Book In Advance

from US$170.27
from US$153.79
from US$197.99
2,117 results
All reviews indian garden plateau point bright angel phantom ranch rest house rest stop great hike mile resthouse mile mark mile house colorado river grand canyon rest area south kaibab water stops turned around hiked down
Reviewed 5 April 2012

This was a fun hike down. I was with my daughter of 10 years old and my parents who are in their 60s and 70s. There were some icy sections at the top which were hard for my parents to negotiate but not really a problem for the rest of us. We got only 1.5 miles down and the views were nice of course since it was the grand canyon. Wish we could have hiked all the way down to the edge which was about 7 miles down. I was told it would take 12 hours to go down and up but that would have been impossible with the company I had. The weather was good for hiking since it was cool the whole time. Definitely needed water on the way back. It was pretty steep in certain areas on the way up but overall, it probably took about 2.5 hours to hike the 3 miles round trip. I hiked it in my running shoes and had no problems but I run trails in them a lot.

Date of experience: April 2012
2  Thank Ltzz
Reviewed 4 April 2012

We did not go all the way to the bottom of the trail, but did get to the first stop. That took about 1hr and 30min. on the way down and about the same uphill. Great experience for the kids.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

Longer trail, but less steep, beautiful views and toilet stops. Water along the way. Again not a good trail to do in hot weather.

Date of experience: January 2012
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Great option for hiking the canyon. On the way down be prepared for a hike down, down, down! There were some slick spots so wear good shoes. On the way up we needed to take breaks...it is challenging. Great option for hiking though. Bring lots of water!!

Reviewed 27 March 2012

I read a lot of posts and followed the recommendations wrt water, traction aids, and pacing and my family (wife, 7&10 year olds) survived. I say survived because it was March 16 2012 and the GC had just experienced a warm spell after a prolonged cold spell so the trail, which faces North and is shaded a lot, was very icy.
There were many people attempting to go down with just running shoes and it was terrifying to see these people slip and fall on the ice when they could easily take out their companions and fall hundreds of feet to their death.
That is pretty much all I could think about on the way down and up. I spent the whole walk up saying to myself, "I am never doing this again".

The hike itself for the first leg took approx. 3.5hrs at about the same time for up and down owing to the ice.

Regarding traction aids. We had both Stabilicers and Yak Trak. Stabilicers had difficulty staying on and we lost one foot on the way. We cut up an extra shoelace I had to tie together the front rubber parts of the remaining 5 Stabilicers so they would not slip off. Based on my observation, however, my family seemed to slip less on the Stabilicers than the Yak Trak I had. Both perfomed well and were crucial to our survival on this hike in winter. I did notice a paid guide with a family that had insole crampon type aid that also worked. Three of us also had walking sticks and found them helpful. I had a Leki Wanderfeud and the kids had Black Diamond First Strike. My wife, who was skeptical about all the gear I bought for this hike, was grateful in the end for all the prep I did.

Another important thing you might think about is the view you get. You hike about two mile but your view hardly changes; you really need to get out onto the plateau past Indian Gardens to get to a "Whoa" moment again. Also, if you came down the South Kaibab Trail and want to go up, the Bright Angel affords you some shade as you make your way to the top epecially if it is later in the day. I was told that the SK trail was also ice free but you are completely exposed to the sun all day.

I guess I am saying buyer beware for hikes in winter with snow and ice around.

3  Thank SteveCom