“Basic but nice North Rim lodging experience”

Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim
Boston, Massachusetts
“Basic but nice North Rim lodging experience”
Reviewed 13 October 2011

We enjoyed a one night stay in the motel part of this lodge. The room was basic but had everything we wanted in a room for the night. As others have written the bathroom and shower area is small. The shower head is lower than most hotel rooms. The amount of space in the room is tighter than most modern hotel rooms. The weather was quite cold the night we stayed but the heat worked great - no complaints. For the experience of staying near the canyon it is worth overlooking these things. We had a great time and enjoyed our stay. If you don't get a room at first try keep checking back for cancellations. We only got our room 2 weeks before our arrival date.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sedum37

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Ireland
Reviewed 12 October 2011

Loved the look of the Lodge. It seemed welcoming and comfortable, especially given the weather was chilly and damp. Frontier cabin seemed cute when we got there, and loved the outside of it, but inside it was very poky. No space to put anything. Small beds - 2 double and a single. 3 people in this poky space is way stretching it. Curtains that didn't fit the windows when you closed them and left big gaps letting in light. Luckily we only had 1 night booked. Fronteir cabins are way too small for an extended stay.

Great location, on the Rim of the Canyon. Accessibility to the auditorium and the canyon room with the view need to be sorted out. Stairs, and no ramps for wheelchair accessibility.

Dining was a major disappointment. It was cold in there, as the dining room is open to the lobby and the celings are really high. The lighting was absolutely awful. People were using maglites to see the menu! The Lodge seems proud of this as they see it as enery efficient, but it needs to be sorted out big time. I'm all for soft lighting, but you could barely see the people you were sitting with - and you can barely see the menu!

I ordered the fillet steak. It was the most expensive thing on the menu at $34 and I got a shock when it arrived. Steak, no sauce - not cooked to my request, it was overcooked. It was dry and unpalatable. 1 overcooked baked potato that might actually have been microwaved because the ends of it were like rocks and 3 tips of asparagas, with a small bit of sour cream on the side!! I should have sent it back, asked for it to be struck from the bill and got something else. It was dire. My husband fared better with the T-bone on risotto. I thought this was a weird combination, but at least he didn't have to eat dry meat!!

Service was really a little on and off. At dinner, the staff were smartly turned out and were attentive. Breakfast was the complete opposite, and the staff acted so casually as to hang out looking at the view having conversations with eachother and wore uniforms with sneakers and their own coats over the uniform. It was odd. Breakfast cost a fortune and was nothing special.

As it was damp and cold we looked forward to going to the saloon for a drink before dinner. It took us forever to get served, and our drinks were served in plastic glasses! I found this odd. It was just not a very comfortable place to hang out.

Overall, the Lodge needs a little work in terms of service and making the rooms a little more comfortable - especially given the money you spend to stay there.

UK
Reviewed 11 October 2011

We arrived to find that our pioneer cabin reservation had been given to someone else as they were overbooked. However another one available when cleaned. Asked for a description and almost walked out, a double bed and two bunk beds we consider not really suitable for people of our advanced years. Stuck it out, but it was not the most comfortable night of my life, the worst accommodation of our 4 week trip. Our bed was against a wall and sagged to the middle. We used the bunk bed room as storage for our luggage. Bedding clean, towels ok, shower tiny, lights inadequate. We too had a little visitor who ate through a cloth bag to partially eat an apple. Cabin a long way from parking, buggy delivered luggage to the room, but we were on our own to get out. Staff told us that tour groups got best accommodation and best eating times in the totally inadequate dining room.
Obviously the canyon is a wonderful thing to see, we were here 32 years ago (in a good cabin), but these concessionaires have a great deal to answer for and need to do something to bring this place up to 21st century standards. I would seriously suggest that people only make a day visit and stay at Jacob Lake or similar - food better anyway. I have written this review after a lot of thought and with great sincerity.

Room Tip: Only accept best cabins.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Peripatetic2
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 10 October 2011

We were able to book a room in one of the cabins and were more than happy with the accommodations. I expected rustic but everything was very up-to-date with plenty of room and all the modern ammenities one would expect in any hotel. We had a wonderful and relaxing time and a beautiful part of the USA!

Room Tip: Book early and if they are full when you call, keep checking. We tried 4 months ahead and were fort...
Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Location, location, location-the best thing about this place! The four of us stayed in one of the "rustic" cabins which had one room with a double bed. The second room was separated by the bathroom which had a couch futon which was unusable as a bed and a bunk bed. Most cabins are quite a hike from where you park your vehicle. If you go there in the fall be sure to ask for extra blankets-we froze our first night there! The surrounding eateries are overpriced and don't offer very good dining. We were very disappointed in the Lodge dining room, after making reservations 9 months in advance --they served my Dad undercooked salmon and didn't seem overly apologetic about it. I'd recommend you camp out at the campground (which is what we did 4 years ago)--- terrific showers and you can cook your own meals. Buy your food before you get there-the General Store has slim pickings and is WAY overpriced.

Room Tip: As for a cabin closest to the parking lot and/or lodge.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank copejenney
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I felt like I was at summer camp for adults. Since I didn’t get to go to camp as a kid, this was an awesome experience for me.

The bathroom looked like it was updated – very clean, but not so overdone so as not to be in the spirit of the cabins. I loved the rustic environment, the quiet setting, and sleeping in a log cabin. The room had a double bed and a single bed.

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen a hotel room with stationery to write home (didn’t see any envelopes.) The paper had a beautiful color picture of the Grand Canyon - I brought it home as a souvenir.

The drive from the South Rim to the North Rim was interesting. The trees at the North Rim were turning, which added to the enjoyment of the view out the window.

I felt like I had stepped back to the day when the Grand Canyon was not overrun with tourists due to its remote location and the fact that the average person did not take vacations. This was how I imagine early tourists experienced the area.

I had packed my pajamas because I correctly assumed it would be cooler at night. I was quite comfortable without having to look for a thermostat- which I'm sure there was one.

I attended 2 ranger talks – there’s no TV so this was entertainment for the evening. Both of the young rangers were personable and the talks were informative and interesting.

I enjoyed 2 breakfasts and 2 dinners in the lovely lodge with views of the canyon. The food was good and the atmosphere wonderful. Our group took a sack picnic lunch to a lookout point in the park – I highly recommend this.

Be sure to send yourself a postcard from the North Rim post office – only 10% of Grand Canyon visitors find their way there due to the remote distance. The workers at the stores and the visitor’s center were very helpful and friendly.

If you don’t like rustic and remote, and you need your phone and Internet, you probably should just stay at the South Rim. If you are looking for a more unique experience in a quiet area, this is the place.

Room Tip: Go for the experience -- it's not Holiday Inn.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank hikerpatty
UK
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Location is unrivalled, the dining room unexpectedly good, but other food options were unjustifiably expensive and the accomodations fell well short of low expectations.

The log cabins were "rustic" as advertised - but you get only one half of one of the cabins you view, so be aware you will garner detailed knowlege of your neighbours bodily function (and they of yours) during your stay.

Our cabin was full of mice - and having grown up in the country I reject the proffered excuse that this is implicit within the term rustic. To confirm what another reviewer mentioned, the carpet was not cleaned before, or at any time during, our 2 night stay, depite the fact that we had reported the mouse infestation, and the lodge acted on this with multiple mousetraps.

Indeed housekeeping also ignored the do not disturb sign on the door of the cabin on the morning following our second night.

Frankly, i would have preferred to slep in the hire car, but the lodge may have encountered this before as there are multiple signs in the car park prohibiting this.

The general store and the deli are inexplicably expensive for standard groceries or mediocre fare, but I would commend the restaurant on a good quality of food in an unrivalled location at a not unreasonable price.

The nearest alternatives are however an hour or more away, so if you want to see the woner that is the GC North Rim (and you should) then grin and bear it (or take a cat / hire an RV).

An opportunity missed - better housekeeping would improve the situation greatly - Xanterra - please try harder - we shall avoid your brand in future - poor quality accomodation / housekeeping at premium prices.

Room Tip: Take electronic mouse repellents and complein if your room has not been vacuumed
2 Thank BFG
Holiday Inn Express Grand Canyon
El Tovar Hotel
El Tovar Hotel
#1 of 3 in Grand Canyon National Park

Been to Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim? Share your experiences!