“Fronteir cabin”

Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim
Edmonton, Canada
“Fronteir cabin”
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I was going back and forth with myself on how I would write this review, but I decided it would be based solely on the accommodations because it affected my stay so much. Me and my husband had booked two nights at the Lodge - one night in a Frontier Cabin and one night in a Motel room. Luckily we were able to switch it when we got there and stay in the same room both nights.

The Frontier Cabin is tiny. There is a double bed, a twin bed, a small desk and that's it, aside from the bathroom. We checked in in the early afternoon and the first thing that struck me was how completely stuffy the cabin was. I can understand not having an air conditioner unit, but no fan?! Not even a ceiling fan! And no fans available from the front desk. We left the windows open while we were out, but we had to leave the curtains closed because of course all of our things were in the room, so it didn't help. We tried to sleep in the same bed together but it became unbearable after a few hours. It was too insanely hot. I don't know about other people, but I prefer to sleep in the same bed with my spouse. We also had to sleep with the windows open which is slightly odd because people are walking by all the time.

The bathroom was small, which is fine, but the lighting was very dark over top of the shower stall.

I am 100% of the camp that believes a room is only a place to stay, and therefore have no problem staying in basic rooms. However, this room was just plain uncomfortable and hindered my experience at the Grand Canyon as I was not rested.

Aside from the room, the Lodge is great. Every single one of the staff I encountered were great. Harry at the front desk is the best. Betty is awesome, too. The ranger talks are a cool way to learn more about the Canyon. The gift shop is fantastic. The outdoor patio areas are great day and night. Looking out at the stars in the evening is wonderful The food in the restaurants was just average, but what do you expect when they have to get it shipped in like that.

Of course the Grand Canyon is amazing, but that has nothing to do with the Lodge ;)

Perhaps some of the other rooms are more comfortable, but the Frontier Cabin was one of the cheapest options and was still $130 a night. I highly, highly recommend everyone see the North Rim. It was the most breathtaking natural wonder I've seen in my life.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissWanderlustCA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (630)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 August 2012

We were very pleased with our accommodations. Our cabin was well appointed and clean. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Many were seasoned travelers themselves. I can't say enough about the quality of people that we encountered. The restaurant at the lodge was very good. And of course, you can't beat the view out the windows. We would highly recommend anyone to stay here.

1 Thank June S
North Carolina
Reviewed 23 August 2012

The lodge is AMAZING. Views, views and more views. The restaurant food is terrific and fairly priced. At 5:30am, armed with a cup of coffee from the Saloon's am coffee bar (great cuppa joe!), I sat on one of the two large outdoor decks and watched the canyon colors shift as dawn broke; very special. The Frontier Cabins are as advertised - basic. Ours was small, clean and well tended with extra blankets and pillows; upscale camping providing, for us, the perfect canyon experience.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CCBNYCNC
Salt Lake City
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I've been to The North Rim numerous times but it's been over 10 years and it was time for a return. Our trip was just fabulous. My 16yo and I were over in the campground and my mother was staying in a Pioneer Cabin. I was impressed with how fresh and clean the cabin was. They are well taken care of. My 16yo and I used the shower in the cabin and also spent our last night in the bunkbeds because our tent flooded in a rainstorm.

My mother is 80 and struggled with the elevation and some leg problems - The Lodge provided a porter service that picked her up at her cabin in a golf cart and took her back and forth between the lodge/veranda. This was a HUGE benefit to her. She also had a small refrigerator, coffee maker, and plenty enough room.

I gave her one of our camp chairs for her room (probably the only things missing from the room are a chair and a microwave) and she was VERY happy. It's small but if you're spending enough time in there to be bothered by it then it's time to get out and enjoy The Grand Canyon!! Or at least the veranda and lodge living room.

We can't wait to get back next year!

merseyside
Reviewed 21 August 2012

staryed at the north rim one night only thank goodness, The place in my opinion is the pits.
Only one rocky walk, no way to walk down to the canyon. The cabin was primative to say the least - no air conditioning was the worse point as was crawling with insects all night, The lodge restaurant had 80% of its customers go down with bad food poisoning. I've been to the south rim twice which I love, you can go for lots of walks, walk down the mule trail catch shuttle buses to different walks, and you can see the colorado river at the bottom. This place was a great disappointment as I had my Daughter and Grand Daughter with me and they did not see the full magnitude that the south canyon shows. Booked with Archers never will again, 40% of the 26 day trip was disappointing.

2 Thank MerseysideKat
Eindhoven
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed in a rimside frontier cabin. It has 2 rooms seperated by a bathroom. One room has a double bed and one room has a bunkbed. the rooms were very clean , had a coffeemaker and even had a fridge!
Because the cabin is at the rim you have to walk a bit to get to the cabin. It was about a 5 minute walk from the parkinglot.
From our window we clould really see the rim, so it was worth the few extra dollars.

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Janneke24
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed in a pioneer rimside cabin. It was described as having more than enough space for 6; but our family , two adults and three children found it rather cramped. The rimside bit was a a disappointment; sure we were the cabin nearest the rim, but we couldn't see the rim as there were to many trees in the way! Partial view would be the better description.

Having said all that, The North Rim Lodge is a great place to stay. Nothing beats the view of the Canyon, which must be the most amazing thing I have ever seen. Staff are very helpful and everything works. Its clean, functional and geared up to short term visitors

Room Tip: Next time I wouldnt bother with the Rimside part. !