“Loved it here, much better than the South Rim”

Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Loved it here, much better than the South Rim”
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We had a rim-side Pioneer Cabin for our 1 night stay at Grand Canyon North Rim. We loved the rustic furniture (especially the bunk beds and writing desk) and the bathroom which was absolutely spotless. We had a full size fridge and coffee maker, what more do you need for a stay in a log cabin. After check-in we made a reservation for dinner (there was no way we were going to miss out on a meal in that dining room with its spectacular views of the Canyon). Our cabin was ready and the only down side at the Lodge is that you have to leave your car in the main car park and carry your luggage to your cabin. We were getting quite hungry by this time but after checking a clock in the Lodge we realised we had gained 1 hour as we had entered a different time zone. Although this gave us extra time to stare at the Grand Canyon it also meant an extra wait for our dinner reservation!! There are plenty of look out areas dotted about and plenty of chairs to sit and admire the view. In the Lodge itself there are comfy sofas and chairs and floor to ceiling windows. When our meal time finally arrived we stood looking where there were empty tables as, of course, we wanted a window. The waiter finally called our name and started his long walk, where were we going? No it couldn't be, we are never that lucky! But YES we had a window table (and I'm sure it was the best in the room). It was just as if we were sitting in the Canyon, absolutely stunning!! Service was excellent and the food really good (especially the sirloin steak). We did not want to leave. We had a really good night's sleep (there is no air-conditioning but just open your windows, there are fly screens to stop unwanted bugs). Had our alarm set for early next morning and just had a short walk to take some wonderful shots of the sunrise. We picked some breakfast items up from the cafe and sat right on the edge of the Grand Canyon. Days don't start much better than this!! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and found it much more enjoyable and beautiful than the over crowded South Rim. On our way out we called at Point Imperial which was absolutely stunning and well worth a visit.

Room Tip: If we return we would choose a Western Cabin with a porch
3 Thank WaltzingMatilda06

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (593)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Our reservation was literally the best cabin in the entire lodge: Western Rim View #306. We reserved this cabin thirteen months in advance. We arrived to the cabin after a stay at Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the canyon, and this north rim cabin was better than anything we could have ever expected. It was spacious, comfortable, and very relaxing. So highly recommended that I fear reviewing it so favorably... I don't want to have to compete with you for a reservation!

The cabin was much larger than I expected with two queen beds, one night stand, one desk, one extra small table, an electric fireplace, a bathroom with a tub, and a small room with counterspace. The cabin was clean and extremely comfortable. There was no a/c in the cabin, but we went in August and, trust me, you do not need a/c -- at all. There was auto heat and a working electric fireplace, the latter of which we used a little in the crisp August evenings.

There are plenty of amenities at the park. The restaurant, deli, bar, coffee shop, gift shop, and viewing deck are all as close to the cabin as you can get. Prices are not exorbitant. The general store and laundry facilities are two miles away. Grilling and picnic tables are about a mile and a half away. You really don't need to bring a whole lot with you. Almost anything you need is right there. Porter service will help you with your bags if necessary. Cell service is spotty and the only wi-fi in the park is absolutely terrible and worthless. But then again, you're at the Grand Canyon, so chuck the phone and the facebook!!

Room Tip: 306 is hands down the best Western Cabin. 306 and 301 have the best views of all the Rim Views, but...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank LHTPA
Grand Junction, Colorado
Reviewed 24 August 2012

We stayed at the Lodge for three nights and ate dinner in the Lodge restaurant each night. The room was clean and always cleaned and well stocked each morning. The food and service at their restaurant was very good, and we especially liked the wide variety of dinner selections. The wine we excellent and Scott the maitre de was very helpful and accommodating. The staff were always pleasant and informative. It was a great stay and we always stay there upon our return.

Room Tip: Ask for a motel room that faces West or a cabin as far West as possible.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I was going back and forth with myself on how I would write this review, but I decided it would be based solely on the accommodations because it affected my stay so much. Me and my husband had booked two nights at the Lodge - one night in a Frontier Cabin and one night in a Motel room. Luckily we were able to switch it when we got there and stay in the same room both nights.

The Frontier Cabin is tiny. There is a double bed, a twin bed, a small desk and that's it, aside from the bathroom. We checked in in the early afternoon and the first thing that struck me was how completely stuffy the cabin was. I can understand not having an air conditioner unit, but no fan?! Not even a ceiling fan! And no fans available from the front desk. We left the windows open while we were out, but we had to leave the curtains closed because of course all of our things were in the room, so it didn't help. We tried to sleep in the same bed together but it became unbearable after a few hours. It was too insanely hot. I don't know about other people, but I prefer to sleep in the same bed with my spouse. We also had to sleep with the windows open which is slightly odd because people are walking by all the time.

The bathroom was small, which is fine, but the lighting was very dark over top of the shower stall.

I am 100% of the camp that believes a room is only a place to stay, and therefore have no problem staying in basic rooms. However, this room was just plain uncomfortable and hindered my experience at the Grand Canyon as I was not rested.

Aside from the room, the Lodge is great. Every single one of the staff I encountered were great. Harry at the front desk is the best. Betty is awesome, too. The ranger talks are a cool way to learn more about the Canyon. The gift shop is fantastic. The outdoor patio areas are great day and night. Looking out at the stars in the evening is wonderful The food in the restaurants was just average, but what do you expect when they have to get it shipped in like that.

Of course the Grand Canyon is amazing, but that has nothing to do with the Lodge ;)

Perhaps some of the other rooms are more comfortable, but the Frontier Cabin was one of the cheapest options and was still $130 a night. I highly, highly recommend everyone see the North Rim. It was the most breathtaking natural wonder I've seen in my life.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissWanderlustCA
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 August 2012

We were very pleased with our accommodations. Our cabin was well appointed and clean. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Many were seasoned travelers themselves. I can't say enough about the quality of people that we encountered. The restaurant at the lodge was very good. And of course, you can't beat the view out the windows. We would highly recommend anyone to stay here.

1 Thank June S
North Carolina
Reviewed 23 August 2012

The lodge is AMAZING. Views, views and more views. The restaurant food is terrific and fairly priced. At 5:30am, armed with a cup of coffee from the Saloon's am coffee bar (great cuppa joe!), I sat on one of the two large outdoor decks and watched the canyon colors shift as dawn broke; very special. The Frontier Cabins are as advertised - basic. Ours was small, clean and well tended with extra blankets and pillows; upscale camping providing, for us, the perfect canyon experience.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CCBNYCNC
Salt Lake City
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I've been to The North Rim numerous times but it's been over 10 years and it was time for a return. Our trip was just fabulous. My 16yo and I were over in the campground and my mother was staying in a Pioneer Cabin. I was impressed with how fresh and clean the cabin was. They are well taken care of. My 16yo and I used the shower in the cabin and also spent our last night in the bunkbeds because our tent flooded in a rainstorm.

My mother is 80 and struggled with the elevation and some leg problems - The Lodge provided a porter service that picked her up at her cabin in a golf cart and took her back and forth between the lodge/veranda. This was a HUGE benefit to her. She also had a small refrigerator, coffee maker, and plenty enough room.

I gave her one of our camp chairs for her room (probably the only things missing from the room are a chair and a microwave) and she was VERY happy. It's small but if you're spending enough time in there to be bothered by it then it's time to get out and enjoy The Grand Canyon!! Or at least the veranda and lodge living room.

We can't wait to get back next year!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Grand Canyon National Park
Maswik Lodge
Maswik Lodge
#3 of 3 in Grand Canyon National Park
3.5 of 5 bubbles 2,789 reviews

Been to Grand Canyon Lodge - North Rim? Share your experiences!