I was going back and forth with myself on how I would write this review, but I decided it would be based solely on the accommodations because it affected my stay so much. Me and my husband had booked two nights at the Lodge - one night in a Frontier Cabin and one night in a Motel room. Luckily we were able to switch it when we got there and stay in the same room both nights.
The Frontier Cabin is tiny. There is a double bed, a twin bed, a small desk and that's it, aside from the bathroom. We checked in in the early afternoon and the first thing that struck me was how completely stuffy the cabin was. I can understand not having an air conditioner unit, but no fan?! Not even a ceiling fan! And no fans available from the front desk. We left the windows open while we were out, but we had to leave the curtains closed because of course all of our things were in the room, so it didn't help. We tried to sleep in the same bed together but it became unbearable after a few hours. It was too insanely hot. I don't know about other people, but I prefer to sleep in the same bed with my spouse. We also had to sleep with the windows open which is slightly odd because people are walking by all the time.
The bathroom was small, which is fine, but the lighting was very dark over top of the shower stall.
I am 100% of the camp that believes a room is only a place to stay, and therefore have no problem staying in basic rooms. However, this room was just plain uncomfortable and hindered my experience at the Grand Canyon as I was not rested.
Aside from the room, the Lodge is great. Every single one of the staff I encountered were great. Harry at the front desk is the best. Betty is awesome, too. The ranger talks are a cool way to learn more about the Canyon. The gift shop is fantastic. The outdoor patio areas are great day and night. Looking out at the stars in the evening is wonderful The food in the restaurants was just average, but what do you expect when they have to get it shipped in like that.
Of course the Grand Canyon is amazing, but that has nothing to do with the Lodge ;)
Perhaps some of the other rooms are more comfortable, but the Frontier Cabin was one of the cheapest options and was still $130 a night. I highly, highly recommend everyone see the North Rim. It was the most breathtaking natural wonder I've seen in my life.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The more remote North Rim offers up its beauty and solitude to those willing to make a little longer trek to cooler temperatures and greener vegetation of the Grand Canyon's less visited rim. Time means little here in this Nirvana for nature lovers…abundant forest beauty and wrap-around scenic splendor as sheer walls hold in the Colorado River a mile below. The only developed lodging within the National Park’s North Rim boundaries this historic treasure has cabins and lodging tucked into the trees and dotting the canyon edge. The historic dining room with wall to ceiling windows gives diners the unique opportunity to take in the Canyon's views and tasteful regional and sustainable delights for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Reservations are recommended. For guests seeking a unique remembrance of their visit to this special place, there is a gift store and convenience store located at the North Rim. Authentic Native American handcrafts, jewelry and merchandise that is U.S.A. made by local and regional artists provide an array of gift items for guests to the Grand Canyon. Smell the pines, listen to the fluttering leaves of quaking aspen, and keep an eye out for a California condor, the largest bird in North America. The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is only open from mid May to mid October. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L., Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim Hotel Grand Canyon National Park
- Canyon Grand Lodge North Rim