“Nice campground not no off-season ranger presence”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Death Valley National Park
Texas Spring Campground
Reviewed 2 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in April 2013. The campsite is on the valley floor and the surrounding rock formations are GORGEOUS, particularly at sunset while we were making dinner. There is no firewood around so you have to bring your own. The bathrooms were nice and there were large outdoor sinks to wash your dishes in. The ground was rock hard and it was somewhat difficult hammering the tent poles into the earth but we managed. The ground was ROCK HARD so if you're in a tent with a sleeping bag I'd recommend an inflatable mattress or sleeping bag mat. We saw a rabbit one morning which was cool.

The worst part about this campground was that if you have a need for a ranger off-season you're out of luck. There was NO ranger presence in April when we were there. Unfortunately, we had some very loud neighbors at the next campsite on the first night who also left out trash overnight which attracted crows. This was concerning since we could hear coyotes at night! I went to the visitor's center to ask which ranger I could contact and they referred me to the San Bernardino police department (which is like 2 hours away!). I was shocked that they couldn't even refer us to any on-duty rangers to help out.

There were showers nearby at Furnace Creek. We went to the front desk and got a $5 pass each which gave us 24 hours of access to the resort's pool and showers. Furnace Creek village also had nice amenities (restaurants, gift shop, market) which were useful.

Other than the ranger issue, this was a beautiful campground which I recommend.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
12  Thank erodriguez23

Reviewed 28 March 2013

3 of us in our own campers met at Texas Spring Campground and we stayed there 4 1/2 days March 20-24th. Not my ideal camping spot as I like to be off the beaten path a bit. It was way to crowded for my liking and people camped right next to you seeing and hearing everything you did. During the week it was OK but by the weekend folks were coming in at all hours, waking us up with their voices and headlights shinning right on us. I was very glad to get out of there on Sunday a.m.!!

1  Thank Bobby31225
Reviewed 21 March 2013

We didn't even bother to look at Furnace Creek because we were looking for something smaller. We stayed mid-week but still got one of the last sites. It is a nice campground and even has running water for cleaning and drinking.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank GlobalTouristHawaii
Reviewed 21 March 2013

We hadn't planned to stay at Texas Springs but when we visited in October the other two campsites in Furnace Creek were closed. But we were happy with Texas Springs and even being the only one open it was still reasonably quiet. The toilets were clean, and you get a nice view from your campsite. We enjoyed the fire pits, but definitely bring your own wood with you, the general store in Furnace Creek are well aware they are the only shop around! If you're coming from Vegas and planning to stop on the way to get supplies you might be disappointed, as we were with Lathrop Wells. It's a weird little place with just a petrol station/store/diner/brothel with lots of alien paraphernalia - truly bizarre, worth a stop to get some petrol and have a look but if you're self-catering stock up before you leave Vegas. It gets really dark in the desert and it's much easier to set up camp while it's daylight. The stars are amazing though. Definitely recommend the $5 shower and swim at the furnace creek resort, the spring fed 29'C pool was definitely a highlight, and it's valid for 24 hours so if you go in afternoon after your finished hiking you can take an early morning swim before you head off the next day.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank KJNewZealand
Reviewed 25 February 2013 via mobile

Has plenty of spacious sites. The A loop is tents only, we parked our popup here next to a little creek. Nice spot under trees to set up chairs if its hot. Restroom is cold water only, no showers, nice and clean. You can swim and shower at the resort for $5 per day. A very pleasant desert experience, close to most of the must-see sights.

• Stayed: February 2013
6  Thank Geoff-n-Susan
Reviewed 22 January 2013

Arriving after dark, we first found Furnace Creek, but even for the time of year (late Nov) it seemed quite full and didn't have very clear instructions. We found Texas Springs much more accommodating and it was an amazing but eerie place by the moonlight. Had a little trouble with the payment machines taking ages to read our card - think they may have been solar powered. Good facilities, some newer, some needing work. No showers but for one night it's perfect. Good size pull through sites for campervans/RV's with your own picnic table. Would recommend doing the Mosaic Canyon walk whilst your there.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Cenwynn
Reviewed 7 November 2012

I choose this campground without even looking at Furnace Creek since I knew it was higher, smaller and often less crowded than furnace creek. Lack of reservations may contribute to the lighter use. I stayed in October. Springtime would be much busier and I would probably be inclined to reserve a site at Furnace Creek if I went in the spring. This campground caters to both tent campers and RV'rs. It has tent-only campsites and generator use is not allowed- (another attraction for me, as I am a tent camper.) About 2/3 of the tent-only campsites are located at the lower end of the campground and have varying degrees of vegetation, though only 3 or 4 sites at most offer any kind of real shade. Many of those tent sites are also spaced fairly well apart, compared to other sites. When I arrived late Friday evening, I found the campground lightly occupied overall but most of the lower loop tent sites were taken, so even though they were more spacious, the area was crowded. I like to get out of my car and walk around a campground before I select a site and and it became apparent that there were some noisy, boom box type people in the lower loop. True desert rats enjoy the quiet of the desert and are respectful of others when they have to share their environment. Obviously, these were pikers, so I moved on to the upper end of the campground, where there were a few quiet campers spread well apart. The upper loop has more of a parking lot effect, but with the few campers there spread out, it was quite nice. I would have enjoyed the area less if the campground were at max capacity. There was somewhat of a view of the valley floor, and proximity to the springs and mudhill formations was nice. The no-generator rule was violated by one party in a motorhome early both mornings while I was there, It was clearly one of the quieter 4 stroke generators, but still loud enough to wake me up. There is plenty of bathroom capacity and they were in fairly clean condition- probably more from light use than attentive cleaning. Most of the bathrooms have nice, large utility sink stations near them. I knew these would be there, so I left my bucket and and wash basins at home, saving a bit of space in my compact car. Depositing dish water or other wastewater on the ground is prohibited. The main attraction for me was that a very nice hike to Funeral Slot Canyon (aka Furnace Slot Canyon) originates from the campground. This mostly trail-less 8 mile hike is not in any printed guide books that I am aware of and is not for novices, but is a very worthy venture for experienced hikers.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo