“Fantastic Experience”

Denali Backcountry Lodge
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Hats off to the entire staff of the lodge,they have made my stay in Denali a memorable one.The guides were very good in the transfer of their knowledge to us hikers.It would have been nice if an early evening shuttle ie. 9:00 pm to wonder lake could be arrange as this was the ideal time for photography

Room Tip: Stay out late for spectacular sunsets
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank DaySouthAfrica

Reviewed 17 August 2013

Ignored the cabin reservation I paid for and offered no compensation for their error. They weren't concerned. Also ignored their own paperwork for a diet request for vegetarian meals and again, they just didn't care. If you stay 3 nights, you will see the menu repeat itself. Downer. And the resident Chef ... well, he isn't one. Other than these disappointments, you can't go further in Denali than the Back-Country Lodge - glorious scenery and wildlife. The guided hikes are very good. Perhaps this makes up for the shortfalls in management.

4  Thank SonderOffizier
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I have to use an electric scooter and can not say enough about the excellent service. Everyone was more than helpful not just making sure I got a bus with a lift but holding doors, getting items I couldn't reach, anything to make sure all my needs were met. I was unsure how traveling would be but I can't say enough about how well my needs were met.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

I enjoyed the scenery (truly spectacular) and the hikes at the lodge. Rooms were OK and the food, with one exception, was fine. A nice place, but..
We had reserved 2 rooms, both with 2 beds in them. When we got there, one of the rooms had only a single king-sized bed for my 2 adult sons. I talked to management and they couldn't do anything that day. Why did I make a reservation 5 months in advance???
We arrived on the afternoon bus at about 7 pm. That meal was very ho-hum. The fish were overcooked, and scorched! The vegetables were overcooked and cold. The remainder of the food was OK that evening.
If I returned to the area, I would look at the other lodges first.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Ralph P
Reviewed 7 August 2013

First off, staying in Denali is more interesting than taking a day trip into and out of the park. That being said it is a LONG trip to the Kantishna lodgings (set up in 3 separate lodges) that are within the national park boundaries. The bus trip to the lodge is special because you get your own driver that is just for the guests. A nice snack is provided on the journey. It was almost 9:00 before we got to our accommodations quite dusty and then we had only 5 minutes to get ready for dinner. The dinners were very nice, fresh vegetables, and plenty of food. Beer and wine were available in a nearby bar. The grounds are very pretty on a creek. The rooms were fine - a bit noisy and crowded as they are cabins in a row. We had a great hike the next day with our guide Thomas to the McKinley Bar Trail. All the activities they planned were nice - and you could sign up for as many as you want. It is very expensive to stay at the lodge but it is a unique experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Europhile62
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Wow, the 92-mile bus trip along the edge of the mountain to reach the lodge is, in a word, harrowing, but the views are spectacular and you will see wildlife. Some of the animals will be close, others will be far off across the valleys and require sharp eyes and binoculars. This is as far as you can go in Denali unless you strike out on foot. The Lodge itself is clean, homey and welcoming. Individual cabins are rustic in decor but we found ours comfortable and cozy. Staff is knowledgeable, competent, enthusiastic and friendly. This is an expensive retreat, so all activities are included - fishing licenses do cost $20, but the food is disappointing. For the money, I expected a higher quality. Breakfast one morning was great, the next only so-so. Lunch in the Day Lodge was very nice, but the mosquitoes fierce. Dinners were disappointing. I wore my bug shirt most of the time and was quite bite-free until I took it off to eat! Hikes are a must as the opportunity to learn about plants and see animals can't be missed. We encountered a large bull moose in the shallow end of Wonder Lake and watched him feed for half an hour. Instead of riding the bus back on the outside of the gravel road, we opted for a flyby of Denali and then on to the town of Denali. If you can work the flight into your budget, I highly recommend it.

2  Thank jettan
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We just spent 2 nights at DBCL and it was wonderful. Their busses are comfortable and less congested, their staff from check in for the tour to our ride out of the park did a great job. Marianne led us on a hike to Blueberry Hill and we not only had a wonderful view of McKinley and Wonder Lake but were able to enjoy learning about the plant life and got to pick a few blueberries ourselves. The rooms are cozy and comfortable and the food was very good Although we are Alaskans this was a very special experience for us. All the others that were on the same itinerary seemed to enjoy the trip as well.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple