Camp Denali
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Denali National Park and Preserve
See available hotels
Denali Backcountry Lodge(Denali National Park and Preserve)
View Hotel
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewswood stovedining hallno electricityother gueststhe bushot platedall sheeprain gearsmall groupunbelievable experiencenorth face lodgeflora and faunaeach guestlearning experiencehandmade quiltsunbeatable locationstrenuous hike
Reviewed 22 June 2012

i couldn't find any other words to describe this mind bending experience!! From the time the Camp Denali/North Face bus picked us up at the train station and Drew gave me a raincoat because i had come unprepared from Fort Lauderdale, to the time they deposited us back five days later, i was ensconced in bliss...my consciousness stretched and expanded by proximity to "the Great One," the awesomeness of the owners ( i think care takers might be a better word because they go to such lengths to preserve the pristine nature of the area) Jenna and Simon Ham and their children and staff; the sense of "community" fostered among the guests/travelers, the amazing richness, freshness and diversity of our meals, i can only say - Paradise on steroids...i would go back in a heartbeat!!

Room Tip: I grew up in the Jamaican countryside in the '50s with an outside toilet, so i have a keen appreciation of indoor plumbing. Next time i might choose to stay at the Lodge which has those facilities.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank Audrey P
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I have to agree with most of the reviews I have read thus far. I thought this was rather pricey when my husband suggested it but as one reviewer said, what isn't pricey in Alaska? But it is totally worth the price.

The staff is amazing, kind, caring and very attentive to your needs. The naturalist was fantastic and I learned a lot from him. The food was fabulous - delicious and wonderfully presented and I believe they were incredibly adaptable to special requests. We sampled different kinds of hikes and we had a day on our own at the lake as well and all those activities were super. I can't say enough. It is something that you shouldn't deny yourself.

Room Tip: We stayed in Sourdough - there were 3 of us. It has the fantastic view and it is quite close to the lodge. Double (or queen not sure) and a single bed. Close outhouse.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Melinda H
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Loved my stay here. Yes, it was a bit spendy, but you know what, it was worth every penny. Quality managers and staff. Will remember it all my life.

Room Tip: Get one near the bathrooms!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank VG_Ltd
Reviewed 21 December 2011

This summer we had our second visit to Camp Denali. It was just as terrific as we remembered from 12 years ago. It's primitive luxury if there can be such a thing. It's definitely an outdoor experience. The cabins are comfortable...but dry. There is water outside the door...a sink with out running water inside. The "little house" is outback...but it is private. Each cabin has its own. The showers are in a common building at the top of the hill....a little inconvenient if your cabin is at the bottom of the hill. But ours wasn't....so I have no complaint about that. We knew that all when we went there, so it wasn't a surprise. In fact it is part of what we loved about it. But there is MORE... The food is fantastic....the staff is incredible. One of the things they do really well there is create a sense of community among the guests. They work very hard to give each guest a memorable experience. There are three levels of guided hikes each day, but you are certainly free to go off on your own. We enjoyed the guided hikes because the guides are so knowledgeable.... able to identify plants, talk about animal habitats and patterns, talk about the history of the area....almost anything we asked....and if they don't know, there is a great library where you can look for the answers. It is expensive, but we felt it is an excellent value and plan to return on our next trip to Alaska.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank CJT3500
Reviewed 13 November 2011

Yes, I know it's not cheap staying here. But: it's worth every dollar. I had the most wonderfull time here. Upon arrival, the Dutch flag was raised (next to the Alaskan and US of course) to make me feel welcome. Which it did. My cabin was quite far from the main lodge but so cute and just perfect. the little woodstove with resh wood every day, the desk facing Mount Denali, the little gaslights, the porch, the cattle with lots of tea... not spacious but everything I needed was there and in good shape and quality
The hosts and guides do everything to make you feel welcome and at home. The food is great, also for vegetarians. Of course it helped that I had the most gorgeous weather you can imagine and that the autumn colours were plentyfull. But even in rain I am sure that you have a great time here!
In addition I like to mention the photocourse from Ralph Lee Hopkins. For 3 days we were in the field, capturing the colours, bears, mooses, carbibous (even with their velvet just shed), dall sheep, arctic squirrels... The combination of Ralph's teaching and the very knowlegable guides made these 3 days a dream come true!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo