“Highly recommend”
Review of Husky Homestead

Husky Homestead
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Enjoy a warm welcome and experience a true Alaskan lifestyle at Husky Homestead—home of Iditarod Champion, Jeff King. Husky Homestead is widely heralded as an authentic look into rural lifestyles based on 40 years of Alaskan adventures: from freight hauling on Denali to crossing the finish line in Nome, Alaska with a champion Iditarod team. Cuddle puppies upon arrival and share an intimate view of the Alaskan Husky as the team explodes from the dog yard and runs on our treadmill before hitting the trail for a training run. Get a behind-the-scenes look at what goes into creating a championship team and carving a life in Alaska's Interior. Hear compelling stories from the trail and see actual racing sleds, arctic survival gear and equipment used to traverse 1100 miles of Alaska's most rugged terrain. Our 2017 tour season begins May 10th and ends on September 21st. Special Note(s): Dress in warm layers. Wear comfortable walking shoes. Bring a jacket, gloves and a hat. Children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by parent or guardian. Outside portion of this tour is approximately 45 minutes, inside portion is approximately 45 minutes. We look forward to meeting you!
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 28 June 2014

The husky homestead was great, much more than I expected.puppies, adventure and comedy, it was something I will never forget.

1  Thank Chaser4efer

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I had wanted to do this tour from the moment I booked our cruise/land journey back in October. Since Alaska is known for the Iditarod, I wanted to understand what they go through. Our bus driver who drove us from Seward after our cruise to Denali gave us a surprise stop at the Iditarod Headquarters in Wasilla and this intrigued me to learn more about the race.

After holding the most adorable puppy, we sat outside with blankets on our laps listening about the raising of the dogs for the race. I most enjoyed hearing how they name the litters (after Friends characters & cheeses). Then they hooked up a team to an ATV and they rode around the complex. Three dogs were brought over to us to meet, one of which is on Jeff King's team.

Then we went inside to meet Jeff King. He was very interesting and answered all of our questions. They showed a short film clip and then pulled up the screen to reveal pictures with our "puppies". This was quite an enjoyable attraction. I would highly recommend dog lovers to put this on their "excursions" if you're in Denali.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

think this was a very good thing to do we like to learn about how life is in alaska in the winter time

Reviewed 23 June 2014

All seven of our family from ages 11-78 enjoyed this. The bus driver is an experienced musher who gave us great information on the way there and on the way back. When you get there they give you 8 week old puppies to hold and bigger ones as well. Then they do a great job explaining what goes into running and winning this race. Jeff King is a great entertainer. This is not to be missed He signed a poster for the kids and I bought the book on CD which is great!

Reviewed 22 June 2014

While on holiday at the Denali National Park, I saw Jeff King’s Husky Homestead tour vans picking up folks at my hotel. I didn’t know who Jeff King was or what the Husky Homestead tour involved. I thought “mushing” was what you did with potatoes and I couldn’t pronounce or spell “Iditarod”. This city girl from Atlanta booked the Husky Homestead tour because of my love for God’s creation called the Dog.

Be warned! Jeff King’s Husky Homestead tour is a classic ‘bait and hook’ scheme! He will "bait" you with cuteness and 'hook' you with his storytelling!!

I arrived at the Husky Homestead and was immediately given a 3 week old Alaskan Husky to hold. He got me…right in the heart! I started to melt into a blob. Then, his professional, well-educated and helpful staff joined in to ensure that my ‘melting’ was at maximum level, by telling me the details about how the dogs are cared for and trained. They answered every question I could muster during my ‘melt’.

Then after the 'cuteness' bait, we had the “Jeff King-Keynote Speaker” seminar. He is a funny storyteller! He had me captivated by his stories about mushing and living in the Denali area that go back to 1975. I bought his book so I could get a ‘Selfie’ with Jeff King and was not expecting much of his book. I was surprised when I started reading it and found that I couldn't put it down. His book will have you laughing, crying and wanting to learn more about the sport of Mushing and the Iditarod. Jeff King has become my favorite musher!

If you are in the Fairbanks/Denali area…Don’t miss the Husky Homestead Tour. Get his book... you enjoy the stories.

3  Thank MSTJames