Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim
US$118
US$181
US$154
QualityInn
Maswik Lodge(Grand Canyon National Park)
TripAdvisor
  • Restaurant
Yavapai Lodge(Grand Canyon National Park)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Restaurant
El Tovar Hotel(Grand Canyon National Park)
No availability for your dates from our partners
2,337 results
All reviewswestern cabinpioneer cabindining roomporter servicebright angel pointin advancegrand canyonrocking chairssun roomjacob lakegas fireplacethese cabinsdouble bedfront porchmain restaurantdinner reservationsnational park
Reviewed 20 October 2011

This side of the canyon is very quiet and has the same great views of the Grand Canyon. We stayed in one of their rim cabins and wow, we overlooked the canyon (4 cabins with rim views). The restaurant served very good food and the windows overlooked the canyon. They also have easy trails below the lodge that give great views of the canyon. This was a great place to stay!

Room Tip: Cabins 301 & 306 have the best views of the canyon. 305 & 309 are also on the canyon rim but have a partial view of the canyon due to trees/shrubs adjacent.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DDLVKL
Reviewed 19 October 2011

The lodge is the best place you can probably stay in the north rim and the south rim.. it has the best view specially from the inside in case you are visiting in winters you don't need to step out of the resort the main lobby has a huge glass panel where you can sit and just admire the beauty of the canyons.

Room Tip: Book well in advance..
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank MayankInd
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Unfortunately, this is the only location if you want to be at the North Rim. A historic lodge that has even less amenities than a normal National Park lodge. We were in a "top line" cabin. It had no drawers, shelves,no end tables; no shelves or storage in the bathroom for shaving kit, make-up, etc; it had a wall heater on the far wall that had no chance of heating the bathroom. Housekeeping was sloppy and they could not repair the soap dispensers. The ice machines were broken. We did not expect a TV in the room, but there were no publicTVs anywhere in the lodge. There is no internet, WiFi, or even any computers available for guest use. No newspapers are available. The entire operation is poorly managed, especially the food operation.

Room Tip: Just spend the day and eat somewhere else.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RexallWillie
Reviewed 17 October 2011

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the North Rim. Our cabin was very comfortable, and our dinners at the dining room were quite good. The location is gorgeous so why should anyone complain if everything is not absolutely perfect?

The only thing which marred our experience was the lack of consideration shown by people who had no respect for the serenity of this beautiful place and for the other visitors who were there to enjoy it. One large group of adults in their 30s was having a rollicking good time on Saturday afternoon, partying outside their cabins. Decked out in luau skirts over their hiking slacks, they were laughing and shouting, drinking freely, and playing some ridiculous games. I asked a ranger if they were allowed to make such a public disturbance which was bothering all the other visitors. He responded no and said that he would talk to them. However, they were still partying when we returned an hour or so later. Fortunately, we were not disturbed by them during the night.

Unfortunately, that role was taken on by the group in the other unit in our cabin. Apparently, they were celebrating having gone rim to rim in one day. I was awoken from a sound sleep at about 11:30 pm with loud shouting and singing. I called the front desk which sent security. The group quieted down for about an hour but then started up again. Finally, after another visit from security, there was no more noise. Needless to say, I got very little sleep that night which was disappointing because we were planning to hike part of the North Kaibab Trail the following morning. The next day we moved into another cabin and did not have any further problems.

I was very surprised by this total lack of consideration by these two groups. I think that the rangers and the lodge security staff tried to do their best to control these groups, but obviously these people did not care at all if they were disturbing other visitors. I hope that my experience is not very common, but future visitors need to be aware that they may not find the tranquility and serenity which they should be able to expect.

Just a hint to anyone who is initially disappointed not to find any rooms available - keep on trying! I tried to find a room only three weeks before my desired date. On my first attempt on the online reservation site, all the rooms were taken. The next day, a room was available on my desired date. The following day, I was able to get a room for two days in a row. I kept checking, because I was hoping to get a rim cabin. Even though I didn’t succeed, I saw many rooms come available, the closer I got to my desired date. Keep checking online, and even if the date you want is shown as not being available on the online calendar, click on the date to make sure. It seems to take some time for the calendar to be updated. Build some flexibility into your schedule in case a room does become available. We met two different couples who had tried to obtain rooms at the North Rim months before we did but made other arrangements at much greater distances when their initial attempt did not produce a room.

Room Tip: It is more convenient to be near the parking lot, but there are porters available to help you with your luggage for cabins located at a greater distance.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chemins-du-monde
Reviewed 14 October 2011

LOVED our Pioneer, Rim-Side cabin!!! I travelled with two children and loved the floor plan. Upon entering the cabin, you find a double bed, a refrigerator, a luggage rack, and a bench. There's a coffee maker, too. The bed was set against the window and actually had an unobstructed view of the canyon. Got to see the early morning fog rising from the canyon and the gorgeous sunsets, all from the comfort of my bed!

The bathroom is in the center of the configuration. Shower has unfailingly HOT water!! There is even a heat lamp in the exhaust fan combination.

The back bedroom area includes a futon (which we only used as a couch) and the super cool bunk beds! There is also a desk and sink/mirror in the back area. In addition, there is another door to exit the cabin.

We had SNOW during our visit, and the heaters on both ends were fabulous. I am ALWAYS cold, and I actually had to turn the heaters down, they were so hot!!!

The lodge itself was more than adequate. We enjoyed a ranger talk about condors there, booked a one-hour mule ride there, and bought some fabulous souvenirs at the gift shop. We got take-out from the deli (pizza slices and hot dogs) and all was fine. They offer fresh salads, fresh fruits, soups, and more there.

We had cabin 18 ~ awesome location and just steps from the lodge, with a convenient location to the parking lot.

Advice? Bring a cooler full of food ~ meats, bread, cheeses, peanut butter, jelly for sandwiches. Bring fresh fruit and cereal. Bring Gatorade, hot chocolate mix, even instant soups. Not once did we have a single issue with rodents of any sort ~ and believe me, I was on the lookout. (if you do bring food items, remember the disposable bowls, plates, cups, etc.!)

More advice? I really wanted a rim-side pioneer cabin, and I got it simply by faithfully checking the website every day. We started checking the site about two months before our intended departure.

The only puzzling thing from my visit would be . . . why can't they bat down the spider webs. The place wasn't covered with them, mind you, but it was odd. (Maybe it creates more of a problem to knock them down???) In addition, with all the dirt and dust from the hiking trails, and all of the food crumbs, it would've been nice to have had someone run through the cabin with a vacuum a couple of days within our four-day, three-night stay.

See my separate review about the hiking trails.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family