty of water and wear a hat because this place is hot and you will lose fluids without knowing it. Beer doesn't replace fluids either..

Room Tip: All rooms are in a good location, away from the road and noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
The Hague, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

We, family of four, stayed for one night at the ranch. Staff were generally friendly, at check in and in the restaurant. Our rooms were ok, maybe a bit outdated, but large and clean. And the air condition was strong, maybe a bit loud, but keeps the room cool, also in the July heat.
The location of the hotel is excellent, in the middle of the Death Valley, with all of its sights nearby.
We enjoyed the pool, helped us to cool off in the heat of July.
My only complaint would be that the prices, especially in the restaurants and the shop are high - but you are in the middle of the desert and there are hardly any alternatives.
Tip: Look at the stars in the night, there is a beautiful dark sky

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

After a 7 hour drive from Yosemite, through Death Valley, Furnace Creek is a welcome oasis. I imagine that most visitors are over nighters on the way to sin city, therefore some niceties like a cold one on arrival would be very welcome. Unfortunately the bar doesn't open bar until 7 pm, however you are invited to drive down to the sister resort the Furnace Creek Ranch, less than a mile away, to quench your thirst but if we wanted to do that perhaps we would have booked there?
The Inn is a pleasant establishment but suffers from lack of investment. We were greeted by a lovely lady ( Edna?) with a quirky sense of humour, the room was comfortable although the plumbing desperately needs an overhaul and the air conditioning is likely to keep you awake. Dinner was restricted to an all you can eat affair with the "ranch" the only other alternative. I would like to give the Inn a better revue but they have you by the short and curlies and they know it!.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

This place is in an amazing location and the drive to the hotel was like nothing else we have ever done. Upon arrival, however, the service was mediocre and the room just passable with a view of the rear carpark. Considering the 360 degree views, this is unacceptable.
We are a family of 4 and enjoyed cooling off (outside temp 120 degrees) in the pool then changed for dinner - bear in mind the hotel regulations state that semi smart wear should be worn into the dining room.
We were met at the dining room by a grumpy waitress and her statement 'it's a buffet and you'll pay before you eat' should have rung alarm bells.
Unfortunately not and we went in to eat on the basis that it was that or cacti from the desert.
The buffet was witouut question the worst food we have had in California. Over cooked beef, chicken and pork served in heated treys and covered in the same stick sauce.
Avoid the food
Indifferent service
Having said that, for location alone, worth going to....

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view towards the garden
2 Thank Tim M
Denver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I visit this resort every year, and have done for the last decade. Usually I find it to be welcoming, friendly and I am very impressed with the excellent standards that Xanterra sets (they are the operators of many of the National Parks' facilities).

This year, however, Furnace Creek wins the prize for 'Being The Only Game In Town'.

Most of the tourists in mid-July are European heat-seekers, usually over-nighters on their way somewhere cooler. So it was a mystery to me why the Front Desk - where there was a long, long line - decided to place us in the furthest building from the main resort, in the furthest room of that building, and upstairs. We were staying four nights - could they not have used some commonsense and realized we would be humping large quantities of luggage around in 122F heat?

Dinner at the steakhouse was a mixed bag. My filet was excellent, my companion's Porterhouse was very poor. The prices have exploded over the last two years, and you can now expect to spend $60 or more on a steak. Even the breakfast buffet is now a steep $15. At least the tips are included - European tourists apparently aren't particularly used to the concept.

Every day at around noon, our room keys stopped working. All of them. Four times we trudged half a mile back to the office to get new ones, and each time they gave us more - four, six, and seven. They still all stopped working. And we still had to walk back. Again, in 120F or more - a heat that we love, but that we wish to escape when we actually get back to the room.

Our guest in the adjoining room was charged erroneously for his stay, despite our very clear instructions at the Front Desk and my clarification that his credit card WOULD NOT be charged when I spoke with the manager.

To their credit, Furnace Creek did send the manager in person to apologize for the key debacle. When the AC failed, they replaced it within two hours (by which time the room temperature was over 100F) and the Front Desk did take care of the credit card once alerted to the fact that it had been charged incorrectly.

I have no idea how the standards dropped so far this year, and hope that it was an unfortunate blip. I'll visit again next year, but I'll definitely be asking for a room closer to the resort, with recently serviced AC, and I'll be bringing more of my own food.

Room Tip: Rooms facing west on the edge of the building get very hot in the afternoon. Try and get a room in t...
1 Thank JonR71
Bucks
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

I couldn't believe how this place had changed since my last visit back in 1990 and I don't think it was a good change either! I felt it was very overpriced for what it was, particularly the food. Dinner was ok, nothing special, but breakfast was awful. Truly terrible service and very disappointing and very overpriced food not served with even a hint of a smile! Also very peeved that 15% gratuity was already included in the bill which was particularly frustrating given the poor service. The sad thing about this is that it then gives your server no real incentive to do a particularly good job as they know they're going to get a reasonable tip anyway!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Death Valley National Park
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,653 reviews
The Ranch at Furnace Creek
The Ranch at Furnace Creek
#2 of 7 in Death Valley National Park

Been to Furnace Creek Inn and Ranch Resort? Share your experiences!