“$1000/night for two”

Kantishna Roadhouse
Sacramento, California
“$1000/night for two”
Reviewed 30 June 2013

That price includes meals, but it is pretty much standard institutional fare, only two choices at dinner, and, you are assigned at tables with other guests. Too much forced polite dinner conversation, AFTER hiking with a group that talked non-stop; AFTER a six hour bus drive where the driver talked non stop. There was no peace and quiet. Sitting outside or in the lodge was NOT an option due to mosquitos worse than Minnesota and Wisconsin combined. For $1000, cabin was a dark cave, equipped with electric mosquito swatter, and we had to stick a sheet in all the spaces around the door, as there were large gaps for insects to get in. Saw very few animals and those we saw from the bus. Sled dogs used for demonstration are chained up, very sad. Save your time and money.

5 Thank Dorothy899

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Staff, bus driver and guides were excellent but this cost way too much for what we experienced.... mosquitoes in our room, average food and weak coffee made this a disappointment for us. The morning we left our breakfast was cut short by mosquitoes in the dining room.

5 Thank Terence1430
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 25 June 2013

Loved Kantishna Roadhouse! Our room was huge and clean. The food, there was always a vegetarian option, was delicious. The staff is first rate - no request is a problem for them. And, they deliver with a smile. Lots of activities to do, from sitting on the front porch in a rocker, to taking a 11 mile hike with one of their guides. We were so lucky to have Chris as our hiking guide. Very personable and knowledgeable. Always checking to ensure our needs were being met. Although we brought our own gear, I think it's wonderful that they offer backpacks, boots, water bottles etc for guests to use. One can do as little, or as much, as they care to. Great talk about local geology by Heather after dinner one night. The trip by bus was exciting; we saw lots and lots and lots of animals. My only beef is with having to leave a bag at the Denali train station. Their policy only allows you 1 small suitcase and I had 2 because I was kayaking the Inner Passage the following week. Very inconvenient. But, it didn't mar the perfect time we had at the Roadhouse.

Room Tip: If you can, stay in the cabin that is river front.
1 Thank service197
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I highly recommend the Kantishna Roadhouse to visitors to Alaska and to those of us who live here. Let me break some things down for you that may help you plan your trip and know what to expect:

The drive to the Roadhouse: The day that I traveled, the bus ride to the Roadhouse took us 6 hrs. That sounds like alot of time on a nicer school bus but the scenery is fantastic and the terrain changes about every two hours so you don't get bored with your view of Polychrome Pass. I take it as a challenge to spot as much wildlife as possible so I can be the one to say "Stop! There's a moose!" We were given snacks at the first rest stop about 2 hrs into the ride - delicious chocolate chip cookies, fruit, and water. (I brought energy drinks for the bus ride because I didn't want to fall asleep and miss something!)

The cabins: I stayed in a duplex cabin. They also have cabins in a fourplex configuration. Be warned - the wall separating you from your neighbors is pretty thin. I didn't have a problem as my neighbors were pretty considerate and I'm a heavy sleeper. When you enter your cabin, if you're expecting 5 star top-of-the-line accomodations, you will be disappointed. But if you're expecting clean and comfortable and rustically decorated (log cabin walls, simple furniture, and, in my cabin, a framed map of Alaska on the wall) accomodations, you will be pleased. (My favorite thing in the cabin was the electric flyswatter. There are mosquitos at the Roadhouse and you're guaranteed a few will follow you into your cabin at night. But it's great fun chasing them all down with the flyswatter.)

The food: YUMM. The food at all three meals of the day was excellent. Again, if you're expecting 5 star gourmet dishes, you may be disappointed. What is served is delicious, pretty healthy, and delicious. (Did I say "delicious" twice? Just thinking about the seafood soup we had the first night makes me hungry...)

The staff: Every single one of them was super friendly and helpful. The guides took the time to have conversations with the guests and answer any questions we had. The activities available were well-communicated so nobody would miss out on anything.

John the bartender: John gets his own section in this review because he's amazing. He learned my name the first night then greeted me by name every time he saw me after that. And that made me feel so special. The saloon area is cozy so the bar can get a little crowded when you're waiting to order a drink. But John is so efficient. I don't think I ever waited more than 30 seconds before being asked what I'd like.

Activities at the Roadhouse: I took the shuttle to Wonder Lake (you're dropped off for about an hour and encouraged to explore), I saw the dog sled demonstration (in the library, a man gives a quick talk about dogsledding then everyone heads outside to watch the dogs get hitched up to pull a fourwheeler and then they pull it), and I went gold panning (I found some gold flakes!!!! and, if you want, at the front desk they will laminate your gold onto a card so you have a nice souvenir). There are also guided hikes of varying levels of difficulty offered. And there are self-guided hikes. And for those of us who just like to relax and watch nature, there is a screened in porch on the second level of the Roadhouse where you can sit in a comfy chair, read a book, and listen to the creek. (There are even blankets provided if you get a little chilly.) My advice: Stay three nights rather than the minimum stay of two nights so you have more time to do everything.

The drive out of the park: This bus leaves the Roadhouse at about 6:30am (or earlier if everyone's ready to go). The drive out is shorter than the drive in because the bus needs to make it to the train depot so that people can catch the train. My advice: be on the bus early and encourage your new friends to be early as well because the earlier you leave, the more time you'll have to watch wildlife on the way out of the park. Leaving so early in the morning is nice because Denali may be out rather than clouded in like it becomes later in the day and because the animals could potentially be more active because it's earlier in the day and because there has been less bus traffic on the road.

If you're still reading this, the bottom line is to understand that the Kantishna Roadhouse is an experience. Yes, it's an expensive trip but to be out in the middle of the park surrounded by so much nature and peace was priceless to me. So expect a true taste of Alaska with hospitality and friendliness out in the middle of the 6 million acres that make up Denali National Park and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank srpilch
Newburgh, New York
Reviewed 7 October 2012

This lodge is owned by a large corporation,but the facility seems to be run by college students and interns. They were very nice , but clueless to what people expect for their money. The only person who appeared over 21 was the bartender. The food was horrible, the beds were saggy and the cabins were out dated and in much need of renovation. But.... the hikes and scenery are beautiful. It is a very long ride to Kantishna, so staying over night in a lodge seems to be make the most sense, but I wish I had done a little more research and checked out some of the other lodges.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank vigee8
Port Macquarie, Australia
Reviewed 17 September 2012

It was surely a long bus ride from the park entrance but our very safe driver Gary made it interesting and enjoyable (there and back, with some good wildlife spotting). The Roadhouse provided a very pleasant stay and we were pleased with our two nights there. During our day at Kantishna we had a great hike and the mountains finally emerged from the clouds. Memorable experience.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank LHBfans
Sonoma, California
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Just spent 4 nights at the Kantishna Roadhouse and it was terrific! The bus ride in was so fun--- lots of furries sighted, including many grizzlies and Dall sheep. The staff at the Roadhouse were wonderful. Meals were excellent and the setting is just so beautiful. They even managed to ge The Mountain to make an appearance along with the entire mountain range! Took us guests over to Wonder Lake to view it and it was just incredible. Emmitt Peters, Jr. who does their sled dog talk is a gem! He does a great presentation and has the "credentials" to back it up--- he has been in the Junior Iditarod and won it and his Dad, Emmitt Sr., is a famous participant and winner of the full Iditarod. Emmitt Jr. also leads some of the hikes and we took one with him. It was a great hike and we learned a lot about the area including the flora and fauna.
We have recommended this place to several friends who are considering an Alaskan adventure and think this facility does a great job all around for a place to stay and enjoy this amazing and beautiful place. Plus late summer is a good time to go as the colours are all changing and there were not many mosquitoes! Hurray!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Best Western Plus Chena River Lodge
Westmark Fairbanks Hotel and Conference Center
Hampton Inn & Suites Fairbanks
SpringHill Suites Fairbanks

Been to Kantishna Roadhouse? Share your experiences!