This was the cheapest accommodation available in the Denali area. However, we knew that and were willing to take a break from luxury to save a few $$. This was a big Mistake.
The rooms are basic log cabins which seem to be well built. No problems with mice or bugs that we observed. There are no amenities (TV, Microwave, Coffee maker, fridge, place to put your bags, shampoos, etc) but we can live without those. Washrooms are in a seperate building shared with campers but they are new and OK. The location is 12 miles south of Denali which was OK for us as we had a rented car. There is only one restaurant within walking distance (tourist trap!) but with wheels we could go elsewhere. Our bed was comfortable but the sheets looked dirty - my wife didn't want to sleep on them. We got by by inserting a blanket we brought with us. Short of the dishonest staff I would have rated this place 3/5.
Our issue was that we booked for 2 nights and were charged a third to our Visa without our permission. We had pre-arranged an agreement with the owner that we go to Denali NP early in the morning leaving our luggage in the room. We would call the owner around 8:00AM (when he gets up) and let him know our decision. He assured us we could get a connection using my blackberry from the park even though we couldn't from his location.
As it turned out, we couldn't get a connection to leave him a message. He charged us for the additional night without our permission. The girl on duty in the evening said it was because we didn't remove our bags. We argued that this was a scam but the response was along the line of "You signed an agreement that all our belongings would be removed by 11:00 or be charged another day". They really didn't cae about their reputation - money was their only incentive. We stayed the third night against our wishes (we can't afford to pay twice for the same night).
I wouldn't recommend staying here to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Carlo Creek Lodge offers a rich Alaskan history having been homesteaded by our family in 1959. We are known by many for our distinctive features including black spruce burls and handcrafted log cabins. We invite you to stay nestled in the Alaska Range in a private bath cabin on the creek, shared bath cabin nestled in the woods, or one of our new Lodge Rooms. Enjoy a restful evening on wooded acres bordered by Carlo Creek. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Carlo Creek Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carlo Creek Hotel Denali National Park And Preserve
- Carlo Creek Lodge Alaska/Denali National Park And Preserve