“Camping awesome ness”
Review of Mather Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Canyon National Park
Mather Campground
“Camping awesome ness”
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

The only campground with shower in the area. 2 bucks for 8 min for the shower. Clean toilets and its nearness to the canyon rim makes is the perfect way to camp at the canyon. Nice space and a wood fire circle with grill. Also these camp grounds allows pre booking so you wont be left campless.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dhruv K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
McCook, Nebraska
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We stayed in tent site 217. I was surprised to see how large the trees are. I think I was expecting it to be more scrubby bush stuff. It's quite a nice foresty campground. Sites are large. Ours was a bit sloped, but it was ok. Definitely bring a sleeping pad or mattress. There are large rocks in the ground that are very uncomfortable otherwise. The only wildlife I saw at the campground was elk. The entire campground was full when we visited in early June and I did hear 3 car alarms go off in the early morning hours (like 5AM) which was annoying, so don't expect a pristine remote wilderness type of camping. It was a typical campground experience- occasional crying babies, loud laughs, etc. At night we didn't have a lot of noise. It was cold enough that there were no bugs.

Restrooms don't have soap, and they are basic but functional. We didn't use the showers. In the future I'd try to stay at a loop closer to the shuttle buses. We drove to the visitor center and took the buses from there. At 8:30AM the parking lots there were empty, but by lunch time they are jam packed and cars are circling everywhere to find spots. Being closer to the campground shuttle would be handy if you're planning to visit things mid-day.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank NebraskaChick23
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We spent 4 days/3 nights in Mather campground at Grand Canyon.

*Typical of the NPS, the camp sites are LARGE. You can easily fit two oversized tents on one site. This primitive campground lacks water and electric at the individual sites but is quiet and nicely laid out. Each site has a fire ring with an adjustable grate. Most sites are well shaded however some have no shade at all.

*The rest rooms, showers, and laundry are dated but well maintained.

*Go early in the morning if you want to avoid a queue for a shower.

*The rangers are the camp entrance are helpful.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank TravelingTails
Cathedral City, California, United States
Reviewed 26 May 2014

The Mather Campground at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon offers convenient, clean, good sized tenting sites. The campground is large with many loops, but feels cozy. The sites are roomy with a large picnic table and firering with adjustable grill. Reservations are a must. The camper service area adjacent to the ranger registration area provides campers with ice, a laundry facility and showers with hair dryers. At the camp sites flush toilets, sinks, potable water and a kitchen sink area for dish washing provides necessary convenience. Shuttle buses depart from the registration area and Market Place which stocks groceries, fresh produce, meat, etc is nearby. Mather is quiet. The parking area associated with our site needed repaving but that is my only negative comment.

Room Tip: For ease of catching the shuttle select a site on a loop closer to the ranger registration area. Be...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marcia S
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

The primitive camp sites are close together. Our neighbors were Very Obnoxious and Loud until 11:30 PM, well pass quite hours. We called the ranger's station to complain, it took them a while to respond, but the ranger came out and gave them a stern warning. The bathrooms have no soap dispensers, and the showers are on the opposite end of the campsites! $2 for an 8 minute shower is a little step compared to other campsites. It is however scenic and the bus runs right by the camp sites.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Allison L
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Environment - As a first-time camper, I thought it would be setting up a tent on a dirt ground where wild animals and mosquitoes roam and bears come for midnight snacks, I was completely wrong! I was there for the weekend and this campground was well populated with campers. The spaces assigned for tents are well distributed, so you have just the right amount of space between you and your neighbors. The dirt ground is clean (hmmm... yes.. but it makes sense) and there are trash chutes and recycle chutes around. I stayed at site 103 and it was just little way from the restroom (not the laundromat with showers) and the road to get out of the campground so it was pretty convenient.

Temperature - It was COLD when I was there this past weekend (May 10-11, 2014). It was snowing the next morning. Rented the tent and sleeping pad (they're supposed to provide insulation, but they were super thin and I don't know if they made a diff; we brought an air mattress on our own so we put the sleep pads on top of the mattress, and then our sleeping bags) at the General Store there and it blocked the wind very well, but the sound and the temperature could be scary. I wrapped myself with a down jacket and a fleece blanket inside the sleeping bag, and wore fluffy slippers while going to sleep, it kept me warm fine. Check the weather before going, and make sure your sleeping bag can provide enough insulation and support certain temperatures.

Restrooms - (1) a restroom-only building (I did my morning routine there) (2) a laundromat where you can do laundry and take showers. The showers are more than what I had expected! The laundromat has 16 stalls, I think, and as one of the girls in the shower said "this is the most worthwhile 2 dollars spent at the Grand Canyon!"

Bugs - This was one of my biggest concern, and I did not see any bugs. Either it was too cold for them, or they were too small for me to see. I did not even open the package of the bug repellent I bought.

Wildlife - My friend who went there a few days ahead of us said he saw an elk one morning, but I didn't see any, not even a squirrel; I attended an evening program at the Shrine of Ages building in which a ranger was talking about mountain lions, and he kidded about the mountain lions are active just outside of the boundaries of the campground, but he was really just kidding, I believe.

Lighting - it's pitch dark at night. Do bring your headlamp so you can free your hands while trying to gather things for your shower, or cook at your campsite. It was close to full moon when I was there so I couldn't see a lot of stars. And there are tall trees around so the view of the sky is not too broad.

If you plan to go see the sunrise at the Grand Canyon, you can spend $18/day and camp at this very well maintained campground, or pay $200+/day to say at the lodge there (which does provide a very good view of the sunrise too). I'm super glad that I camped here. I did wake up at 4:50am and drove to the Mather Viewpoint (5-10 min driving) to watch sunset the 2nd day I was there. It was breathtaking and many elks were out roaming around and feeding on the plants! It was quite a scene.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank lifesdelights
Gallup, New Mexico
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We enjoyed this campground. I felt that the space between spaces was reasonable. The bathrooms were nice, but had no soap. The shower facilities were nice. We were in the pine loop and it was quiet at night. Next time I think I would rather be closer to the showers. One of our neighbors left a lot of trash around their site and I saw them get a ticket from a ranger. Do not leave any trash out unless you want to attract crows. Overall a pleasant camping experience.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon
Canyon Plaza Resort
Canyon Plaza Resort
#5 of 6 in Tusayan

Been to Mather Campground? Share your experiences!