“Pleasant hike, interesting experience”

Denali Backcountry Guides Day Tours
Book In Advance
More Info
US$110.00*
and up
Denali National Park Walking Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Since 1997 Denali Backcountry Guides offers Walking tours, guided interpretive hikes, pack rafting trips, fly-in wilderness trips, and Heli Hiking at Denali National Park. Custom trips available. Our experienced naturalist can help you to explore this wilderness at any level.
New York City, New York
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“Pleasant hike, interesting experience”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We hiked with Tyler, who was very knowledgeable and friendly. He was really good at tailoring the trip to the group's interest and fitness levels.

Visited July 2014

Tucson, Arizona
“Day Hike with Tyler”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

We booked a half day hike through Princess Cruises. The party consisted of my wife, another couple who are friends of ours and myself. All of us easily classify as senior citizens. Our guide was Tyler. Tyler was a very pleasant young fellow who seemed to have a very good knowledge of the local fauna and flora. We hiked up about 2/3's of the way up the mountain. The upper portion was fairly steep. I appreciated that Tyler monitored the group carefully to make sure that no one was straining or having difficulties. It was a fun trip which we all enjoyed. Tyler made it a very enjoyable experience.

Visited June 2014
Houston, Texas
“Awesome Heli-hiking with our wonderful guide, Jeff”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We call our guide, Mr. Jeffrey Ottmers, Mr. National Geographic! His knowledge and passion is impeccable! With his guiding, we met with a sub dominate group of caribous (which was really awesome), kinds of floral and fauna. Jeff explained everyone of them to us just like we were visiting his own backyard. Jeff made this trip worth every penny of it. If we visit Denali again, Jeff's tour is a must-stop!

Visited June 2014
Colorado Springs, Colorado
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Good Views of the Local Floral and Fauna”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Our guide was Kevin. He was sort of enthusiastic about the local plants, but seemed to be regurgitating a lot of the other information. He also was less than enthusiastic about us once he found out that we didn't belong to the Sierra Club. This was a fascinating tour otherwise.
It is a hike, but well within the abilities of most people. We didn't see any animals, but we did see plenty of animal signs.

Visited May 2014
Kevin S, Lead Guide at Denali Backcountry Guides Day Tours, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Mike,

I apologize if our hike together did not meet your expectations. I would like to make it up to you, so if you find yourself in Alaska again I will take you and 3 other people on a 5 hour private tour for free. If you will not be back I will take 2 of your friends and/or family for free. I am a little confused about the comment about the Sierra Club. I have not had a conversation about the Sierra Club with any clients this year. Also, I am not a member of the Sierra Club, nor is any other guide at Denali Backcounrty Guides. I am really glad you found our hike fascinating and that we saw plenty of animal signs.
Annandale, Virginia
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Denali Wilderness Hiking Tour”
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This was an amazing experience!! One of the couples expected to join our family did not show up so we ended up having a private hiking tour with Jeff, our fabulous guide!! The tour was 5 hours long. Not sure what I was thinking!! Even with little sleep, and not a lot of hiking experience, the time just flew by and was filled with non-stop exploration and awe! Jeff made sure we were comfortable the entire 5 hours! He equipped us with hiking poles.. I strongly recommend them. I did not want to have any kind of injury and we weren't used to being in such untouched wilderness. We followed moose paths!! The sub-alpine tundra was soft and spongy and just full of amazing facts. Jeff was so knowledgeable and gave us not only a fabulous insight into this beautiful land but valuable hiking tips as well. We had one stop and he provided some great, substantial healthy snacks. Kudos to Jeff and many thanks for making this a truly memorable experience for our me,my husband and son!!

Visited May 2014