“God's country”

Denali Backcountry Lodge
Reviewed 18 July 2014

At 65 I didnt think I'd I enjoy myself on this trip. I had a GREAT time. Spent 2 days ,July 10 and 11 and was able to do so much. The staff was SO HELPFUL, could'nt do enough for us' We were a senior family of 8. The dinning and food was the BEST, I'd call it 5 STARE and the has a 2nd choice if you couldn't eat the main course. served family style so you had PLENTY of food. 50th Anniv. for my inlaws and they they gave them a whole cake with candle and everyone sang. Worth every penny!! The cabins were beautiful. If you needed anything, if they could they did it. saw so many wild animals. Just don't forget the Deet spray!

Room Tip: Every cabin was Beautiful I did'nt like the one's down be the water because you had a lot mo...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Christopher H, General Manager at Denali Backcountry Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Bonnie,

What a great opportunity to come and experience Denali National Park as part of such a momentous occasion, a 50th wedding anniversary! Congratulations to your in-laws and best wishes for many years to come!
We are so thankful that you could visit us here in Kantishna and experience some of our Alaskan hospitality. The kitchen and service staff works very hard to ensure that each and every dining experience is unique and memorable. We accomplish this through many “Family Style” offerings, plenty of food, and a number of choices to fit guests dietary needs.
We look forward to your next visit with the future generations of your family. Best wishes from Alaska!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

By far one of the coolest places I've ever been. We saw 10 bears on our way out along with moose and sheep. What a treat this place is. We did the "casual hike" in the morning and gold panning in the afternoon. The cabins are small but we didn't spend much time there so it wasn't a bad thing. Staff was overwhelmingly gracious. They were ALL terrific!!

1  Thank Kelsey B

Kelsey,

The biggest highlight of anyone’s trip to Denali National Park tends to be the wildlife in this subarctic region of Alaska. Although we have abundant wildlife throughout the park, being able to see 10 bears during your time in Denali is truly a treat that most visitors don’t get to experience. We certainly hope that the additional wildlife you saw, along with the experience on the park road, was beyond your expectations!
All of our staff works incredibly hard to give each and every guest the experience that they deserve. I will pass along my heartfelt gratitude, along with your accolades, to each and every member of our staff. Thanks for visiting us here in Kantishna, and best wishes in all of your future travels!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

What else can you say about traveling and staying deep in the back country that most people don't get to experience. It was an adventure! Nice accommodations and plenty of quiet. The beds were comfortable and the rooms clean. You could be outdoors as much as you'd like with plenty of benches and places to walk. The food was delicious and a nice variety since everything has to be bussed in. It was difficult to get info for special diet needs to the chef. The drive both ways was made quite educational with well trained and researched drivers. Wildlife was abundant on the way out and we had a gorgeous view of Denali and the Alaska Range. The personnel who assisted with the activities were welcoming and very well versed in their areas as well as fun-loving. We left just four days before the flooding and even though we had many rainy times during our 3-night stay, we enjoyed ourselves immensely. We would recommend the Backcountry Lodge to those who want a taste of the real Alaska without camping. BJ

Room Tip: There are a few cabins that do not have adjoining walls with another room. That would guarantee a q...
1  Thank Barb J

Barb,

We were happy to hear that you had a wonderful trip to Alaska, and an enjoyable stay in Kantishna while traveling to Denali National Park.
Part of the adventure in coming to Kantishna includes the long trip on the magnificent park road through the Alaska Range. This ride is made all the more memorable by our Bus Drivers, who in their own way, are educated as Denaliologits! In addition, we have a wonderful staff of Naturalist guides who educate our guests on a daily basis while they are out in the park. It is their pleasure to share this special place with each and every guest, and we hope that you felt this sense of pleasure during your stay.
We would like to thank you for your recommendation, and we hope to see you in your next visit to Alaska!

Reviewed 30 June 2014

10 of us traveled to Alaska for two weeks and followed the recommendation of our travel agent to go 6 hours back into the park to the Back Country Lodge for several days. What a find! A beautiful location built into the trees, with a stream running behind it and the most gorgeous scenery! Stayed in a lovely cabin and had the fortune to meet some wonderful staff beginning with Chris, head honcho, and Aubrey and Glynnis. We hiked to Wonder Lake, had the good fortune to see Mt. McKinley three times, some of our group fished Wonder Lake, took a tour with Aubrey to learn about flora and fauna and all kinds of wildlife, took heed of the BMW warning should we run across bear, moose or wolves, and had a wonderful experience. Anyone traveling to Alaska should take the time to go deep into Denali, I guarantee they will not be disappointed!

Room Tip: We saw two different set-ups for cabins, you can't go wrong with either!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sherry C
Beth B, Director of Sales at Denali Backcountry Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you, Sherry!

We are happy to hear your group enjoyed their stay with us at the Denali Backcountry Lodge, and that your group took advantage of the many activities offered and explored the area in Kantishna.

There is so much to see and do in Alaska, and we agree wholeheartedly-- spending time in the deep within Denali is a definitely a unique and memorable experience that can't be missed!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We just returned from DBL and we had a wonderful experience. Cabins were beautiful and clean and the one we had (30) had the creek running behind it, so we opened the windows and listened to the gentle stream at night. We enjoyed the drive down the long road. I've been on several dirt road drives, but this road is smooth compared to them. Our bus driver Andrew was very good about stopping when wild life was spotted and he gave a good history of the country also. As far as the food, it was presented to us in a reasonable time, didn't have to wait and each meal was different and so we got to try new foods. Ice tea machine was broke so the server attempted to make me a glass with my dinner meals, she did okay, but all in all we had a wonderful trip. We were lucky enough to see Mt. Mckinley and the locals say that is rare. We probably won't go back, just because that was on our bucket list...time for the next location.

1  Thank Carolyn M

Carolyn,

Thank you for joining us at the Denali Backcountry Lodge during your trip to Denali!

We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed the drive along the Denali Park Road, and that you were fortunate enough to see Mt. McKinley on your visit! I will pass along your compliments to Andrew's supervisor.

Best wishes to you and yours for your next adventure!

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Took the 6 hour bus ride into Denali and stayed 2 nights at the Backcountry Lodge. Great experience. The bus ride sounds long but it's worth it for the scenery and the animals. Going in, sit on the driver side for the best views; on the "passenger" side coming out. Plenty of stops along the way for bathroom breaks and pictures. The Lodge itself is nice. The cabins are not very roomy--it was a bit tight for 4 people but we managed OK. Dinner was delicious. We took the Quigley Ridge hike, and did gold panning--fun. It was a bit of a rushed morning the day we left. Had to have bags packed, eat breakfast and be ready to go by 6am. Had snow on the way out so visibility was pretty low--still, it was nice to see the park covered in snow. Staff couldn't have been more friendly. This was a pricey little expedition, but going that far into the park, and staying at the Lodge was certainly something most people don't do. We enjoyed it very much.

2  Thank xnewyauka

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at the Denali Backcountry Lodge! We are glad you enjoyed your stay, and hope you had a great time on the rest of your Alaskan adventure!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Overall, the amenities for being deep in the wilderness were very good. Rooms were clean and quiet, and naturalists were very good and enjoyable in interact with. If there was anything that fell short of my expectations it would be the food and the bar. The food was average--I understand that what food they have is brought in by bus so variety is limited, but they were also aware that we had children (8 y.o., 10 y.o., and 13 y.o.) with us when our rooms were booked months in advance. We specifically asked for kid friendly foods to be available. Our tour group leader had to ask the chef every night for this, and even with that the answer on a nightly basis was that they would see what they could do. Sorry, that is not what I wanted nor needed to hear. It would have sufficed to know that they would make it happen, even if it was a simple PB & J. With respects to the bar, my husband had a run in with the bartender when he was told by the manager that the bar was open, and the bartender asked for my husband to come back. My husband was initially fine with this--when he returned the bartender got a little snippy with him and then proceeded to get upset with the other staff members about who was telling customers the bar was open. It was quite obvious that the bartender either needed more help to open up the bar, or she needed to learn better social skills--I suspect she needed both.
On the other hand, the serving staff was very busy and worked very hard. Although there were times when we had to wait for food to be served, it was apparent they were working--the servers were never too busy to get an extra glass of water or bring out a replacement fork. They always had smiles on their faces despite it being hectic at times.
The question I ask myself is would I come back? I think if I didn't have my kids with us I would consider it. However, if I have to deal with the kitchen the way I did this time, then no. As for the bar service, I think that can be managed with a little help from the management team. I don't know how they train the staff before the season opens, but management needs to work with their staff in PR.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Kay T
Christopher H, General Manager at Denali Backcountry Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your viewpoint and insight to your experience while visiting us here at Denali Backcountry Lodge. We look forward to our daily interactions with guests, and hope that each of them enjoys every portion of their stay.

I am sorry to hear that your husband had a negative interaction with our bartender. I will address the situation when the bartender arrives at work today. I would hope that these situations would be brought to my attention immediately, and I am sorry to hear that none of our employees notified me of the occurrence. It is never appropriate for any of our employees, including myself, to be short, curt, discourteous, or rude to any of our customers. This is certainly not what we teach throughout our training; neither is it what we show by example on a daily basis.

In regards to food; we have a very extensive menu for such a remote property, and we keep a number of child friendly items on hand at all times. Some of these items include: chicken tenders, spaghetti, regular macaroni and cheese, hot dogs, tater tots, and hamburgers. I was surprised to hear that it was so difficult for our kitchen to accommodate your request for child friendly foods.

As you know our chef announces each evening meal and takes any dietary or allergy based requests on a nightly basis. The reason we do this is to ensure that any food requests are met with a satisfactory option. We try to be proactive and anticipate the fact that there are guests who have special dietary requests or allergies, and we know that this is an important part of their stay. In your case there must have been a miscommunication between the tour leader/tour company and our staff. I am sorry that this happened and we will certainly work on our communication and a more assured response to these requests.

In the end all of our staff members work very hard on a daily basis. We appreciate your positive comments and I will pass those comments on to our service staff. We trust that you enjoyed your vacation in Alaska, and wish you safe travels wherever you may go!

Thanks,