“Wanted to go to end of Everglades park - no need to go back.”

Flamingo Visitor Center
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitor center in the village of Flamingo.
Auburn, Michigan
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Wanted to go to end of Everglades park - no need to go back.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

We've been through alligator alley a few times, but never went to the Everglades Park so we spent the night in Homestead and made our way through the park to Flamingo the following day. As a birder I was a little disappointed we didn't see more, but you can't control when wildlife will present itself, so we just had a nice scenic drive. Flamingo is as most people described - large grassy area with a visitor center and marina with a small store. There is a restaurant connected with the visitor center - nothing special. There are campsites at end of the road and trails and boardwalks all along the way. We did see purple gallinules and black-necked stilts at this park so that was cool. We also saw spoonbills here, but I had seen them previously at a different park. Now that we've been there, we most likely wouldn't go back - lots of other birding hot spots in Florida that are easier to get to. We stayed at the Redland Motel and it was really nice.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
New York
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Quick visit, not much to do here”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2014

There is not much to the visitor center. The kids enjoyed looking at the animals in the museum part and you can read up on the park a bit. There is a small gift shop. Recommend to only go if in that area all ready.

Wiarton, Canada
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Do not recommend”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

This was the only Visitor Center in the Everglades National Park that were unfriendly. There were 3 ladies working there but I stood at the counter for 5 mins while they chatted and ignored me. A few people came up to the counter and two of these ladies waited on them 1st, ignoring my husband and myself, while the 3rd one went in a room off the reception area. My husband went off to look at the displays and I waited patiently until they were finished. They just chatted and wouldn't make eye contact. I am not sure why they were so rude. I finally gave up and we left without finding out what to do there. Would not recommend this Visitors Center to anyone. Linda & Darrell S-Ont Canada

Waldport, Oregon
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“Flamingo Visitor Center - Everglades NP”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2014

Good information in the visitor center for those visiting the area as well as several ranger-guided tours of the area. Excellent information resource.

Visited January 2014
Rockledge, Florida
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Visitor Center and Marina”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

We were camping at Flamingo and stopped by here before checking in. They have a really great view of the ocean. We came inside and talked to the rangers about the free canoeing trip they offer. It was booked for the two days that we were there but the ranger told us that they had room for a private boat that you could rent from the marina for just $20 right next store.The marina has a store there as well which we got fresh coffee from each morning. We came back at night and saw a lot of osprey, herons, and crocodiles.

The canoe trip was at Nine Mile Pond - it was great. The ranger that took us was named Daniel. He was very nice and knowledgeable about the Everglades. It was about a 4 hour canoe trip we saw lots of gators, a 13 foot crocodile, and birds. This was the best canoe trip I have ever been on. I highly recommend signing up for this.

Visited January 2014