“An indelible memory”
Review of Camp Denali

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Denali National Park and Preserve
Camp Denali
Hamden, Connecticut
“An indelible memory”
Reviewed 15 August 2012

From the minute you are picked up to the time you are dropped off you are in an environment unlike any other. The staff is so personable and well informed about everything from flora and fauna and animal habitats to the history of the park. You feel right at home the minute you get to the camp where you are greeted with coffee and dessert and given a short introduction to the place and the time for breakfast. What amazed me the most was that in three short days I felt I was able to get to know so many of the guests and enjoyed hearing stories of their travels and outdoor adventures. This was all fostered by the wonderful caretakers of the camp who have created a home away from home in a place which is so clearly different from where we all came from. There wasn't anything I would change about our entire experience and only hope that I can share this wonderful place with our family in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank movingon95

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
D.C.
Reviewed 2 August 2012

It is hard to explain how great an experience Camp Denali was but I will give it a try. As everyone says pricy but worth it. Unless you are staying inside the park which there are a limited number of places Camp Denali being one of them it is hard to really experience Denali. We did see the mountain on our second night and were shocked, no way we would have seen it if we were not staying at Camp Denali. The cabins are fantastic, warm, cozy, all you really need. Out house is fine and not stinky like I thought it might be, they have bathrooms with full plumbing and showers up at the lodge. I would request a cabin closer to the lodge although it was even more private being down the hill and the walk up to breakfast was a good wake up and warm up for the day. The meals were great and we enjoyed getting to know all the guests, such a small camp so you see the same people each day. The staff were really great! The best part was the hikes, loved having the EXTREMELY knowledgeable guides. These guides were true pros they make this their life study. Coffee, tea, apple cider and hot chocolate always available. I enjoyed reading after the hikes in the lodge before dinner. No internet or phone service, true getaway. If you have time stay longer, I wish we could have but hard to fit everything in when visiting Alaska. Follow the guide on what to bring, you likely will need all of the clothing on the hikes, don't forget binoculars. Family owned opertation and they are very involved. I don't say this much but I would go back!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank meger33
Los Altos Hills, California
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Camp Denali is a one-of-a-kind place. The total experience of the naturalists, the scenery, the hosts, the outhouses, the meals, the cabins, the flora and fauna is truly unequaled anywhere else. This is the real deal! The genuine warmth of hospitality and the deep love of place shared so generously will forever live with me. Get ready to sink into the world of raw beauty. The owners, hosts, naturalists, chefs and cleaning staff all do a fabulous job creating an experience beyond measure. We felt blessed to be at Camp Denali July 16 - 20, 2012.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wanderlust32654
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
Reviewed 22 June 2012

i couldn't find any other words to describe this mind bending experience!! From the time the Camp Denali/North Face bus picked us up at the train station and Drew gave me a raincoat because i had come unprepared from Fort Lauderdale, to the time they deposited us back five days later, i was ensconced in bliss...my consciousness stretched and expanded by proximity to "the Great One," the awesomeness of the owners ( i think care takers might be a better word because they go to such lengths to preserve the pristine nature of the area) Jenna and Simon Ham and their children and staff; the sense of "community" fostered among the guests/travelers, the amazing richness, freshness and diversity of our meals, i can only say - Paradise on steroids...i would go back in a heartbeat!!

Room Tip: I grew up in the Jamaican countryside in the '50s with an outside toilet, so i have a keen appre...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Audrey P
South Hadley, Massachusetts
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I have to agree with most of the reviews I have read thus far. I thought this was rather pricey when my husband suggested it but as one reviewer said, what isn't pricey in Alaska? But it is totally worth the price.

The staff is amazing, kind, caring and very attentive to your needs. The naturalist was fantastic and I learned a lot from him. The food was fabulous - delicious and wonderfully presented and I believe they were incredibly adaptable to special requests. We sampled different kinds of hikes and we had a day on our own at the lake as well and all those activities were super. I can't say enough. It is something that you shouldn't deny yourself.

Room Tip: We stayed in Sourdough - there were 3 of us. It has the fantastic view and it is quite close to the...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Melinda H
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed 27 February 2012

Loved my stay here. Yes, it was a bit spendy, but you know what, it was worth every penny. Quality managers and staff. Will remember it all my life.

Room Tip: Get one near the bathrooms!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank VGinParadise_10
Virginia, USA
Reviewed 21 December 2011

This summer we had our second visit to Camp Denali. It was just as terrific as we remembered from 12 years ago. It's primitive luxury if there can be such a thing. It's definitely an outdoor experience. The cabins are comfortable...but dry. There is water outside the door...a sink with out running water inside. The "little house" is outback...but it is private. Each cabin has its own. The showers are in a common building at the top of the hill....a little inconvenient if your cabin is at the bottom of the hill. But ours wasn't....so I have no complaint about that. We knew that all when we went there, so it wasn't a surprise. In fact it is part of what we loved about it. But there is MORE... The food is fantastic....the staff is incredible. One of the things they do really well there is create a sense of community among the guests. They work very hard to give each guest a memorable experience. There are three levels of guided hikes each day, but you are certainly free to go off on your own. We enjoyed the guided hikes because the guides are so knowledgeable.... able to identify plants, talk about animal habitats and patterns, talk about the history of the area....almost anything we asked....and if they don't know, there is a great library where you can look for the answers. It is expensive, but we felt it is an excellent value and plan to return on our next trip to Alaska.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
#2 of 4 in Healy
McKinley Creekside Cabins
McKinley Creekside Cabins
#1 of 7 in McKinley Village

Been to Camp Denali? Share your experiences!